Thread: Boltergeist canyon

Boltergeist canyon

Planning on spending a few days around St. George/Zion and wanted to visit Boltergeist for a short canyon. Anyone know current conditions? Has it drained out and/or dried up from all the Oct. rains?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I can't remember any place in Boltergeist that would hold much water....

FWIW: Boltergeist is only a so-so route in my humble opinion. But it's next door neighbor, Yankee Doodle, is a fun adventure in normal conditions..... Yankee Doodle probably has water in in right now, but that's just a guess.

Yankee Doodle

YD does have water in places - around waist deep-ish. Can be avoided with modest climbing skills and sufficient body size. Great time to be in it!

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Hidden Star is a fun little romp in the same area. Wetsuit would be required. There is a keeper pothole there also.

Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
    Hidden Star is a fun little romp in the same area. Wetsuit would be required. There is a keeper pothole there also.
    Where are Boltergeist and Hidden Star in relation to Yankee Doodle? Same road?

I see the beta on ACA. Thanks for posting it there.
    --
    Matthew

"If your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously reexamine your life."

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    You just need to make sure you don't drop in the canyon too soon. It is boring if you do, go to my first rap coordinate.(first pic)
    I don't post anything on, or visit the aca site anymore.

Heres some pics................
    bogleyites have been known to use this canyon.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Boltergeist doesnt hold anything over waist deep which can be avoided with good stemming. Great fall/spring canyon. I would even do it in the winter, as long as there is no snow around. Hidden Star is a great short one. There are a few more in the area that are fun short canyons. Not worth the drive for any one canyon, but if you are planning on a little weekend marathon, you will have a great time.

Boltergeist

Went ahead and paid Boltergeist a visit on 11/14. Some potholes up top had water. Easy to avoid. Some water & mud at the bottom of the first rap. Water to mid-thigh at the 4th rap where it typically holds water. Not especially cold. Also a myriad droppings from deer or bighorn covered this section. A little surprised to find sling anchors at all rap stations. Thought the last rap was very nice & aesthetic. Overall found it an enjoyable & quick outting. The creek you walk back up was flowing nicely and can be easily heard from canyon rim.

Bogley BigShot
    Its a nice little canyon. We did it in the summer so it was totally dry. I like Yankee Doodle though because the fun downclimbs.