Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Utah Football 2011

Utah Football 2011

WALNUT CREEK, Calif.--The Pac-10 Conference office released the 2011 football schedule today and Utah's first game as a Pac-12 member will be at USC on Sept. 10. It is Utah's first visit to the Coliseum since 1948. Utah's first Pac-12 home opponent is Washington--a team that has never played the Utes in Salt Lake City--on Oct. 1.

The Utes will compete in the Pac-12 Southern division, meaning they will meet Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado, UCLA and USC every year, and four teams from the Northern division on a two-year home-and-away cycle. Utah's 2011 and 2012 Northern division opponents will be California, Oregon State, Washington and Washington State.

Utah's 2011 Pac-12 schedule features home games against Washington (Oct. 1), Arizona State (Oct. 8), Oregon State (Oct. 29), UCLA (Nov. 12) and Colorado (Nov. 26). Pac-12 road games are at USC (Sept. 10), Cal (Oct. 22 in AT&T Park in San Francisco), Arizona (Nov. 5) and Washington State (Nov. 19).

The Utes will open the 2011 season against Montana State on Thursday, Sept. 1 (all other games will be played on Saturday). Utah also plays two non-conference road games at Brigham Young on Sept. 17 and at Pittsburgh on Oct. 15.

"We are pleased that the league announced the schedule this early so that our fans can begin making plans to attend as many home and away games as possible," said Utah Director of Athletics Dr. Chris Hill. "Without question, this is the most challenging schedule in Utah football history, but also the most exciting. Not only is our Pac-12 Conference schedule demanding, but we have non-conference road games at BYU and Pitt. Next season is the start of a new era of Utah athletics."

The nine-game 2011 Pac-12 schedule nearly doubles the previous number of games Utah has played against current Pac-10 teams in a season. In 1968, the Utes played Oregon State, Washington State, Oregon, Arizona State and Arizona, but the latter two were members of the Western Athletic Conference with Utah at the time.

Game times and television for the 2011 Pac-12 games will be determined later.

Name:  Screen shot 2010-&#4.png
Views: 1082
Size:  67.8 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The good news is no Oregon or Stanford next year and USC is under NCAA sanctions.... and the Utes should be returning the basics of a good team next year...

Utah should be well positioned to make a run at the PAC 12 title game.

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar

Norm Chow to Utah?

umm what about this story

By Robert Jackson, ksl.com sports writer

SALT LAKE CITY -- Utah coach Kyle Whittingham mentioned the need to upgrade the program as they transition into the PAC-12 in the 2011 season. One early report is indicating that he is doing just that.
    Tom Dienhart, a sports writer for Rivals.com, is reporting that the Utes are expected to hire Norm Chow as offensive coordinator and Tim Davis as offensive line coach. The hires are expected to happen soon. For Norm Chow, this would provide an opportunity to return to his alma mater. Chow was a two-year starter at offensive guard for the Utes (1966-67). . .

more at
    http://www.ksl.com/?nid=840&sid=13981012

Quote Originally Posted by trackrunner View Post
    umm what about this story

By Robert Jackson, ksl.com sports writer

SALT LAKE CITY -- Utah coach Kyle Whittingham mentioned the need to upgrade the program as they transition into the PAC-12 in the 2011 season. One early report is indicating that he is doing just that.
    Tom Dienhart, a sports writer for Rivals.com, is reporting that the Utes are expected to hire Norm Chow as offensive coordinator and Tim Davis as offensive line coach. The hires are expected to happen soon. For Norm Chow, this would provide an opportunity to return to his alma mater. Chow was a two-year starter at offensive guard for the Utes (1966-67). . .

more at
    http://www.ksl.com/?nid=840&sid=13981012
    This would be HUGE news.

imo, it would be bad news for the utes. i like norm chow, and consider him to be a genius at his peak. but his time has past. he has been anything but spectacular as an OC the last few years...

ymmv

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs View Post
    imo, it would be bad news for the utes. i like norm chow, and consider him to be a genius at his peak. but his time has past. he has been anything but spectacular as an OC the last few years...

ymmv
    Wait and see I guess. IMO, he is much better then we have. No question on that.

ymmv
    You musta been listening to the UCLA fans. Apparently that is what they think too. This will be interesting. Norm has been around the block and has a bunch of kudos to this name. I am not sure anyone has coached more Heisman trophy winners. .... Time will tell.
    Life is Good

granted, he has been around the block. he's obviously got the experience. i just think he's past his prime. the titans and ucla would agree.

granted, he has been around the block. he's obviously got the experience. i just think he's past his prime. the titans and ucla would agree.
    I could be wrong and I would have to look it up, but I thought the Titans had a couple good years with Chow and Young.

Just having Chow would really help recruiting too...

I know UCLA been down with Chow as OC.... but... I still think Chow would be good.... you know he has the abilities and its not like he suddenly forgot how to coach football...

if you consider less than 10 touchdown passes in a whole season with the titans a "good year." titans canned him.

yeah, he hasn't forgot how to coach. i'm just saying the games changed a lot in the last decade, not sure he has with it. He hasn't proven to be a really good OC since he left USC.

it still could be an upgrade for the yewts. just not sure this is a slam dunk is all. i have been wrong before though...

Whenever a team is doing poorly the fans start calling for the QB or a coaches head.... which is why Chow might be available.

and... he might be the best available coach, I have to think Chow is an upgrade over the current situation.

Lavell Edwards had a good joke about the fans and this situations, something to the effect of..... "The most popular man in Provo is always BYU's backup QB."

Pac-12 football: Hotline projections for the 2011 season

Posted by Jon Wilner on January 20th, 2011 at 6:40 am

The first Pac-12 football season, at this early point, looks to have four primary story lines:

1. It’s the first Pac-12football season.
    2. The duel between Stanford and Oregon for supremacy in the North — and presumably the entire conference. (Both teams figure to be preseason top-10 picks.)
    3. The expected ascension of Arizona State in the South, and
    4. The state of Troy, which will gain clarity after the NCAA rules on USC’s appeal for a reduction in scholarship losses and the bowl ban. (Note: The appeal will be heard this Saturday.)
    Most likely, offseason developments will generate another theme or two for us to consider throughout the spring and summer.

With the right to revise the picks following spring practice, and then again after training camp, here we go …

NORTH
    1. Oregon: The Ducks were 30 minutes better than Stanford in 2010 and get the slight edge headed into ‘11. The teams suffered comparable personnel losses (three OL, both WRs, numerous defensive starters), but Stanford must replace its head coach, primary playcaller and defensive coordinator.
    2. Stanford: All signs point to the North title being decided Nov. 12 at Stanford Stadium. But things that seem so obvious rarely unfold according to plan. Worth noting that the Cardinal does not play Arizona State.
    3. Oregon State: Despite losing Quizz Rodgers and Stephen Paea, OSU is the default pick for third. The gap between the top two and the bottom four looks to be enormous.
    4. Cal: The Bears don’t have a proven quarterback, but neither does Washington — and I’ll take the rest of Cal’s lineup over the rest of UW’s lineup. But it’s close. Very close.
    5. Washington: TB Chris Polk’s return helps matters, but there are major questions at QB and on defense. (Huskies allowed 28+ pts in two-thirds of their conference games last season. The unit had better be much stingier without a proven quarterback.)
    6. Washington State: Slotting the Cougars for last in the North but would not be surprised if they finished as high as fourth. They’re in better shape at QB than either the Bears or Huskies.

SOUTH
    1. Arizona State: The Devils have been building for ‘11 for three years. They have 20 returning starters, a favorable schedule and the league’s best defense. And a coach who knows his job is on the line.
    2. USC: Despite the roster attrition (transfers, NFL departures), the Trojans have more than enough talent to win the South. The key is getting the bowl ban reversed by the NCAA.
    3. Arizona: Heavy personnel losses on both lines result in the Cats getting slotted third, with a chance to finish lower unless Nick Foles takes his game to another level.
    4. Utah: Wouldn’t be surprised if the Utes, who return their starting QB (Jordan Wynn), finish third in the South. As a welcoming gift, they don’t play Stanford or Oregon.
    5. UCLA: The brutal early-season schedule and lineup holes make a second-tier finish likely. The Neuheisel Watch could be in full force by Oct. 1.
    6. Colorado: Projecting a bounce from the coaching change, but Buffs — even more than Utah — lack the depth to win consistently in their new home.

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    well it looks like chow is a ute again

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=840&sid=14103794

Quote Originally Posted by trackrunner View Post
    well it looks like chow is a ute again
    The more I think about this the more I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    The more I think about this the more I like it.
    Heck yeah. The guy is proven, knows the Pac-10, QB's, and has forgot more about offenses then most OC's know...especially Brandon Doman. Hell, Chow accomplished a ton after he left BYU. WAY more then when he was there. For BYU fans it's a lousy hire, but hey you let him go...

Wavering recruits are sure the sign because they have him.

you truly are delusional acca.

he was successful at USC. not so much the other places. hard to say he did "way more" after he left. the guy did win a national championship at BYU. but there is a reason why he's been essentially fired the last few stops he's made...

BYU - one national championship. bosco, young, etc...
    NC State - eh. philip rivers was around. chow didn't last long.
    USC - two national championships with pete, leinart, palmer, and a whole mess of recruiting violations.
    Titans - eh. didn't do much.
    UCLA - eh. didn't do much.

you really think recruits who are wavering will sign because of him? kinda doubt it's that big of a deal. however, i can see why the Utes are all excited, it's definitely an upgrade. no one will say he isn't good. i just don't think he is as good as he once was. you think utah will try to use the pistol this next season?