Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Of rope silos and rope management...

Of rope silos and rope management...

So how many people use rope silos?

[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]Thinking about getting one

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

They are the only way to go, makes rope management a breeze. Thats all I have ever done. Toms are the best also. They have some flotation, stiff neck and hold alot of rope.

Rope Bags
    Last edited by Pelon1; 11-07-2010 at 07:07 AM. Reason: Added Link
    IF YOU WON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!!!!

2008 V2K Classic LT
    2004 Toyota Tacoma
    Schwinn Homegrown
    CouchSurfing
    Patriot Guard Riders

[QUOTE=rsmiller;420635]So how many people use rope silos?

[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]Thinking about getting one

I've go one of Tom's Imlay Silos too. I love how much less time it takes to go after a drop-- less than half the time required for coiling. I just have one problem with it: how to attach it to my pack for the long hikes between raps. Perhaps I'm just using it wrong, but slinging it over my shoulder for a long time cuts into me and it doesn't sit on my pack very well. (I have a very small pack-- not an Imlay pack) I'd like to see one with smallish pack straps instead of the webbing that they have. Maybe I could learn to use mine better.

How do you all pack yours around over your packs? Pictures would be nice.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mtthwlw View Post
    I've go one of Tom's Imlay Silos too. I love how much less time it takes to go after a drop-- less than half the time required for coiling. I just have one problem with it: how to attach it to my pack for the long hikes between raps. Perhaps I'm just using it wrong, but slinging it over my shoulder for a long time cuts into me and it doesn't sit on my pack very well. (I have a very small pack-- not an Imlay pack) I'd like to see one with smallish pack straps instead of the webbing that they have. Maybe I could learn to use mine better.

How do you all pack yours around over your packs? Pictures would be nice.
    Matthew, Matthew, Matthew. You need to come down and take a class, I can see. The first thing you would learn is ...

Hand the rope off to one of your minions and say "here, carry this"...

Unless, of course, you are the youngest and strongest in your group, in which case you need a bigger pack.

Truthfully, no they don't carry all that well between drops. We usually give em to some young buck to carry, or hand them back and forth, tossing them past downclimbs. If you put them in a pack, they disappear from visibility.

Also helps to have a healthy remuda of ropes. While the one for the one or two long raps might be in someone's pack, the shorter 'working rope' is in a Bagarino and is easier to carry in the hand.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Also helps to have a healthy remuda of ropes.

Ya learned me a new word, Tom!

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    Remuda is a herd of horses from which ranch hands select their mounts. The word is of Spanish-American derivation, for "change of horses".
    Oh, and yeah - I've got a Bagarino, a medium Silo, and a Bagette. A selection of bags in which to keep my remuda of ropes.

Blog Entries
    just a quick derail, speaking of ropes

Emperor Tomulous,
    Do you know the rope weights for a 200ft 8.3mm, a 200ft 9mm, and 300ft 9mm?
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    just a quick derail, speaking of ropes

Emperor Tomulous,
    Do you know the rope weights for a 200ft 8.3mm, a 200ft 9mm, and 300ft 9mm?
    The rope comparison chart is here: http://imlaycanyongear.com/ropes2.php

Enjoy.

Tomulus Maximus

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus2000 View Post

Ya learned me a new word, Tom!

Oh, and yeah - I've got a Bagarino, a medium Silo, and a Bagette. A selection of bags in which to keep my remuda of ropes.
    The credit goes to Louis Lamour!

T

Blog Entries
    The rope comparison chart is here: http://imlaycanyongear.com/ropes2.php

Enjoy.

Tomulus Maximus
    hehe nice! Didn't know that existed on your site. Thanks.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Thanks for the comments.... I think I'll give one a try...

Which size do people find the most useful... it seems the bagarino would be most useful....

When carrying a longer rope that you'll only use a couple of times, why even have a rope silo? Why not just stash it in your partners pack and then retrieve for the few times it will be used?

Did you click on the link about 4 posts up? It shows which bag for which rope. Silo's rule I personally own 7 of them. Buy one and try it and then you'll have one for every rope.

Quote Originally Posted by rsmiller View Post
    Which size do people find the most useful... it seems the bagarino would be most useful....

When carrying a longer rope that you'll only use a couple of times, why even have a rope silo? Why not just stash it in your partners pack and then retrieve for the few times it will be used?

If this long rope is in a silo you can use it all day long because you only have to use the amount you need. My buddy just went thru Behuniun recently and the guy he went with brought 2 300' ropes coiled. It was all the guy had. My buddy wanted to commit suicide by the end of the day from coiling all that rope all day long. I can't fathom rappeling a 70' drop with a coiled 300' rope.

After I drowned a standard rope bag in one canyon and had another bag float a mile downstream in a C canyon, I started using the silo. Never looked back. Definitely worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by moab mark View Post
    If this long rope is in a silo you can use it all day long because you only have to use the amount you need. My buddy just went thru Behuniun recently and the guy he went with brought 2 300' ropes coiled. It was all the guy had. My buddy wanted to commit suicide by the end of the day from coiling all that rope all day long. I can't fathom rappeling a 70' drop with a coiled 300' rope.
    I do not have any Small Silos at Canyoneering USA, but Bo might have one or two at the Desert Rat, and I know Zion Adventure Company has a few they could sell you.

Tom

I do not have any Small Silos at Canyoneering USA, but Bo might have one or two at the Desert Rat, and I know Zion Adventure Company has a few they could sell you.

Tom
    Quote Originally Posted by someone
    Rope Bag
    I think there is an error on the web site this bag is listed at $154

http://canyoneeringusa.com/shop/prod...cat=255&page=1
    The text on that items says I am out of them until April - but people still order them. So sometimes when I am out of stuff, I put a ridiculous price on em, which discourages people from ordering them.

Tom

The text on that items says I am out of them until April - but people still order them. So sometimes when I am out of stuff, I put a ridiculous price on em, which discourages people from ordering them.

Tom
    Trying to run off prospective customers?Wouldn't back ordering be a better idea?

Quote Originally Posted by mtthwlw View Post
    Perhaps I'm just using it wrong, but slinging it over my shoulder for a long time cuts into me and it doesn't sit on my pack very well. (I have a very small pack-- not an Imlay pack) I'd like to see one with smallish pack straps instead of the webbing that they have.
    I'll have to agree with this. Although I've only used the bag a few times (I have the small silo), I found it difficult to attach to my pack and it wouldn't fit inside. When in the canyon, it's no big deal because it's out most of the time but trying to figure out a way to secure it for the long approach will take some thought without having a few more sewn in clip loops (which would make this bag perfect in my mind).
    -------
    Jeff

"Be who you are, say what you feel.
    Because those that mind don't matter and,
    those that matter don't mind"

~Dr. Suess~

I took several of the larger silo's years ago and had a guy in Ogden sew back pack straps on them. I'll look for a picture. Use them alot in North Wash type canyons. Put the rope in the bottom, gear on top. Put on gear when you get to first drop and use silo as intended. But with the standard silos you either carry in your hand try to sling it over your shoulder or stick it in your pack. When going small distances between drops we biner them to the hand strap on the top of an Imlay Pack, the Silo just hangs on the side.