Thread: Thread is worthless without pics!

Thread is worthless without pics!

Well...haven't done much hiking as of late, so Daco, Dnally, Guy and myself decided to jump into Kolob Creek for Halloween. Saturday looked a bit ominous in the Zion Skies, but late afternoon stood true for the forecast. Sunday morning 5:30 AM at Tha Rat and we were off. The windows fogged in the truck on the way up to West Rim TH, but we were all very anxious to see the Ghost in Kolob. Hiking at just after 7AM put us to the drop into Kolob nice and early. We suited up before we dropped in.

On our way and here comes the first wade, and yep the water was refreshing in the early morning air. Maybe 1CFS of flow made things very easy on and off the rope. We made good time through the absolutely gorgeous upper narrows and to the last long drop. At the bottom of the last drop we stayed suited up as there is more swimming to come and the air temps were brisk for sure.

That hike from the last drop to MIA takes forever, but offers some of the best "Narrows" on the planet! Oh man though, those rocks were the slipperiest I've personally experienced. Oak was flowing brillianty as was the large waterfall on the left. Boundary was draining nicely as well! Certainly the waterflow in Kolob increased the further down we went, but the rocks remained as slippery as greased lightening. It must have taken 2+ hours to arrive at MIA! Into dry clothes and on our way up MIA at around 1:30? The sand was stable from rains the previous night, and the temps were supreme all the way up and out to the vehicle at 5PM.

I shot video and will attempt to post some of them when time allows, and Dnally and Daco both shot fotos and I'll post those as well.

Happy Halloween!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I love that you titled your own thread "Worthless Without Pics". You rock Bo!
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

Photos here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/davenally/KolobCreek#

Thanks for the great time Bo, Dave (Daco?), and Guy

Forgot to metion...KOlob is the KOolest canyon, but it was also one KOld canyon, although wearing my new KOkatat drysuit kept me pretty toasty warm, and luckily we saw not KOoks or spooks on a great Halloween!

Hope you don't mind:

Looks like you guys have a devilishly good time!

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Very nice Bo and crew

Blog Entries
    Bo, is this the Dave from your store??
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Bogley BigShot

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    Bo, is this the Dave from your store??
    Daco is Dave from The Rat, Dnally is the other Dave that submitted these Picasa photos. Cool shots Dnally! I've had a chance to just peruse the video a tad and I'll edit it to put in a bit of the video. Twas a fun hike Dave, Dave and Guy. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by dnally View Post
    Dave (Daco?)
    Dave Cornaby "Daco" ......Kind of like Dave Nally "Dnally"

Quote Originally Posted by dnally View Post
    Photos here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/davenally/KolobCreek#

Thanks for the great time Bo, Dave (Daco?), and Guy
    And Thank you Dave, Dave and Guy!

Very nice stuff. I was supposed to be in that canyon the two days before you were there. Stupid work........ Some of the Mapleton crew were there I do believe. I haven't confirmed that yet. What a wonderful canyon.

I agree with Bo that the narrows are spectacular. I think better than "The Narrows" narrows.
    Life is Good