Thread: Caving accident at Canteen Sinks Cave, Logan, UT

Blog Entries

Caving accident at Canteen Sinks Cave, Logan, UT

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=13184420

Nothing crazy, in regards to accidents - but still a accident. It reminded me of when moab_mark in his recent TR to Undercover canyon was talking about anchors exploding. Here's an example.......although, who knows what the anchor was or how he tied it...

"According to Cache County sheriff's Lt. Chad Jensen, 30-year-old Benjamin Buhr was hiking in Canteen Sinks Cave, which is located about a quarter mile from the parking lot in the Sinks area of the canyon, with his sister Friday around 3:30.

Buhr's sister told deputies her brother was climbing a 10-foot wall when the rock his rope was tied to came loose and he fell. The rock landed on his chest and forearm."

Anyone been inside the "cave"?
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    Anyone been inside the "cave"?
    Hard to admit that I'm still looking for it since it's just a little one right next to the road in Logan Canyon with a short rappel into an apparent sinkhole for an entrance. Anybody care to PM me some exact coordinates?
    seen all good people turn their heads each day so satisfied I'm on my way...

Ive been to this cave quite a few times.. I know one of the rescuers who pulled him out. We think we saw his blood actually. But, he was rappelling where he really didnt need to be but they had some beginners with them. But the 200 lb rock that he had anchored to came loose and came down on top of him. I saw the rock and it didnt look very fun. It was HUGE. If i knew how or what a PM was i would tell you how to get to it. Its very easy.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ndonaldj View Post
    Ive been to this cave quite a few times.. I know one of the rescuers who pulled him out. We think we saw his blood actually. But, he was rappelling where he really didnt need to be but they had some beginners with them. But the 200 lb rock that he had anchored to came loose and came down on top of him. I saw the rock and it didnt look very fun. It was HUGE. If i knew how or what a PM was i would tell you how to get to it. Its very easy.
    PM=private message. Click on their avatar and there should be a link that says "message" the user.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"