Thread: Lower Trachyte Creek

Lower Trachyte Creek

didn't suck.

coming in

we started from mm13 and bore more or less east, picking our way thru and around canyon and dome systems until we made our way to a bench just above lower woodruff just up from trachyte.

here had to handline down. me last off a hook. there were plenty of placements for it, but none w/ much ( if any ) margin for error. so i just made sure i weighted it as little as possible. so long as it didn't get shock loaded it was fine. then we found a camp spot and relaxed.

70's Thug

we found a way up from camp and went to check out the slot i was curious about. we opted not to bring tech gear in though to save weight and make for a more relaxed and wandery type of trip. kinda wish we had... this was a walk/scramble/dc thru lil' fella w/ some really nice spots. but short. the top 1/2 we went thru together. the bottom 1/2 i went a portion of the ways down then back up as i didn't want to get stuck climbing back out of too many slippery potholes, or get trapped in one w/ no way to regress. it was like the top but 2x deeper, a little skinnier, and seemed to be just as walk/scramble/dc as the top. until the final drop... looks to be about 100', + or - ? and unsure of anchor material, but throughout the top 1/2 deadman material at least was readily available.

Woodruff out

very nice. had a few route finding issues w/ finding bypasses around falls, but not bad. it really slowed us down tho' so the last 1.5 hours was by headlamp. so i don't actually know what the upper porrtion was like, but in moonlight it looked awesome !

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/578815921zlUIlH

signature

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    very cool, thanks for sharing.

Very nice! Glad it didn't suck - though the mud looks like it might have just a bit...

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus2000 View Post
    Very nice! Glad it didn't suck - though the mud looks like it might have just a bit...
    that one spot... we had to backtrack to find a bypass up around a fall and as we were standing there checking out this line to scramble, we just kept sinking and didn't even realize it. when we went to move no more than 30 seconds later we were sunk ankle to calf deep in that stupid mud ! and i gotta admit, i panicked. i may, purely instinctively, have tried to bite randi's arm. but in my defense i had no idea how long we may have have stayed stuck and did not want to be the weak one waking up w/ many randi sized bites taken from my succulent flesh. better to go on the offensive at the 1st sign of potential trouble.
    signature