Thread: Chocolate covered bacon anyone? (Pic)

Chocolate covered bacon anyone? (Pic)

dailymail.co.uk - If you're an adventurous gourmet and you think you've tried it all then think again.

And if you thought mixing dulce de leche with cheese was exotic, then head straight to Marini's in downtown Santa Cruz.

The American restaurant has married two of the world's most delicious ingredients and given us the unusual combination of chocolate-covered bacon.

A vegan's nightmare: Bacon covered in chocolate

Their recipe uses hickory smoked bacon, cooking it in the oven until crispy and golden, before smothering it in their special brand of chocolate.

And for those who like to take the sweet n savoury mixture one step further, you can always sample chocolate-covered bacon mixed in with maple syrup ice-cream at Marini's itself.

It's called the 'vegan's nightmare' and its not difficult to see why.

Born in Italy, founder, Victor Marini brought his family to Santa Cruz in 1905 and opened the Palace Barbershop on Cooper Street across from the old Santa Cruz Court House.

He also had a barbershop in the old Casa del Rey Hotel near the Boardwalk.

One spring day in 1915, Victor accepted a customer's offer and bought his popcorn stand at the Boardwalk.

Joseph Marini Sr. started working for his father at the age of 10 in 1920.

Following his father's death in 1938, Joe Sr. and his wife Josephine were instrumental in building up the business.

The family soon expanded the operation and started making salt water taffy, caramel corn, and candy apples.

In the years to follow, the business was passed on to Joe Sr.’s sons, Joseph Jr. and Joel, and their wives Carol and Kathy.

Today, Joseph Marini III continues the tradition of making fine candies.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/fo...#ixzz12AW2glwR

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

You know, I used to think that bacon made everything better, but I'm going to have to change my opinion on that after seeing this. Sweet and savory sometimes work together, but I'm not feeling the love for this combination, I'm afraid .

Bacon, roasted Hatch green chilies and sharp cheddar on a baked potato, OTOH.... With dark chocolate for dessert!
    Sonya

Art & photography blog

Facebook Studio Page

"I lost my virginity, but I still have the box it came in"

Salt and sweet?! It might work. Who is willing to try it and post pictures?

I'm in. It's got to be better than chocolate covered crickets, scorpions or worms...

Name:  cricket..jpg
Views: 2499
Size:  12.1 KB

Name:  _39450786_chocscor&.jpg
Views: 10445
Size:  10.7 KB

Name:  worms..jpg
Views: 5029
Size:  66.4 KB

[FONT=Verdana]Actually this thread reminded me of a product I saw recently. ThinkGeek is selling oven-baked tarantulas at 25 bucks each. These are real and large spiders shipped ready to eat. Someone should get one and cover it in chocolate
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Oh man Don, for the love! Who would eat those.

I've had chocolate with bacon bits inside before. It wasn't bad.

But if you want something really good, go for a Bacon Maple Bar. Its amazing.
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves."
    -John Muir

no, no, and HELL no! I love bacon...no one loves chocolate more than I do, but together?! I've chased a BLT down with chocolate though.

OK then, my order is on it's way I tried to order some of their Bacon Brittle too (peanut brittle with smokey bacon bits mixed in) but it seems they are not selling it right now I guess my wife has a candy cooking project in her near future

I will let you know how great it is on Friday

I should really get one of those spiders for freeze fest this year...

I tried a Bacon Maple Bar at Voodoo Donuts in Portland, OR in June. It was actually quite good! A nice, pleasant mix of salty & sweet - kinda like eating pancakes, maple syrup and bacon in one bite.
    "All roads, all codes!"

Quote Originally Posted by Mooseman70 View Post
    I tried a Bacon Maple Bar at Voodoo Donuts in Portland, OR in June. It was actually quite good! A nice, pleasant mix of salty & sweet - kinda like eating pancakes, maple syrup and bacon in one bite.
    Yeah, thats where i got mine too. Delicious.
    That spider looks a little less appetizing tho.
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves."
    -John Muir

Yep. Just like eating a bacon mcgriddle at mcdonalds. Yum! Anxiously awaiting a report from fourtycal.