Thread: Phipps Canyon Rock Art?

Phipps Canyon Rock Art?

Quote Originally Posted by dioscuriII View Post
    Just wanted to know. Can't seem to find anything specific. Some rock art panels in possibly in Phipps Canyon near the Escalante area. The area was called Weavers Cave by Kenneth Castleton back in the day when he did all his work recording panels.

The art looks like a bunch of needles.

Kevin

Hey Kevin, welcome to the forum. I've set this thread up to help you get started. You will get the best response to the question in the hiking section.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I know coinslab has been there. If he sees this thread he will probably help you. Or you can private message him from this site if you find one of his old posts.

And I found this picture: Weavers Cave-3
    Two of the "needles with eyes" figures depicted frequently at the site.

Name:  needles..jpg
Views: 1969
Size:  139.7 KB

Jon has made a pledge to someone not to divulge the info. I respect that so I do not push him for info, but I will try and find out other ways.

I bet somebody around here will know.... these can't be that tough to track down as I know they are in a cave near Phipps Arch.

Just wait until the night crew shows up.... they track down everything.

The night crew. Hah! That is awesome. Jon(coinslab) is a great guy. He has guided me to some awesome places I would have never found without him. But, he made a promise and so I am totally good with him not letting anyone know. I would do the same if someone asked.

That image is the correct one, FYI. That is the one I seek.

This is the outside.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/awatobi/4476707071/
    Last edited by dioscuriII; 11-04-2010 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Added link to image of the outside of the cave.

So if you know what the outside looks like why not just go spend a day or two exploring Phipps? It's a pretty small canyon, couldn't be too hard.

never seen them but if you know they are really in phipps wash, they will be easy to find. the whole canyon is only about 4 miles long. and you can come in from either end. go down the escalante from the bridge about a mile, or access from little spencer flat.

the technique i have used to locate heaps of ruins is to walk the opposite rim of the canyon looking across at the other side. if the cave you are looking for faces southeast then you need to be on the south or east rim looking across. mark all possible caves and then get into the bottom of the canyon and check them out. probably do it in an easy day car to car. there is a route down from the rim around the south side of phipps arch.

while you are there be sure to check out the cowboy glyphs (circa 1889) in the upper end of phipps, on the south side.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by ibenick View Post
    So if you know what the outside looks like why not just go spend a day or two exploring Phipps? It's a pretty small canyon, couldn't be too hard.
    Unfortunately, I don't have a few days to roam down there. I wish I did. No vacation until next year and my weekends are tied up.

FYI: I do mainly a lot of quick trips. Down and back in a day.
    Last edited by dioscuriII; 11-04-2010 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Adding some info.

Quote Originally Posted by denaliguide View Post
    never seen them but if you know they are really in phipps wash, they will be easy to find. the whole canyon is only about 4 miles long. and you can come in from either end. go down the escalante from the bridge about a mile, or access from little spencer flat.

the technique i have used to locate heaps of ruins is to walk the opposite rim of the canyon looking across at the other side. if the cave you are looking for faces southeast then you need to be on the south or east rim looking across. mark all possible caves and then get into the bottom of the canyon and check them out. probably do it in an easy day car to car. there is a route down from the rim around the south side of phipps arch.

while you are there be sure to check out the cowboy glyphs (circa 1889) in the upper end of phipps, on the south side.
    Thanks!

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    I'd go straight to Phipps Arch. Lots of stuff that looks like that in the area. I have heard it can be accessed from where the highway is closest to the Arch...

Here's Eric Godfrey's pic of the Arch from a while back...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    I'd go straight to Phipps Arch. Lots of stuff that looks like that in the area. I have heard it can be accessed from where the highway is closest to the Arch...

Here's Eric Godfrey's pic of the Arch from a while back...
    Thanks for the advice. I will check it out as soon as possible.

It has been brought to my attention where it is located. Yeah.

I was asked to keep this out of the public record. But, if you would like help in locating it then private message me. But, there is a test. Just kidding.
    Last edited by dioscuriII; 11-09-2010 at 09:10 PM. Reason: Update.

Yeah sorry! Good luck in the search though.

I have never failed to locate something when I make my mind up. You can doubt if you want to do so.

I know you haven't. I was just saying good luck on the search.