Thread: Anyone have a good spot to camp for free in Moab?

Anyone have a good spot to camp for free in Moab?

I meant to ask sooner, and I just realized that I forgot. We are going camping tonight, and I don't really know any good places in Moab to go camping. I always camp in one of the organized campgrounds off of the Colorado. They aren't as bad as a KOA, but I would rather find a place which cost nothing and was less crowded.
    "My heart shall cry out for Moab..." Isaiah 15:5

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Here's a map of the restricted areas that may be helpful.

http://www.blm.gov/ut/st/en/fo/moab/...an_i_camp.html
    Randy Langstraat
    ADVENTR.CO | Anasazi Photography

There are some decent spots out on the Dubinky Well Road road near Island in the Sky (38.660314,-109.836116) no shade at all but I have never had a problem finding a spot in out there in the dark.
    Onion Creek is pretty awesome (38.716691,-109.33229) and the ankle deep stream is perfect for kids.

A little after you pass the airport there is a dirt road to the right. I have stayed there late at night and got up early in the morning so I don't know how great it is. There are a ton of roads to explore for a site. I think my dad has stayed out there with scouts even.

I think this is it
    The man thong is wrong.

Any other suggestions for free blm camping in the Moab area? We will not have 4 wheel drive, so nothing too far off on dirt roads. I think there are some spots north of the entrance to Arches, off Willow Springs Trail.

We are planning on taking it easy, spending a little more time hanging around camp and cooking and stuff, so we were hoping for something a little cooler than just a place to through the tent up and sleep.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks
    "Human beings were not meant to sit in little cubicles staring at computer screens all day, filling out useless forms and listening to eight different bosses drone on about mission statements"

Peter Gibbons - Office Space

Or even any suggestions for good pay sites that arent going to be completely reserved already... we are planning on going in 3 weeks or so
    "Human beings were not meant to sit in little cubicles staring at computer screens all day, filling out useless forms and listening to eight different bosses drone on about mission statements"

4 years ago I camped off of the Gemini Bridges Rd. Had a 2wd rental that handled the dirt rd with no problem. There were several tracks off of the initial part of Gemini Bridges that led to shady campsites. I also camped for free off of rt 191 at the Behind the Rocks TH, but that's about 13 miles out of town. Also camped near Boca Arch, but that too is a ways from Moab.

If you go out on Kane Creek road far enough there are tons of spots, past the Ice Cream Parlor

No tents, no campfires, you have to set up after everything in town closes, and you have to be gone at daybreak, but occasionally it is possible to sleep out behind the bar (pick one).

Oh, and you might get rousted or arrested (depending on your conditions).

thanks don- we'll call that plan C.

what about a good pay site outside of the park? are any of them actually decent sites? i have only stayed at one, and it wasnt horrible, but i didnt love it...

Quote Originally Posted by DWayne27 View Post
    what about a good pay site outside of the park? are any of them actually decent sites? ..
    This past Christmas I stayed at Big Bend Campground which is one of the established BLM pay campgrounds along Utah 128 east of Moab. As it was Xmas,. I had the entire place to myself. I had also stayed there the previous summer. Every nite was at the same site...I think it was number 6...had a great view of the river and cliffs, and a wide area where you could walk down to the river instead of bushwacking. The only bad thing about this particular site was that there was a huge garbage dumpster about 40 feet behind the site which kinda killed the views behind the site--but I spent most of the time taking advantage of the river views. And the BLM is doing a great job cleaning up the tamarisk along the river so the views are really oening up. Have fun.
    The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right. (Mark Twain)

My Favorite place is near Dubinki wells at the Needles. No dipshits within sight or hearing distance.
    UTM 12 S 594322.55 m E 4282484.40 m N
    This is good dirt road all the way. Huge flat area for camping and you could burn a forest of firewood and dance naked without anyone knowing.
    Its ways from town but it provides a near perfect Moab camping experience.
    PS - Its secret so dont tell anyone.
    Please buy my book - "Paiute ATV Trail Guide" at www.atvutah.com - I need gas money!!!!