Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 127 Hours - My Review

127 Hours - My Review

I got a chance to see 127 Hours the other night so I thought I would post my thoughts.

SPOILER ALERT: though many already know the story and have discussed some of the details in another thread, you may not want to read the following if you want to see the movie with a fresh perspective.

My background: I am not a canyoneer, but have frequented many slots and backpacked through much of southern Utah. I've read Ralston's book and have even had a few conversations with him personally. Because of all of this I was honestly afraid that I'd hate the movie; fearing it would be Hollywood-ized. But...

[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]I am happy to say I enjoyed the film. Director Danny Boyle brings a creative approach to telling the "epic" drama. His use of quick cuts (no pun), interesting sound design and creative camera angles keeps the audience engaged in what in many ways is a fairly simple

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks, Jamal. I've moved from the "I'll wait for DVD" camp to the "I'll see it in the theatre" camp - a very, very rare occurrence for me. Now I just have to wait for the darn thing to open in Vancouver.

Nice review Jamal. I really enjoyed the movie and was glad the Director stayed mostly true to the book.

Here is Ram's review. He heard the pool is Homestead Crater.

http://zionadventures.com/ZBlog/cany...-on-127-hours/

For those that dabble in the black world of torrents the sound track to the movie is already up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
    PS - Now if someone could just please post beta for the blue pool.
    Click here for beta on the "Blue Pool".

More information on filming locations and general riff-raff in this thread:

127 hours

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Click here for beta on the "Blue Pool".
    A few weeks ago, a blog for the Homestead Crater confirmed that the crater was the set for that particular scene. Ahh....warm water - now THAT would be nice in a canyon.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    A few weeks ago, a blog for the Homestead Crater confirmed that the crater was the set for that particular scene. Ahh....warm water - now THAT would be nice in a canyon.
    Hell.... I could have confirmed that for ya.... no need to wait for the blog....

We hold family reunions at Homestead.... that would be on my mother's side of the family....

I went scuba diving there about 20 years ago.... as far as diving goes it was one small step up from the local swimming pool and one giant step down from diving Benddovers Blue Lake.

Blog Entries
    Here's two articles I spotted in the SL Trib:

1) one is a interview with Ralston and the adaptation to the big screens
    2) the last one is article about the soundstage that they created in Sugar House.

Everyone is probably sick of all these stories by now, right??
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Dammit! Thanks for the review man. I have been aching to see this movie. But as near as I can tell the only two places playing it are in NY and Los Angeles. You would think they would have one place in Utah since the story takes place here. Awww well... I have a feeling the torrent will be available before the movie theatre expereince is. If anyone see's either, keep me posted.
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

Looks like it is going into much wider distribution next weekend. Finally opening here in Vancouver on the 19th, as it is in most major cities in the US (including SLC).

We won a chance at passes to the local premier on Wednesday night, but would have had to drive in to get the tickets right away - about 40 minutes away. No thanks, I'll go see it with the riff-raff on the weekend...

Looking forward to it.

Saw it last night in Boulder. Did not like it nearly as much as the book, primarily because the book was FAR more inspirational to me than the movie. The book is the main reason I got into canyoneering in the first place.

Many of the people in the theater had a big reaction to him drinking out of the pothole water. I thought to myself, "I drank worse water than that last time I did Imlay!"

Also, the canyoneering scenes with the girls was very obviously shot in the Leprechaun complex.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post
    Saw it last night in Boulder. Did not like it nearly as much as the book, primarily because the book was FAR more inspirational to me than the movie. The book is the main reason I got into canyoneering in the first place.

Many of the people in the theater had a big reaction to him drinking out of the pothole water. I thought to myself, "I drank worse water than that last time I did Imlay!"

Also, the canyoneering scenes with the girls was very obviously shot in the Leprechaun complex.
    Yup, it was shot in the North Wash.
    I saw it here in SLC on Wednesday, and I would say a good 1/4 to 1/2 of the audience, judging by their reactions, have NOT read the book or really know what the movie is about, per se. The book is obviously more in detail...but as a whole, I believe it shows the human determination of survival; which is very relateable since we can watch the person struggle, scream, see spit flying everywhere, see the frustration, as Aron goes through the various mental phases of coping with this reality.

I think the most inspirational quote in the entire movie (and book) is when he talks about how this rock and it's entire life is waiting JUST for him. And that every action and thing that he has done in his life takes him to this exact moment. And what happens next is our choice...
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

I saw the movie with my canyoneering partner the other night: man-date. The book was excellent and in particular, I think Aaron, in the book, came to grips with his own personality issues in a way that was more meaningful than the insights suggested in the movie. For me the most important teaching point from the book was the quote: "Geologic time includes now." I often tell myself that out in the backcountry. Bottom-line, we are ready to do more canyons. How far is that drive to Blue John? I was disappointed that when they showed him drinking out of the pothole that he didn't have to spit out a dead mouse or push away the corpse of a raven before filling up the water bottle. Of course that could only happen in a movie-right.

Driving to work this morning listening to the local public radio station (KUER) and what do I hear? The unmistakable voice of Mr. Iceaxe telling the listeners that if they want risk-free fun they should go to Disneyland, not canyoneering. Congrats, Iceaxe, and good sound bite.

I believe the ad said the canyoneering episode of Radio West will air tomorrow, or will it be Wednesday?

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KanyonKris View Post
    Driving to work this morning listening to the local public radio station (KUER) and what do I hear? The unmistakable voice of Mr. Iceaxe telling the listeners that if they want risk-free fun they should go to Disneyland, not canyoneering. Congrats, Iceaxe, and good sound bite.

I believe the ad said the canyoneering episode of Radio West will air tomorrow, or will it be Wednesday?
    They ran it yesterday, and it was their interview with Aron when the book came out. Still good today. Available for a listen over the interwebs at:

http://tinyurl.com/kueraron

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by KanyonKris View Post

Radio West (KUER 90.1 fm) is scheduled to run a program on canyoneering Tuesday morning.... 7:30 to 8:30 am.... or at least that is the latest info I have.... the show will feature several local (Salt Lake) canyoneers.

This is NOT the Aron Ralston program... the canyoneers featured didn't screw up and lose an apendage.

The program might run National.... or at least that was the drift at one point.... if so, I have no clue where else to find it.

You can listen on-line here: http://www2.kuer.org/listen_live.html

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    They ran it yesterday, and it was their interview with Aron when the book came out. Still good today. Available for a listen over the interwebs at:

http://tinyurl.com/kueraron

Tom
    Yes, I heard the rerun of the Aron Ralston interview over the weekend. But this was an ad for an upcoming Radio West program and I got the impression it was a new program about canyoneering. Sorry I'm fuzzy on the details, I was distracted by trying to arrive at work alive. I looked on the KUER / Radio West website but couldn't find any info about upcoming programs. Hopefully I'll hear the ad again. And if it is a program about canyoneering hopefully it will be available on their website.

And, hello ratagonia, been a while.

Update: Oops, didn't' see Iceaxe's reply, that's the info.

OK... I just heard the KUER promo.... they said it would be on at 7:30 and 8:30.... If that means they are going to broadcast it twice or in two parts I have no clue.

I really enjoyed the movie. It is worth seeing in the theater. After being sidelined for a year now, I can't wait to get back into the canyons.
    Some people "go" through life and other people "grow" through life. -Robert Holden

127 Hours

Anyone out there seen it yet? I attended a screening last week and thought James Franco nailed it right on! Anyways, just curious if any of you have gone to see it yet and what your feelings are. I wrote a review which you can see here but share your thoughts on the film as I'm curious. Thanks!

http://online.jpfreek.com/2010/11/21/127-hours/

OutdoorX4
    www.outdoorx4.com
    www.facebook.com/OutdoorX4
    twitter.com/OutdoorX4