Thread: Boundary Canyon

Boundary Canyon

I'll pay a little more attention and be more involved myself next time to the navigation and not rely on a partner who says he's "been there before" . We took out a permit for Kolob but ended up in Boundary instead. And I can't help but wonder judging by the foot traffic leading us to the head of Boundary, how many others made the same mistake we did. That said, Boundary was still a fun day and as said here on the forums before, the MIA exit sucks. It was my first class C canyon and it got my attention. For me tho, if I came back with a few good shots, it was a successful trip. I did destroy a lightweight Manfrotto tripod but that's part of the deal when you drag your equipment into these rough places. So now I have to go back to knock out Kolob but it may have to wait till next year. Can't come soon enough. Here are a few shots from the day.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nice shots the fall colors are GREAT!

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Awesome!!! Obviously, you got some use out of the Manfrotto! That first one is sweet, perhaps you'd like to offer it for the next edition of The Book. Maybe I should send you one right now, so you can find Kolob next time...

You follow Shane's directions? I keep telling him...

Tom

Yeah, that first shot is incredible! Nice job...

Tom, I do have your book and as a matter of fact you signed it for me a couple summers ago when standing in line at the Zion permit desk. We didn't use it for navigation on this day but you can bet I will next time. As for the first photo, it's my new favorite. I had to use my tripod with it's broken leg propped up against the canyon wall to get the shot as I needed a couple seconds for the exposure. I have it framed up big and hanging on my wall in my home. Tom, if you're serious about using the photo contact me. Thanks for the compliments guys.

Quote Originally Posted by remoteman45 View Post
    Tom, I do have your book
    So it was Tom's book you were using when you got off course.....

Ouch....

So I guess the autograph didn't really help any?

No actually Shane, we were using your beta. It seemed to us that some mention ought to be made in the beta about how easy it is to mistake the foot traffic heading down into Boundary for Kolob. Granted a little closer examination of the beta would have revealed that we didn't travel nearly far enough to be on the right track for Kolob when we turned right and headed down Boundary but a mention in both the Boundary and Kolob beta about the potential for this problem would be helpful. Again, I'll be a little more involved next time. It occurred to me that had we been improperly prepared for the wrong canyon, we could have been in real trouble. Anybody checking wouldn't have been looking for us in Boundary. Do you need a permit for Boundary?

Pay attention people !!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    So it was Tom's book you were using when you got off course.....

Ouch.... maybe a little something about rocks and glass houses...
    Reading comprehension is not Ice's forte.

[quote="Ice"]
    From the West Rim Trailhead (N37

Quote Originally Posted by remoteman45 View Post
    Tom, I do have your book and as a matter of fact you signed it for me a couple summers ago when standing in line at the Zion permit desk. We didn't use it for navigation on this day but you can bet I will next time. As for the first photo, it's my new favorite. I had to use my tripod with it's broken leg propped up against the canyon wall to get the shot as I needed a couple seconds for the exposure. I have it framed up big and hanging on my wall in my home. Tom, if you're serious about using the photo contact me. Thanks for the compliments guys.
    Shoot me an actual email, will ya: canyoneeringusa at gmail dot com Yes, I am collecting pics for the next edition of the book, and that is an awesome picture.

Also, I'm assuming it was a lightweight Manfrotto with the round center stock. I am looking for a triangulated center shaft for my heavier tripod to cut short for flower shots - if you or anyone happens to have one. (Update: or I could just go buy one, which I just did).

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    and that is an awesome picture.
    I'll ditto that. GREAT picture.

Hmmm...mistaking the approach to Kolob for Boundary...wow...head down following a watercourse, I guess I could see how that'd happen. The actual starts are so far apart, though...and, with any sense of direction...

Wow.

Still, great photo's.

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Ice - would you like to do me a favor and add "follow the logging road above the spring at the top of the Boundary drainage and up to a pass and over the other side into the Kolob drainage" to your on-line Kolob description.
    It's been added.... thanks..

Awesome photos. Thanks for sacrificing some equipment.

And I love it when Tom and Shane start the smack talk. Always entertaining.
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    It's been added.... thanks..
    No no no - thank YOU. Tom

Bogley BigShot
    Yesterday Bo gave a presentation in St. George and he talked about some SAR. It's amazing how some people interpret directions. You guys will have to ask him the stories! I don't think any instructions will help some. This has nothing at all to do with the directions here or following them... it just made me think of it.

Beautiful photos!

Quote Originally Posted by tanya View Post
    Yesterday Bo gave a presentation in St. George and he talked about some SAR. It's amazing how some people interpret directions. You guys will have to ask him the stories! I don't think any instructions will help some. This has nothing at all to do with the directions here or following them... it just made me think of it.

Beautiful photos!
    I seem to remember a comment made earlier in another post by Tom?

"What's wrong with learning to read a map and taking it along?"
    Hmmmmmm?!

Quote Originally Posted by Bo_Beck View Post
    I seem to remember a comment made earlier in another post by Tom?

"What's wrong with learning to read a map and taking it along?"
    Hmmmmmm?!
    John Wayne didn't need no map.

I, however, am not him and therefore, I generally have a map and a gps. But like John Wayne, I am afraid of no man. Yet unlike John Wayne, I am afraid of only one woman, my wife. If I got lost, I may never get "ungrounded" from my house once found.
    Life is Good

Maps are important! I use a map and only pull the gps out when I can't find my way on the map (usually occurs if I stay out (i.e. get stuck out) after the sun sets). My wife also likes the Spot Messenger. I put a message at the top of whatever canyon we're starting, I just need to be careful to not get in too narrow of a canyon before I send the message or it doesn't like to find the satellites.

The biggest issue I have had with trail beta (beta for which I am very grateful for...no rock throwing here) is when a time is given for a turnoff. For example, it takes 15 minutes to reach the turnoff for Kolob. If I'm not following on a map I can be over a quarter mile down boundary at 15 minutes from the trailhead. Other times I may be 1 hr 15 minutes and thinking I'm lost to reach a 45 minute junction. Distances associated with time (ex 15 min/.4 miles) may help dummies like myself.

Oh, and I forgot...Fantastic pictures. Remoteman, did you by chance leave an apple at the base of the MIA exit?

Quote Originally Posted by zion6566 View Post
    Oh, and I forgot...Fantastic pictures. Remoteman, did you by chance leave an apple at the base of the MIA exit?
    Maybe a pair of sunglasses a half mile up from MIA as well?

I ate the apple!

Bogley BigShot