Thread: Is Zion advisable right now?

Is Zion advisable right now?

Not sure how the weathers been down that way, but up north it isn't ideal to really be hiking around.

I am looking at bringing a somewhat inexperienced backpacker, but rightfully equipped down to Zion this week. Planning on leaving SLC Wednesday night, with the hopes of leaving Lees Pass Thursday morning. The plan is to stay near Kolob Arch that night then head out Friday. Then a trip up the west rim trail, possibly Angels Landing on Saturday.

Will the trails be impassable, muddy, washed out? Would it be better to plan something different? I have never really been to Zion myself, Ive been more of a Canyonlands, Bryce person...

Any insight would be appreciated.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by kris View Post
    Not sure how the weathers been down that way, but up north it isn't ideal to really be hiking around.

I am looking at bringing a somewhat inexperienced backpacker, but rightfully equipped down to Zion this week. Planning on leaving SLC Wednesday night, with the hopes of leaving Lees Pass Thursday morning. The plan is to stay near Kolob Arch that night then head out Friday. Then a trip up the west rim trail, possibly Angels Landing on Saturday.

Will the trails be impassable, muddy, washed out? Would it be better to plan something different? I have never really been to Zion myself, Ive been more of a Canyonlands, Bryce person...

Any insight would be appreciated.
    Spent the day up on the East Side yesterday and there were scattered sprinkles. Could feel the temps. drop during the day. It's suppose to be clear for the rest of the week, but night temps quite low, particularly up near Lee Pass. Bring warm layers and warm bags and you should have a BLAST! I'm not sure if Lee Pass got any snow, but if so it would have been minimal. I would think the hiking should be awesome. Maybe a little mud in places, but it's pretty sandy once nearer to La Verkin Creek. West Rim should be really pleasant as well. Have a great time.

Bogley BigShot
    I heard we might have snow tomorrow?

Thanks for the heads up. I'll be taking off around 3pm today, we'll see how it goes.

Bogley BigShot
    No snow! It even feels nice outside.

Great mini trip. Ended up doing the west rim. I must say I was not impressed with most the trail up there being paved with cement. The hike down was brutal on the legs. Allthough the view up top at the campsite was pretty sweet.

I will have to opt for the Kolob area next time.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Great mini trip. Ended up doing the west rim. I must say I was not impressed with most the trail up there being paved with cement. The hike down was brutal on the legs. Allthough the view up top at the campsite was pretty sweet.

I will have to opt for the Kolob area next time.
    There are two parts of the Park referred to as "Kolob" - the Kolob Canyons and the Kolob Terrace. So "Kolob area" is non-specific... but I am just picking nits...

YES, the pavement is a pain. It is slowly being removed, now that Zion has a Trail Guy who is not mainly a Road Guy.

Tom

Who is the trail guy? I worked at the park (maintenance yard) for the YCC (youth conservation corps) for two summers I wonder if I know him?

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    There are two parts of the Park referred to as "Kolob" - the Kolob Canyons and the Kolob Terrace. So "Kolob area" is non-specific... but I am just picking nits...

Yes very.

Since most of what I know (which is limited) on Zion is that the West Rim trail is part of the Kolob Terrace, my next venture will be towards Kolob Canyon.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Yes very.

Since most of what I know (which is limited) on Zion is that the West Rim trail is part of the Kolob Terrace, my next venture will be towards Kolob Canyon.
    I think you mean "the Kolob Canyons" or "the Kolob Finger Canyons" - unless you mean Kolob Canyon, which is the canyon of Kolob creek, running from Kolob Reservoir along the north side of Lava Point, then down into the Narrows.

Hey, if it was easy, ANYONE could figure it out...

Tom

Sure dude, have at it.