Thread: TR: Spearhead Canyon Oct 13/14 2010

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar

TR: Spearhead Canyon Oct 13/14 2010

Spearhead Canyon, Zion National Park Oct 14 and 15, 2010
    Second descent (probable) by Steve Ramras, Jenny West, Pascal van Duin and Tom
    Jones

Prior History: Brian Cabe and I ascended Hook Canyon to the Majestic/Cathedral
    pass and summit plateau in October 2000, and descend the canyon the next day. We
    found no evidence of descents in the upper canyon, but the final chimney section
    (below The Spearhead) was bolted for descent.

Steve Ramras and Steve Brezovec made an attempt a few years prior, but were
    defeated by the incredibly thick Manzanita thrash-fest on the summit plateau,
    and descended via Hook Canyon.

In 2009, after extensive fires burned off the Manzanita, Luke (Bluugnome) from
    Las Vegas and companion climbed the Behunin Ridge for an attempt on the canyon,
    but did not proceed past the summit plateau, exiting via Hook Canyon.

Spearhead has substantial logistical difficulties. How do you get to the head?
    How much rope to carry? Where is there water? Because it is about a day and a
    half long, perhaps one should do it in high summer with the long days… then
    again, since it lacks significant water, maybe that is not such a good idea. We
    decided upon a casual two day trip in cooler weather, with a crack-of-an-early
    start to (try to) avoid the heat. It had rained torrentially the week before, so
    we were pretty sure of finding pumpable water in the middle section of the
    canyon for a bivy.

Last time, Brian and I brought 200 foot ropes and a bolt kit with many bolts;
    and got lucky in not needing to use it for the canyon descent. This time we brought
    a 300 foot rope, a lot more experience, and no bolt kit… comments on that later. Again
    this time, the Fortuna, the Goddess of Luck smiled on our party.

Approach

We got an early start, though somewhat delayed by my leaving part of my pack
    back in the car at the Museum. The hike to Behunin pass in the pre-dawn cool was
    delightful. Down the canyon we went as the sky lightened. Just as we arrived at
    the base of Behunin ridge, the day warmed up, so the steep climb up the very
    loose and sandy lower parts of the southeast-facing ridge was excruciatingly
    hot. The steep 4th class part at the top was easier than I had remembered, and
    we were soon enjoying lunch overlooking the impressive dropoff into the REAL
    Behunin canyon.

We crossed the plateau, grateful for the fire that burned off most of the
    Manzanita. Wonderful flowers, too. Ram and I were soon examining the far wall
    of Spearhead Canyon from near Hook Pass. Ram had stood here with Steve B. and
    failed to see a solution. To me, I could see a small tree down from the rim,
    and a sturdy ponderosa 200 feet below. EZ. Kinda.

We marked the starting point as follows: 40 feet right of the second of two
    large snags, perhaps 500 feet from the top of the canyon, the second snag next
    to a small orange cliff, rap from the rim 40 feet down to a single pine tree
    ("the Christmas Tree") on a ledge.

We rapped to the Christmas Tree ledge, then 300 feet to the ground below. Even
    with 100 lb Jenny rapping, the Christmas Tree flexed a little too much for
    comfort, but… I kept the upper rope in place as a backup for all but the last
    rapper, me. The rap was nice down a steep, smooth wall, and well clear of the
    Ponderosa, which had a sling around it but looked really bad, dried out,
    tenuous. I was happy to be on the "ground".

From there, we traversed the ledge across oak brush down and right to a tree on
    the edge. We replaced our sling from 10 years ago and rapped 40 feet to a nice
    ledge place. Looking around, there were little to no rappelling trees within
    reach. Huh? Our notes said three rappels to 165 feet. There should be a tree
    around within hiking distance. No such luck.

We rearranged the rope to rappel further, down to a sturdy tree overlooking the
    next cliffband. I rapped down to there, set a sling and then set up the 300 foot
    rope. I rapped about 20 feet down to the rollover and looked down to the canyon
    floor. Ummm, about 280 feet below! Yikes!!! Dropping the ropebag, I rendered
    my thanksgiving to Fortuna, the Goddess of Luck as the bag hit the floor of the
    canyon. Down I rapped to find about 8 feet of extra rope. It is good to be
    lucky.

After the others rapped down, we discovered two large branches on the floor of
    the canyon at the bottom of the rappel with old slings still tied to them –
    Brian and I's rappel anchors from 10 years prior.

The bottom of the canyon again was mild, mostly walking among rocks and sand and
    brush, with short downclimbs, as the light faded. We walked `til we found a
    couple pools and had an excellent bivy on the sand.

Morning gave us but a short stroll to the end of the canyon. We began the raps
    down the final chimney, which I had remembered as being quite a few raps, all
    less than 100 feet. Jenny and Ram went on ahead using the 300 foot rope, since
    the stances were small for two people. Pascal and I proceeded down the inside
    of the chimney, using the short ropes, and having to establish new anchors in
    two places, as reality did not match my memory. We hit the ground at noon and
    hiked down to our car at the Grotto.

Recommendations: It was WAY wonderful to visit a canyon of this wild character.
    However, it was also pretty foolish to visit a canyon this large in scale
    without a bolt kit. We lucked out twice with the 300 foot rope – the second rap
    in being about 280 feet, the one to the canyon floor about 290 feet. Also,
    Pascal and I started down the chimney with 170 feet of rope and pull, and on our
    second rappel used every bit of it. My memory of shortish 100 foot rappels in
    there was not correct. Coulda gotten hosed, close to the bottom – that would
    have been embarassing. Our "Christmas Tree" near the top was far from sturdy. I
    like getting away with poor decisions, but not enough to consider them good
    decisions. I would recommend future parties bring the 300 foot rope, but also a
    bolt kit with knowledge to use it in soft rock. A white ledge 30 feet below the
    Christmas Tree would make a great place for a two-bolt anchor. The tree
    anchoring our final rap into the canyon was pretty solid but it is clear that
    falling debris can take out even large trees in this environment.

Tom Jones
    Oct 2010

(Pictures to follow soon on Latest Rave)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Sounds like an interesting trip, Tom - thanks! Really looking forward to the photos!

Looking forward to pics!
    "I approach nature with a certain surly ill-will, daring Her to make trouble"

-Edward Abbey

Pretty neat. Almost 10 years to the day!

Kinda hard to believe that the second descent waited so long, given you put 'er in the guidebook. Give more folks credit for common sense, I suppose (har har).

My bet is we did the FA of Cathedral too. I just can't see some feller in '34 baggin' that rig in a day from the road without some serious skills. Not for that time and day. Majestic, maybe, or, the plateau, but, not the true summit. Fun stuff.

Geez, when you going to take some victims down the "Mountain of Mystery" non-canyon? Shudder!

Good times!

-Brian in SLC

Quote Originally Posted by Brian in SLC View Post
    Pretty neat. Almost 10 years to the day! Kinda hard to believe that the second descent waited so long, given you put 'er in the guidebook. Give more folks credit for common sense, I suppose (har har).

My bet is we did the FA of Cathedral too. I just can't see some feller in '34 baggin' that rig in a day from the road without some serious skills. Not for that time and day. Majestic, maybe, or, the plateau, but, not the true summit. Fun stuff.

Geez, when you going to take some victims down the "Mountain of Mystery" non-canyon? Shudder!

Good times!

-Brian in SLC
    Hey, you published first, dude. And in a prestigious Journal none the less.

Yes, I agree. I think the Mountain of Mystery Non-Canyon deserves a bit more than a 10 year 'wait'. A fine adventure, in retrospect.

Tom

Now with Pictures: http://canyoneeringusa.com/rave

Tom

Fa-boo-lo-so! Thanks, Tom! An adventure, it looks like. So - spa32.jpg, is Ram dancing down the rap? Very graceful! And the interlude photos - amazing; I love the rat-for-lunch photo. They're all quite gorgeous.

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Great TR Tom!!

Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
    Great TR Tom!!
    X 2 Nice. I'll go back to work now.

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    nice TR and pictures

the TR and the accompanying Balsahill.com ad were a nice pairing.