Thread: What to do?

What to do?

I'm a new fan of canyioneering from Canada, Qu

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    It is better to land at Denver or Las Vegas?
    You choice of airports should probably be Las Vegas or Salt Lake, maybe Phoenix or Grand Junction.... depending on what canyons you plan to do and what airfare you can get.... Denver is a long drive.....

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    Do you have suggestions of canyons to do, same style as Mystery or Birch Hollow?
    Zion is different from just about everywhere else.... so expect a change.... it might be more helpful if you told us what canyons you did by Horseshoe and if you liked them or not....

You should fly into Salt Lake City or Las Vegas.

I don't have much experience in non-Zion canyons, but I think of Mystery as a jack-of-all-trades, master of none. It has a good mix of dark slots, water, and big drops, but does not stand out in any single category. Was there anything specific about it that you enjoyed?

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    [QUOTE=Luke;420115]I'm a new fan of canyioneering from Canada, Qu

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Leprechaun East, West and Main;
    Damn!!! I hate it when you do that..... in any typical method of rating/measuring a drainage the East Fork of Leprechaun is the MAIN fork.... The east fork drains over twice the area of the other forks combined.

The only possible way of calling the middle fork the main fork is perhaps if you were rating on degree of difficulty.....

I propose everyone start referring to the three drainages of Leprechaun as the East Fork, Middle Fork and West Fork.... one of these days that info or a mix up of that info could prove critical.... like the day SAR is called out to the Main Fork of Leprechaun.

Just my 2 cents..... YMMV...

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Damn!!! I hate it when you do that..... in any typical method of rating/measuring a drainage the East Fork of Leprechaun is the MAIN fork.... The east fork drains over twice the area of the other forks combined.

The only possible way of calling the middle fork the main fork is perhaps if you were rating on degree of difficulty.....

I propose everyone start referring to the three drainages of Leprechaun as the East Fork, Middle Fork and West Fork.... one of these days that info or a mix up of that info could prove critical.... like the day SAR is called out to the Main Fork of Leprechaun.

From a canyoneering point of view, the East and West Forks are considerably smaller in meat than the ... Middle Fork. But, it is the clearest to say "Middle Fork", so I will adopt that nomenclature. Good Point.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post

Iceaxe, I wholeheartedly agree! The first time I was in NW I was meaning to do Middle Fork, but was carrying two full sets of beta for all three forks. While on the approach, I started mixing up the names of all the forks, got confused and frustrated while flipping through the pages, and ended up hiking a clockwise loop from all the way around the head of the drainage to the optional rap at the top of East Fork. "Screw it, I'm sick of trying to straighten this out. We go down here!"

Also, to the OP, if you're thinking about coming out in December, January, or February you should consider the canyons near Badwater in Death Valley National Park. A wide range of difficulty for canyons only a couple hours drive from Las Vegas. Completely different feel than Zion canyons, but there aren't many places around where you can canyoneer below sea level.

Hi gang of Bogley,

thanks for the quick reply

We will be there on july. We made Low Spur and 2 others canyons near Horseshoes last year and we loved it. As everyone suggest, we will land at Las Vegas and reach the Grand canyon by the North and then reach the town of Page. Afther than, you will decide. We're in good condition and we like to do rappel.

Luke fron Quebec

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Outdoor Forum