Thread: Another great Moab trip

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Awesome. I keep meaning to get out there since I hear such good things about the area. We need to set up a Bogley Moab trip.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Looks like fun! I'm heading down to Moab this weekend. Any recommendations for a novice dual sport rider? I ride a klx250.

Quote Originally Posted by kniephof View Post
    Looks like fun! I'm heading down to Moab this weekend. Any recommendations for a novice dual sport rider? I ride a klx250.
    I would ride out to Muscleman Arch on the schafer trail (potash). Maybe do some of the white rim trail as well (although mineral bottom access is completely washed out now). Gemini Bridges would be nice on a dual sport. You could probably do Slick Rock on it with no problem. It's really not too hard.

lathrop trail to canyonlands is fun. head out to hurrah pass and just keep going. if your bike is street legal you can do elephant hill in canyonlands. theres heaps of good rides for a dual sport. you will have fun on any of the 4wd trails.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

First of all, thanks for the recommendations guys. I've ridden in Moab once before (earlier this spring) and we rode the White Rim Trail as well as Gemini Bridges. I was miserable in some of the sandy areas (went down several times). I'm still a bit intimidated and wussy. =) Guess I just need to suck it up!

That's crazy about the washed out part of Mineral Basin - I just came across that information recently. I'm glad we got the full White Rim loop under our belts.

Slick Rock - not gonna be too challenging? Is it fairly straight forward?
    Lathrop - I think I know which that is...I'll look into it some more
    Hurrah Pass - I had that one in mind as I've heard it's fairly tame. I'll have to look into the 'just keep going' part.
    Elephant Hill - I've hiked and 4x4'd a few times. My buddy has ridden and claimed it might be a bit challenging (few spots) with stock gearing. Thoughts?
    Beef Basin Road - You guys ridden that one? You can make it a big loop and connect with Elephant Hill, can't you?
    La Sals - Might be too chilly, eh?

Thanks again guys!

You can ride any trail in Moab on your KLX 250. Most of our guys ride TTR 230's. If you want some close to town ride fins and things, go counter clockwise on fins. Then try the practice loop on slick rock. If you are comfortable on the practice loop hit the main loop. There is only one spot on the full slick rock trail that is a little sketchy, other then that it's pretty easy on a bike. My 9 year old loops it all the time on his 110. The sketchy spot is just after you start out on the main loop, the trail makes a pretty tight switch back. It can be walked with your bike if nervous. Takes about 45 minutes to do the main loop.
    Unless you are looking for a long day the road from Hurrah Pass to Needles is quite a jaunt. Not nearly as scenic as White Rim. A shorter one out there that is fun is head out the same road but go out to chicken corners and back. It ends across from Dead Horse Point look out.
    If you are comfortable after riding fins and things you can ride anything in Moab. Fins has a little of everything you will encounter in Moab. Any of the jeep trails except Pritchet Canyon are pretty easy on a bike. To really be able to ride Moab you really need to be road legal. You can link multiple trails together to make a great day.
    Here are some of the more popular links.
    Steel Bender-Behind the Rocks-down Pritchett, probably the hardest loop.
    Poison Spider-Golden Spike- Metal Masher and then if you want more hit Bull Canyon to the bottom of Gemini Bridges or go out the top and come down Long Canyon.
    This is one of the best. Start at Spring Canyon-hit ten mile wash-the the tubes over by white wash sand dunes then ride to crystal geyser-then to Green River for Lunch. After Lunch ride back thru the same area but pop out at Millcreek. Good long day. Look for the enduro loop on the enclosed map.
    http://bookcliffrattlersmc.org/Dubinky.jpg this map is a little out of date and there are new travel maps for this area. But it will give you an idea of how much area there is Northwest of Moab.

Beef Basin does make a loop thru Elephant Hill. Awesome ride, Elephant Hill is pretty easy on a bike.

Awesome info moab mark! Thanks. I think my friends are going to make me mountain bike for one day...probably Slick Rock. After checking it out with the mountain bike, that'll give me a good idea of how I think I'd do on a KLX.

Definitely sounds like dual sporting in Moab is the way to go. I knew I made a wise purchase last summer!

Well, you gave me plenty of options. I probably won't have any cool video like mcirque posted, but maybe I'll post a TR with a few pics. It's always hard for me to stop and take pictures while riding.

PS - I'm sure your 9 year old would ride circles around me!