Thread: Viewers Fainting at Amputation Scene in Aron Ralston Movie

Viewers Fainting at Amputation Scene in Aron Ralston Movie

At least 10 people have passed out after watching the self-amputation scene in 127 Hours, the new movie about canyoneer Aron Ralston, who was trapped by a shifting chockstone in Blue John Canyon, Utah, in April 2003, and escaped after cutting his right forearm off. The movie, which was directed by Academy Award winning director Danny Boyle, opens November 5, but has been shown at film festivals and other screenings.

In a front page story on Sunday, the Los Angeles Times discussed the faintings (which have been reported previously) and explored whether the pre-release hype will have a negative effect on the movie’s receipts.

“I would prefer that people not pass out — it’s not a plus,” said Stephen Gilula, the co-president of Fox Searchlight, the film’s studio. “We don’t see a particular publicity value in it.”

On the other hand, Jason Squire, who teaches about the film business at the University of Southern California, said, “Are you kidding? I think it really helps. They’ll wait in line an hour earlier.”

The Times cites six people passing out at film festivals and another four at a Pixar screening. Courtney Phelps, who saw the movie at a Producers Guild of America showing, said, “I started to feel like I was going to throw up, so I went to the bathroom, and then I started feeling dizzy and my heart started racing. I have never had, even remotely, an experience like this. I’m a television producer. I know this stuff is not real.”

I saw 127 Hours a couple weeks ago, and the scene in question is bloody and graphic, but no more so than a Quentin Tarantino movie or any of today’s slasher flicks. Although not particularly squeamish, I was prepared to look away, but as it turns out what makes the amputation so powerful isn’t what’s on the screen, it’s what in your heart by the time you’ve reached this point in the movie. Boyle has created a strikingly intimate, visceral, and human film, one that connects you to Ralston (as played by James Franco) and makes you feel the frustration, futility, and direness of his situation. Franco’s performance is incredible, from his cocksure approach to Blue John to his vulnerability as he fights his fears to the brutal dawning self awareness that how he was living his life is what brought him to this predicament. When the time comes to sever the last bit holding him to the rock, it’s bloody, yes, but that’s nothing compared to the emotion of it.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Blog Entries
    nice! Got 3 of us going already to the Layton tinseltown on the 5th.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Blog Entries
    btw, I didn't find this till now, but here's Trailer#2 of the movie.

●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

A good reminder to sharpen your Leatherman right now.

No, seriously though, I'm looking forward to this movie. The whole story fascinates me.
    Blog | FB

When does it come out?

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by moab mark View Post
    When does it come out?
    Nov 19 in SLC...

http://content.foxsearchlight.com/inside/node/4606

Tom

People getting queasy and fainting from the scene in the movie? Heck, I've watched all 4 seasons of Dexter - I'm ready for anything!

This reminds me that I need to find his book and read it, since his story is fascinating and harrowing. Movie looks great from the trailer; definitely a must-see, and probably in the theater!
    Sonya

Art & photography blog

Facebook Studio Page

"I lost my virginity, but I still have the box it came in"

Quote Originally Posted by accadacca View Post
    At least 10 people have passed out after watching the self-amputation scene in 127 Hours, the new movie about canyoneer Aron Ralston, who was trapped by a shifting chockstone in Blue John Canyon, Utah, in April 2003, and escaped after cutting his right forearm off.
    I am probably stating the obvious here, but the Restricted Rating comes from the graphic presentation of the amputation and not language or sexuality?
    Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow

Quote Originally Posted by taatmk View Post
    I am probably stating the obvious here, but the Restricted Rating comes from the graphic presentation of the amputation and not language or sexuality?
    With all the fluff it better be for all three.

Quote Originally Posted by taatmk View Post
    I heard in the unrated version there's more T n' A

So how many people fainted in the SAW movie series?