Thread: Rope left in Constrychnine

Rope left in Constrychnine

On Saturday, 10/10 our party left a rope at the long rappel in Constrychnine. We're not proud that its there, but if anyone happens to go there and retreives it, its return would be appreciated. The finder will receive small reward of beer or whatever is practical. As for conditions, the Poison Spring access road seems to have suvived the flooding well, with the only big washout occuring past the popular camp spot. The canyon was pretty muddy but definitely drying out fast. Did the shortcut exit between Slidenide and Arscenic, and would definitely recommend going that way.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Love to hear the story...

I might be headed out to that area this weekend. Trying to finalize some plans and find some canyons that wont be too wet, and perhaps another partner. If we make it out there and the rope is there, I will certainly let you know.
    "Human beings were not meant to sit in little cubicles staring at computer screens all day, filling out useless forms and listening to eight different bosses drone on about mission statements"

Peter Gibbons - Office Space

For these big rappels, are they pretty straight forward? I will be going with some fairly new people that have only done 1 or 2 canyons before...
    "Human beings were not meant to sit in little cubicles staring at computer screens all day, filling out useless forms and listening to eight different bosses drone on about mission statements"

Quote Originally Posted by DWayne27 View Post
    For these big rappels, are they pretty straight forward? I will be going with some fairly new people that have only done 1 or 2 canyons before...
    IMHO - Constrychnine is the easiest of the Poison Springs routes. Nothing difficult about the rappels except you need to use care in setting your anchors. The hardest part of the route technically is you might need to construct and/or evaluate natural anchors.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mej View Post
    On Saturday, 10/10 our party left a rope at the long rappel in Constrychnine. We're not proud that its there, but if anyone happens to go there and retreives it, its return would be appreciated. The finder will receive small reward of beer or whatever is practical. As for conditions, the Poison Spring access road seems to have suvived the flooding well, with the only big washout occuring past the popular camp spot. The canyon was pretty muddy but definitely drying out fast. Did the shortcut exit between Slidenide and Arscenic, and would definitely recommend going that way.
    Was the rope stuck? Or did you plan on going back and did not? Or some other mistake or miscommunication made? Inquiring Minds Want To Know!!

Tom

Devin,

If you do Arsenic use a 200' rope on the first rappel. Leave it there and pick it up on the way back. I have done it both ways and the first rappel is a pain with a short rope. Slideanide is a great one also, easy rappels. Haven't done Constrychnine.

Constrychnine is the only one I havent done out there... Just trying to determine whether or not I would feel good about sending my partner for the weekend over the big drops in constrychnine without a belay. He has been through 4 or 5 canyons, and says he is pretty sure he would be fine with it.

Constrychnine is the only one I havent done out there... Just trying to determine whether or not I would feel good about sending my partner for the weekend over the big drops in constrychnine without a belay. He has been through 4 or 5 canyons, and says he is pretty sure he would be fine with it.
    Why not just belay your partner from the top with your retrieval rope? That's how I do it with noob's.

There isn't much to the story. The rope puller didn't check the end and the end happen to have a perfect tangle in it. If the last rap in Constrychnine was 30 or 40 feet longer we would have been up a creek in a bad way. Don't want to rely on that kind of dumb luck again.

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    IMHO - Constrychnine is the easiest of the Poison Springs routes. Nothing difficult about the rappels except you need to use care in setting your anchors. The hardest part of the route technically is you might need to construct and/or evaluate natural anchors.
    Ditto: If the ring/quicklink is not over the edge on the first rap, or extending down the chute a few feet on the second rap, the rope pulls are a challenge. The piton on the last rap was a mess of webbing a few weeks ago, someone set an anchor looking up to the right from the piton, that spot is easier to rap from.

The camp at the trailhead is showing alot of use, toilet holes all over the place basically right in camp, at least 5 fire pits, maybe time for some leave no trace there...