Thread: GPS + Spot with custom messages in the field!

GPS + Spot with custom messages in the field!

"I approach nature with a certain surly ill-will, daring Her to make trouble"

-Edward Abbey

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Got mine. Haven't activated the Spot subscription yet, but I've been using the hand set. I also had the previous two Delorme PN models. Same cool features ( customizable sat and usgs quad overlays on the hand set) but now with a faster processor and bunches of firmware improvements. Very cool.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

How is the GPS compared with others? I have heard good things about the Garmin Oregon and almost pulled the trigger until I saw this. I already own a Spot II but having both in one device sounds like the way to go assuming the GPS is high quality.
    "I approach nature with a certain surly ill-will, daring Her to make trouble"

-Edward Abbey

The Garmin will certianly have a sleeker interface (although the PN-60 made great strides on previous PN series models). Delorme's takes some getting used to, but as far as the features go, I wouldn't trade it for the Garmin. It's got a fast processor, gets a quick fix and tight 3-D / WAAS accuracy, screen is readable in bright daylight. Although I've been a Delorme user for several years, I gave the Garmin a look before I bought this last one. I wasn't crazy about the touch screen for times when I might be wearing gloves or have grubby hands. I'm sure it's a good product, but it didn't sell me. Delorme lets you download Nautical charts, USGS quads, Sat imagery, hi-res aerial imagery, as well as Delorme's own topo. No need to buy a topo package... the PN-60 comes with topo for all of US, Canada, and Mexico. (I think Garmin makes you buy regions separately) That's one of my favorite features: I love being able to switch between topo and Sat imagery. The Topo 9.0 Computer software is very handy for route planning and analysis. If I were to list any downsides, it would be the bulky shape and the screen that is smaller than the garmins. Still wouldn't trade it though. And with the one-way text capability and SPOT integration--even better. I bought a RAM mount and use it as a road GPS in my truck--very readable. Hope that helps.