Thread: Best Approach for Segers Hole (aka Squeeze) and Cable?

Best Approach for Segers Hole (aka Squeeze) and Cable?

What is the best approach for these canyons? There are at least 3 listed in the various guides (both online and books).

Any opinions? The shortest approach seems to be the east approach described by Shane of Climb Utah.

Thoughts?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

what route does shane advocate? and what are you considering exactly?

i've done it from hidden splendor and from factory butte, as well as the goblin valley side. i'd say the factory butte approach is the fastest, especially if the road is in good condition. goblin valley road is likely going to be quite rough. and the approach from GV is a mess if the muddy has flooded, which might have been a possibility with the october storms? i'm not sure. might be more driving to get to factory butte side though if you come from salt lake, but hidden splendor isn't exactly close to the paved road either...

For both he suggests Factory Butte. I have only accessed the area using Hidden Splendor....

Sounds like Factory Butte is the shortest... We are coming from Colorado so distance isn't that big of a deal.

shane's beta is usually pretty good. especially when he's actually done the canyon.

Factory Butte is by far the best approach for Cable Canyon.

The Squeeze is a toss up between Factory Butte and Hidden Splendor. The route is shorter from Factory Butte but not real pretty. The hike through the Muddy River Gorge is pretty but longer. Camping near Factory Butte is so-so while Hidden Splender is a great campsite.

MK lists an approach to both canyons from the top of the Moroni Slopes.... no way in hell I'd use that approach. The drive in is long and rough on dirt roads. You end up doing a lot of extra hiking/slogging, and the difficult hiking is at the end of the day instead of the beginning, which I hate.

Anyhoo.... that's my 2 cents.

Wait... there is a way to drive to the top of moroni slopes? I've been doing it wrong!

(well, I'd not want to hike up it at the end of the day to get my car... but maybe with a car shuttle... but I'm guessing a car shuttle you'd want to have one car parked on the factory butte side and then the amount of time it would take you to drive back to the other car would be ridiculous since I'm assuming you can't get to the top of moroni slopes in a car from the factory butte side)
    -----
    "It's a miracle curiosity survives formal education" - Albert Einstein

For a good time, check out my blog. or update the CanyonWiki

From where you park at the top of the Moroni Slopes to the canyon goodies is a long slog.... the only reason I mention it is because its listed as the route in MK's books.... and this thread was asking for a comparision of published routes.

Blog Entries
    X2 factory butte.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Did both canyons from the top of the Moroni Slopes. Not bad for Cable from where we started. For the Squeeze, we were able to drive down the dugway into Seeger's Hole itself and that made it doable. I believe the dugway is now closed. Neat area!

Quote Originally Posted by garrettw View Post
    I believe the dugway is now closed.
    Where is the Dugway? Would it be bike-able?

the dugway is closed? since when? and why? i was on the dugway last october, no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by CarpeyBiggs View Post
    the dugway is closed? since when? and why? i was on the dugway last october, no problems.
    Obama

Quote Originally Posted by rsmiller View Post
    Where is the Dugway?
    N38 34' 49", W111 01' 25"

Thanks Iceaxe...