Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fishing icecapades

Fishing icecapades

The weather change has got me stoked for the hard water. Most years, I'm able to kick of ice fishing season with a Black Friday outing to Huntington (Mammoth) Res. (Although last year I enden up canyoneering that weekend instead). Here's hoping for ~4" of ice... and soon. I ice fish most weekends from Thanksgiving on. Partners welcome.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I've never been but would love to try it. Tell me, is the fishing better when they're stuck under the ice for a while or is it just fun to do?

The Huntington in Utah has 4" on BF???? Sounds better than fighting the crowds for $2.99 DVD's.

$2.99 DVD's??? I went ice fishing to Strawberry a few years back. Two words... snow shoes... Twas fun though.

Ice fishing seems like a great excuse to drink a lot and watch people fall down... so basically, sounds like a lot of fun.

Despite my angst when the temperatures drop, I'm actually looking forward to some ice fishing this year. That'll probably fade quickly, but it will be fun until then.

...Only problem is that I don't have an auger this year.
    Lost On A Hill

Utah Water Log

I'm feeling a Bogley icefishing-fest

Is the fishing better under the ice...? It depends. It's different, you get to target different species using different methods. You can bag 4 trout and call it a day or work into where the panfish are hitting and take some--say--50 perch each for a fish fry and a bunch for the freezer. Huntington (Mammonth) traditionally has safe ice by Black Friday and this year should be no different judging by current weather. I like to hit lakes the first week they freeze and then move on. That's when the bite seems the best and as the winter wears on the fish become more sluggish. It usually goes something like this. Huntington, Schofield, Pelican, Strawberry, Flaming Gorge (Burbot/Ling Cod), Mantua, Pineview, Rockport, Fishlake, etc. etc. etc. I like pineview a lot... and it's fairly close. My best trip last year though was probably to Pelican for fat bass and huge blugills. And lots. Good fun too. I head out for half a day and then lunch at a local cafe on the way home. That's my routine all winter. I'll try to post when I'm going and when. If we're going to do an ice fest, we should do it overnight on Flaming Gorge chasing Burbot/Ling Cod. Tasty fish, they get big, and there's no limit. We'll see how the winter shapes up.

A Bogley ice fest does indeed sound like a good time. Would love to go as I have never fished the ice.

I would be in for some ice fishin' with the group.

Hello peoples.........

Since there seems to be a little intrest in a Bogley Ice Fish Fest why not just set it up now so we can schedule it. If its not on a calander a month in advance for me it aint happening. Do we have anyone who could propose a day and place? If I was more familiar w/ ice fishing I would do it............ but since I have never done it muy suggestions would be poor indeed.

Dec 4th would be good for me. I am in American Fork so anything w/in 2 hours I would be game for. Especially if we could carpool and save some gas $.
    Anyone???????

Strawberry is a popular place, but I am no expert about where to go exactly.

For December 4th, you'll need to get pretty high in elevation to find the ice. I float Strawberry in my tube every December. That lake is deep enough that it takes awhile for the water to cool down to freezing temps. Strange but true.

The only places with safe ice that are easily driven to around that date would be up Fairview Canyon. Huntington Reservoir and Cleveland would probably have at least 4 inches or more by then.

Scofield is usually toward later December.

I hardly ever fish to the north, so I'm not too sure about when a lot of these places will freeze.

Birch Creek Reservoir is a pretty good drive for most, but there are some nice tigers in there. I've taken them up to 23.5" and watched a buddy nab a 26.5". Only problem is that Monte Cristo Hwy closes and anyone north of SLC would have to drive down to I-80 to get access from the Evanston side.

It will likely be frozen by then though. Hell of a hike up the dam, although short.

No matter what though, Strawberry won't likely be fishable until some time in January. At that point, the ice gets really thick, really fast. 2ft of ice in Feb.

Waiting until January would open up a lot more options, but I'm game for whatever. So long as someone brings an auger or two.
    Lost On A Hill

Utah Water Log

New Years day is a Saturday this year so I will have Friday off. Would that be a better date for everyone? And does someone have an auger???

Are hand augers any good? They're pretty cheap.

http://www.amazon.com/Strikemaster-F...8968836&sr=8-1

Hand augers are fine... especially if you have a partner. But I usually fish solo and I do just fine. Just don't be tempted to get one that's too wide. I just use a 4".

12/4 is bad for me, so is New Years (freeze festing).

Yeah the hand augers are all I have ever used. I don't currently have one though...

Hand augers are fine if you keep the blades sharp, else they are a huge pain in the keester. I may be up for that but not in December.

I hope I'm able to set aside some $ for an auger this year. I hate not having one. GRRRRRR.
    Lost On A Hill

Utah Water Log

Are you ready to think about Ice fishing now that winter is full on here???