Thread: Camping near Willis Creek

Camping near Willis Creek

Bryce looks cold and the Kodachrome State Park CG is all booked for the weekend. Does anyone know if primitive camping is allowed near Willis Creek?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Some areas- I think so. Others are "wilderness study areas" which, even though they begin 10 feet off the road basically means that the public land isn't so much.

Call the GSENM to find out since they are the regulators there.

If you're planning on hiking Willis Creek, be sure to hit up Bull Valley Gorge too. Willis was alright, but there's no real sustained narrows. BVG takes my vote for the better of the two.

I plan on doing both as long as the roads are drivable, With this recent storm I am already working on a plan B. I called down to Kodachrome and they said there was plenty of primitive camping out there.

You'll do fine in a HCV. There's one spot crossing sheep creek that I wouldn't risk in a low clearance, but the rest is good. Unless it's muddy. Then all bets are off.

Just up the road going toward kodachrome from Willis creek (maybe a 1/4 mile) there are some pretty good spots on the left. Follow the side road out a little for the better ones.

Camping permit's (free) are at the Willis creek TH. Fill it out and place it in your window.
    I need a Canyoneering partner! I have a open schedule, all my own gear and am looking to go as much as possible..PM me!

Quote Originally Posted by DSTRBD View Post
    Just up the road going toward kodachrome from Willis creek (maybe a 1/4 mile) there are some pretty good spots on the left. Follow the side road out a little for the better ones.

here?

Thats very close, if you change to earth view, you can see several spots just off of willis creek road right after it leaves the main road, if you look at the earth view you will see that after about a half mile or so down willis creek road there is a "clear cut" area from logging I assume, all the good sites are before you reach the clearing.

Just find willis creek road and you will run into a half dozen or so spots immediately on the left side of willis creek road.

EDIT: here is 2 of our favorite spots.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    I need a Canyoneering partner! I have a open schedule, all my own gear and am looking to go as much as possible..PM me!