http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=12829358

Name:  24879717..jpg
Views: 1080
Size:  49.5 KB

[QUOTE]
    Fisherman catches

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Ummmmmm. thats a heck of a cut!!!!!!!!!!

Wish I could make it up to the Berry this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by JONBOYLEMON View Post
    Wish I could make it up to the Berry this weekend.
    Yeah, I was going to go hit Currant and maybe berry today but i got a last minute invite to go float the South Fork Snake River and do some fly fishing. Woohooo!!

Quote Originally Posted by ibenick View Post
    Yeah, I was going to go hit Currant and maybe berry today but i got a last minute invite to go float the South Fork Snake River and do some fly fishing. Woohooo!!
    Man you are killing me. I so wish I had the weekend off.

nice cutt. too bad it's now dead.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by denaliguide View Post
    too bad it's now dead.
    Seriously.

If the South Fork snake river is slow, I hit Chesterfield or Devils creek on the way back. The South fork is always a nice float.

Quote Originally Posted by denaliguide View Post
    nice cutt. too bad it's now dead.

Oh come on. That's a fish of a lifetime and it has surely enjoyed a pretty long lifetime of its own. Props to the guy who caught the beast. Better to serve as food for someone that can truly appreciate it rather than food for a family of crayfish and bugs.

If some people didn't harvest their catches, we'd all be stuck with a bunch of big-headed runts when they overpopulate (or overstock, as we tend to do in Utah).
    Lost On A Hill

Utah Water Log

Quote Originally Posted by LOAH View Post

Oh come on. That's a fish of a lifetime and it has surely enjoyed a pretty long lifetime of its own. Props to the guy who caught the beast. Better to serve as food for someone that can truly appreciate it rather than food for a family of crayfish and bugs.

If some people didn't harvest their catches, we'd all be stuck with a bunch of big-headed runts when they overpopulate (or overstock, as we tend to do in Utah).

don't cry me a river. props do indeed go to the angler who caught that fish. but that"s about all we agree on.

i was an alaska fishing guide for 16 years, so i have some idea of how this all works. i am all for catching and eating fish, but i am also a strong proponent of catch and release. i have had the opportunity to fish some pretty amazing waters in my life, most of which were heavily fished by professionals. if all of the trophy sized fish were removed then soon there would be only runts to catch. this is why on a lot of water there is a upper and lower size limit (a "slot", if you will) on a lot of waters. they want to give the juvenile fish a chance to grow and they want to give the larger fish a chance to breed. even fish and game recognizes the need to retain the large fish as part of the breeding population.

a fish that size is a once in a lifetime catch, i agree. but if it were returned it could be a once in a lifetime catches for several anglers. you just don't eat the catch of a lifetime. you hang it on the wall. and you don't need to kill it to have a nice mount done. take the measurements, get the weight, take a whole bunch of great photos and release the fish to be caught again by some other lucky angler. to kill a trophy fish that size is just plain selfish. that fish is worth more to the human population by being available to be caught again than by being on someone's plate.

i highly doubt that that fish was a stocker. a fish that size is also a bonus to the breeding population. if all of the monster fish genes are removed from the breeding population then you will indeed end up with nothing but runts.

last but not least, i have eaten a lot of fish. i have found when trout reach trophy size that they don't really taste that good. the good eaters are the young ones.

here's a few of my "catches of a lifetime" which were released and will provide some other lucky angler the same opportunity. except for the big king. he was going to die in a couple weeks anyway, still released him to go spawn though.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

Yeah, I know you've been around the block. You've been catching great fish for a long time and I think that's awesome.

I'll still maintain my position, which comes mostly from reading the UDWR's own scientific research.

This pdf talks a lot about that kind of thing.

http://wildlife.utah.gov/blueribbon/4-step_plan.pdf

Where one leaves a hole, another will fill it.

And I love eating big fish. I've only run into a few that weren't every bit as tasty, but those were mushy for other reasons. It's the small ones I can't stand eating. Tiny little bones in every bite.
    Lost On A Hill

Utah Water Log

I am also a strong promoter of releasing fish. I strongly recommend it on rivers. It takes a long time to grow a big fish on a river. With that being said, the lakes are a great place to grow and keep bigger fish as they recover faster. I am strictly a flyfisher so that explains how many fish I bring home in a year.

Yummy, Did someone say FISH. I love fish.....

I'm with LOAH on this one. As I recall there's a part of the Provo River where the DWR has promoted the keeping of the fish found there. Most folks let everything go, which is fine by me cause that just leaves it there for me to eat , but I digress... My only beef is with those who kill the fish to mount it. Never been one for trophies... The bigger they are, the more meat they provide.

Oh, and I also agree with the statement about all those little blasted bones in the smaller trout. grumble grumble grumble...