Thread: west fork leprechaun conditions

west fork leprechaun conditions

three of us are hoping to explore the west fork of leprechaun. With the recent flooding and rain this fall we were wondering if the canyon is still passeable. It sounds like there are some pretty tight spots that could get jammed up with depris. WE have a GPS track. Any beta would be apprecchiated.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lofty View Post
    three of us are hoping to explore the west fork of leprechaun. With the recent flooding and rain this fall we were wondering if the canyon is still passeable. It sounds like there are some pretty tight spots that could get jammed up with depris. WE have a GPS track. Any beta would be apprecchiated.
    The collection basin is small, and mostly devoid of trees, so there are rarely significant wood jams in there. A piece here and there is the most I have seen. The West Fork does not hold water much, but the corridor past the intersection of the three forks was a full swim after the last rain, and might be now. Beta: Have fun!!

Tom

^ What Tom said. Only thing I'd add is to double and triple check you're dropping into the West Fork. West/Main/East all have heads that look pretty similar, and between beta sets there is not a standardized name for each of the canyons/forks of the canyons, so its very easy to confuse left fork of west fork, main fork of left fork, etc. and get frustrated and decide to go down whatever canyon is in front of you. It probably wouldn't be the end of the world, but it may be more than you bargained for. Trust your GPS.

Full swim at the end of the Leps last week. http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...sh-Shenanigans
    "I approach nature with a certain surly ill-will, daring Her to make trouble"

-Edward Abbey

Forgot to mention that I went up Main Leprechaun all the way to the junction with West Fork. I was able to avoid getting wet in either direction. The swim after the junction is COLD but short. If I did it again, I wouldn't bother bringing a wet suit.