Thread: Horseshoe Canyon Pictographs

Horseshoe Canyon Pictographs

Saturday, October 30, 2010

On Saturday morning my friend Jackson and I headed to Green River and then south through the San Rafael Desert to the trailhead for Horseshoe Canyon. I have wanted to hike this canyon for a while to check out all of the pictographs, so I was excited to finally be there. The hike turned out to be just under 8 miles long after all of the side trips we took, and the weather was just about perfect. Here's some photos of the pictographs we checked out along the way.

Our first stop was at the High Gallery

Then we stopped at the Horseshoe Gallery

Up next was the Alcove Gallery which was in a huge alcove. Unfortunately these pictographs were either worn off pretty good or vandalized.

Randy Langstraat
    ADVENTR.CO | Anasazi Photography

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Lastly we stopped and spent quite a bit of time at the Great Gallery

Man & Dog?

The Holy Ghost

An impressive panel

Some fall colors framing the Holy Ghost

Nice details still visible

Randy Langstraat

...and here's a few non-pictograph photos I took along the way.

Back-lit Cottonwood

Visitor

Along the canyon bottom

Jackson playing with his new lens

Colorful cottonwoods

View back down into Horseshoe Canyon as we climbed back out and made our way to the Jeep again.

After a nice hike we headed back to Green River for some dinner at Ray's Tavern before heading home. As we reached Green River some storms started rolling it. It was perfect timing!

Randy Langstraat

Nice trip report!

Very nice - a beautiful, unforgettable place, that.

Nice TR, I've been there twice and it is a beautiful place.

Win
    Quoting my best friend, Bob McNally, after a bad boating trip: "Nature scares me!"

Utah photos: www.winpics.fototime.com

Excellent, Randy! Thanks for posting the photos; I've been wanting to go to Horseshoe ever since I read a bit about it on a Canyonlands map, as I love rock art. Now, I definitely need to go.

It's awesome how the cottonwoods in the lower canyons are in their full-on-disco color now, isn't it? Saw lots of that around Moab last week. Nice to spread the fall color out over a couple of months before "stick season" begins.
    Sonya

Art & photography blog

Facebook Studio Page

"I lost my virginity, but I still have the box it came in"

Quote Originally Posted by canyonphile View Post
    Excellent, Randy! Thanks for posting the photos; I've been wanting to go to Horseshoe ever since I read a bit about it on a Canyonlands map, as I love rock art. Now, I definitely need to go.

It's awesome how the cottonwoods in the lower canyons are in their full-on-disco color now, isn't it? Saw lots of that around Moab last week. Nice to spread the fall color out over a couple of months before "stick season" begins.
    This is a must see. the sheer size of the pictos is stunning.

Nice TR and great photos. It is hard to get the real flavor of the pictos or the size (as stated above) in a photos. Gotta see these in person.
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Card View Post
    This is a must see. the sheer size of the pictos is stunning.
    Here is a picture that will give you some scale as to the size of the pictographs.

Name:  horseshoe..jpg
Views: 2091
Size:  226.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Here is a picture that will give you some scale as to the size of the pictographs.

Name:  horseshoe..jpg
Views: 2091
Size:  226.6 KB
    Oh, that is TOTALLY cool! I'd read that they were life-sized, but you really can't tell from photos unless there's an actual peep there for scale.

What treasures - I'm glad no one has defaced these. I get so pissed when I see that or other vandalism/theft to archeological sites. People who do that sort of thing totally suck .
    Sonya

Art & photography blog

Facebook Studio Page

Here's another, more panoramic, view of the Great Panel. Keep in mind the photo of Ice in front of the Holy Ghost picto, and that's the small group on the left side. The place is huge:

thought everyone would find this interesting. this is about the archeology of horseshoe canyon.

http://www.nps.gov/cany/planyourvisi...seshoebook.pdf

btw, those figures are larger than life size. shane is well in front so it makes them look smaller.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by denaliguide View Post
    thought everyone would find this interesting. this is about the archeology of horseshoe canyon.

http://www.nps.gov/cany/planyourvisi...seshoebook.pdf
    Very interesting read. Thanks for posting it.

Quote Originally Posted by ibenick View Post
    Very interesting read. Thanks for posting it.
    +1

I always assumed most prehistoric rock art was either Fremont or Anasazi in this region; how fascinating to find out it was done by Archaic peoples thousands of years earlier. I'll have to read the article about the canine figures later...

Thanks everyone for the pics and info, and of course Randy, who started the thread
    Sonya

Art & photography blog

Facebook Studio Page

I was watching a show on History Channel last night on early visitors from other worlds and at least twice they showed the panels in Horseshoe Canyon. The show is "Ancient Aliens", as you'd expect a lot of speculation and very few facts.

Thanks for the link.

Win
    Quoting my best friend, Bob McNally, after a bad boating trip: "Nature scares me!"

Quote Originally Posted by Win View Post
    I was watching a show on History Channel last night on early visitors from other worlds and at least twice they showed the panels in Horseshoe Canyon. The show is "Ancient Aliens", as you'd expect a lot of speculation and very few facts.
    That's a fun show to watch if you want to start thinking outside the box. It helps if you have read the book Chariots of the Gods by Erich von Daniken.

Geez, I think I read that book about 40 years ago! There is also the counter to it called "Crash Go the Chariots" by Wilson. I have a customer who is really into the alien thing, he even went to Mexico to meet with a Mayan priest concerning 2012. He loves all the pictures I send him of the ancient art.

One of my favorites from Horseshoe has the "ghost" figure.

Win

Awesome! I have yet to make this hike, but it looks amazing. It's nice to see a couple pics of the canyon itself, too.