Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sterling ATS Canyoneering Rappel Device - Review

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar

Sterling ATS Canyoneering Rappel Device - Review

Sterling gave me an ATS to try out, and here is my report to Sterling (slightly edited):

Matt Andrews
    Sterling Ropes, Biddeford Maine
    August 31, 2010

Dear Matt
    Attached Images Attached Images   

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Very interesting, Tom. I wouldn't mind checking this out - I thought from the start that it looked like a variation on the Pirana, usage-wise. Intriguing that it has more friction - I like that idea, as a 200 pounder. Currently more expensive than a Pirana? By about how much?

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus2000 View Post
    Very interesting, Tom. I wouldn't mind checking this out - I thought from the start that it looked like a variation on the Pirana, usage-wise. Intriguing that it has more friction - I like that idea, as a 200 pounder. Currently more expensive than a Pirana? By about how much?
    They had not set the price as of August, and the 'natural' price for them would have been $ 39.99. A tough sell when the Pirana is $ 34.95. They went as low as they could - and set the release price at retail for $35.99.

Tom

Hummm intriguing! Tom another question did you try the ATS device in a tube mode looks kinda clean, the anodization coloring still looks fresh?!?! There are a lot of potential options for tubular rigging as well, I would be curious about those friction settings and results. I am sure they would have similar outcomes, but just would like to know. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by bretoyce View Post
    Hummm intriguing! Tom another question did you try the ATS device in a tube mode looks kinda clean, the anodization coloring still looks fresh?!?! There are a lot of potential options for tubular rigging as well, I would be curious about those friction settings and results. I am sure they would have similar outcomes, but just would like to know. Thanks!
    I did not, though, I can see that it offers some good options there, and I might take it out of retirement for that. Specifically, I like plates with handles on them, so the braking power can be controlled with the whammy bar. Also allows for ez tie-off. But also allows for further use, after retiring because the Pirana mode is too chewed up. Did a Heaps trip with it as its last trip - faster to use than the Pirana because of the more-friction thing. Did not use it on the last two rappels as I was worried about it at that point. Used a newish Pirana extended, with leg loop biner and z-rig.

Tom

So at this point would you recommend this new toy over a pirana for 200 pounders? If you have tried one what's your opinion of the totem?

Quote Originally Posted by moab mark View Post
    So at this point would you recommend this new toy over a pirana for 200 pounders? If you have tried one what's your opinion of the totem?
    Yes, I like it better for over 185ers like me (ha, I wish, I really do!) - except I am concerned it might wear out faster than a Pirana. My test period was especially harsh so hard to say.

Because of my conflict with Rich, I have both not tried the Totem and consider it inappropriate for me to express an opinion on it.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Because of my conflict with Rich, I have both not tried the Totem and consider it inappropriate for me to express an opinion on it.

Tom
    This I find particularly interesting because I seem to recall you having some conflict with advocates of the WCCM - or more correctly, very strong reservations about their book. Some strong statements you made in regard to the book may have implied (or created) conflict with the authors, at least. Am I mistaken in that recollection? Or was there conflict which was resolved?

Hmmmm

Have you ever tried rigging your pirana upside down. I was playing around with different ways in Undercover and rigging it this way really increased the friction. It stays under the hook easier which really bends the rope. Like using a fig 8. Also if wanting more friction changing over to left handed half way down really puts a pinch on the rope. A concern I had is you could be rubbing on the gate when going over the edge. But it creates alot more friction.
    Name:  PB070004..jpg
Views: 4294
Size:  111.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus2000 View Post
    This I find particularly interesting because I seem to recall you having some conflict with advocates of the WCCM - or more correctly, very strong reservations about their book. Some strong statements you made in regard to the book may have implied (or created) conflict with the authors, at least. Am I mistaken in that recollection? Or was there conflict which was resolved?

Hmmmm
    I have no specific conflict with Travis and Darren, though I found their book rather weak. I have been meaning to do a better job of reviewing their effort, since my "quick-hit" review was also rather weak! They graciously have forgiven my trespasses, aided by my admitting to Travis that my comments were perhaps kind of hasty.

Additionally, while Sterling and ATS are Colleagues, they are not the same company.

Tom

Have you ever tried rigging your pirana upside down. I was playing around with different ways in Undercover and rigging it this way really increased the friction. It stays under the hook easier which really bends the rope. Like using a fig 8. Also if wanting more friction changing over to left handed half way down really puts a pinch on the rope. A concern I had is you could be rubbing on the gate when going over the edge. But it creates alot more friction.
    Name:  PB070004..jpg
Views: 4294
Size:  111.4 KB
    You get more friction because you are using a rope path identical to the original rope path. Piranas get faster as they wear.

Turn the biner over. Have it attached as normal, then rig it "upside down" like you show. The gate will be on top, and you will get more friction. This is a good trick Mark that I had not thought of - though really you have just started wearing it on the other side. Good for getting the original friction back, but it does not really truly add life to the product since we are wearing in the same spots, just on the other side.

Alternatively, if you flip the Pirana over (ie, left-handed configuration) and rig the rope right-handed, then you get new material to rappel on. But, the bigger horns are on "the wrong side", thus making some function maybe not as easy to use.

Tom

With the biner up you can not rig it upside down without taking the pirana off? From my test you are not getting back to normal friction you are getting substantially more. By how your brake hand pulls down you put a much tighter bend in the rope. The brake strand is looping over itself which creates the extra friction. You can pull it down on itself like an 8 allows you to do.

Edit
    If you squeeze the rope against the biner with your left hand it really increases the friction. Give it a whirl. Set it up both ways and try it you'll be suprised.

With the biner up you can not rig it upside down without taking the pirana off? From my test you are not getting back to normal friction you are getting substantially more. By how your brake hand pulls down you put a much tighter bend in the rope. The brake strand is looping over itself which creates the extra friction. You can pull it down on itself like an 8 allows you to do.

Edit
    If you squeeze the rope against the biner with your left hand it really increases the friction. Give it a whirl. Set it up both ways and try it you'll be suprised.
    Hmmm yeah, ya got a point there, unless you skip rope over the whole loop maybe...

True, subtle changes in the rope path can result in remarkable changes to the friction.

T

Great review of that rap device, Tom.

Horny little bugger...

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Tom
    Did I miss it or was there some literature describing the intended friction settings and other uses?
    I can see several options for rigging this device, some might not be their recommended settings.
    Just curious what they do suggest.

They had not set the price as of August, and the 'natural' price for them would have been $ 39.99. A tough sell when the Pirana is $ 34.95. They went as low as they could - and set the release price at retail for $35.99.

Tom
    Ooooops. I stand corrected. The Final Price on it IS $ 39.99.

Mine did not come with any literature, Matt just gave me one off the rack. It has settings just like the Pirana.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
    Just curious what they do suggest.
    Don't need friction just Autoblocks
    Last edited by Pelon1; 11-11-2010 at 04:49 PM. Reason: wasn't smart assy enuf
    IF YOU WON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE, FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM!!!!

2008 V2K Classic LT
    2004 Toyota Tacoma
    Schwinn Homegrown
    CouchSurfing
    Patriot Guard Riders

Ooooops. I stand corrected. The Final Price on it IS $ 39.99.

Mine did not come with any literature, Matt just gave me one off the rack. It has settings just like the Pirana.

Tom
    Just got word - not available until some time in January. Got some coming then.

Tom

That looks like an interesting device! I like how big the ears are. That would make for easy tie-off for pics, resting or helping someone. It might be a little too much friction for me though.... only 150 lbs! haha
    Murphy's Law: "If anything can go wrong, it will."

Now available at the CUSA website -

http://canyoneeringusa.com/shop/prod...cat=251&page=1

Tom