Thread: Roost/N. Wash canyon agenda for the Mississippi dudes...any suggestions appreciated

Roost/N. Wash canyon agenda for the Mississippi dudes...any suggestions appreciated

Next week we're flying into SLC to hit some Roost and N. Wash canyons with 1.5 day of mtn biking thrown in there just to ruin our bodies thoroughly. We're experienced in Zion (many yrs) but are new to this area (and know its totally different). We're after a good solid "taste" of the best stuff in the area, focusing on as much solid technical (only) canyons with the least amount of driving/approach overhead given our schedule. Basically we're coming to pack it in and lay the foundation for future trips to these areas as we really have worn Zion out so much over the past 5 years. For reference, Imlay and Heaps are our favorite canyons. We have a party of 4 experienced guys, full tech. canyon/climbing equip., and a single 4WD truck.

day 1: arrive, drive to alcatraz and camp on site
    day 2: do alcatraz. camp on site. I think we'll have some daylight left but havent filled in the gap with another canyon/activity here. suggestions for a follow up canyon in the area, same day?

day 3. larry canyon then drive to moab
    day 4 moab- porcupine mtn bike
    day 5 moab-slickrock trail early am...then drive to do zero gravity. Then drive to leprechaun campsite area.
    day 6 do the leprechauns and then drive back to SLC
    day 7 fly out of SLC in am

Thanks,

Houston Hardin
    Jackson, MS

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rhouston8 View Post
    Next week we're flying into SLC to hit some Roost and N. Wash canyons with 1.5 day of mtn biking thrown in there just to ruin our bodies thoroughly. We're experienced in Zion (many yrs) but are new to this area (and know its totally different). We're after a good solid "taste" of the best stuff in the area, focusing on as much solid technical (only) canyons with the least amount of driving/approach overhead given our schedule. Basically we're coming to pack it in and lay the foundation for future trips to these areas as we really have worn Zion out so much over the past 5 years. For reference, Imlay and Heaps are our favorite canyons. We have a party of 4 experienced guys, full tech. canyon/climbing equip., and a single 4WD truck.

day 1: arrive, drive to alcatraz and camp on site
    day 2: do alcatraz. camp on site. I think we'll have some daylight left but havent filled in the gap with another canyon/activity here. suggestions for a follow up canyon in the area, same day?

day 3. larry canyon then drive to moab
    day 4 moab- porcupine mtn bike
    day 5 moab-slickrock trail early am...then drive to do zero gravity. Then drive to leprechaun campsite area.
    day 6 do the leprechauns and then drive back to SLC
    day 7 fly out of SLC in am

Thanks,

Houston Hardin
    Jackson, MS
    I would definitely do Larry first, then Alcatraz. Being new to this type of canyoneering, I think Larry is a good introduction (= it is moderate) while Alcatraz is quite a bit harder (= ambitious for your first trip in the area).

Alcatraz is also shorter, so you could toss in a Zero Gravity on the way to Moab.

Skipping Zero G on the way to the Leps, when you arrive you could go do a West Leprechaun as a quickie. Then East and Main the second day, and drive north.

Raining today in Mt Carmel, maybe throughout the state. Conditions next week are likely to be a bit on the moist side.

Tom

Tom,

Great. Thanks for the suggestions. I sure hope the rain doesnt knock out our planned canyons. If so then we'll have to adjust plans accordingly of course. Yep, I bet Alcatraz will be harder on me than the rest of our crew as I'm 6' 2" and 200# and typically the largest guy on any of our trips. BUT I have a secret weapon...20 years of caving experience in TAG area (TN, AL, GA) so I'm very comfortable in awkward tight'ish dark stuff...hah.

-Houston

PS: In light of what you have gathered from my posts, do you think Eardley is one we'd be interested in , seeing that Zero-G . is right next to it?

Tom,

Great. Thanks for the suggestions. I sure hope the rain doesnt knock out our planned canyons. If so then we'll have to adjust plans accordingly of course. Yep, I bet Alcatraz will be harder on me than the rest of our crew as I'm 6' 2" and 200# and typically the largest guy on any of our trips. BUT I have a secret weapon...20 years of caving experience in TAG area (TN, AL, GA) so I'm very comfortable in awkward tight'ish dark stuff...hah.

-Houston

PS: In light of what you have gathered from my posts, do you think Eardley is one we'd be interested in , seeing that Zero-G . is right next to it?
    Eardley = not much canyon for a lot of pain. (no).

I've seen some TAG cavers do some very impressive things. 6' 2" 200# gets you under the "trouble" line. So you should be OK in Middle Lep, which, if you were say 240 would result in some possibly mighty struggling. At 200 lbs, probably no more than usual.

Water: assuming the rain stops, it just means the caves... er, canyons will be wetter and colder than usual. Might allow for wearing wetsuits, which is good as it preserves the skin better. The pool in East Lep might be full, but at 6-2, YOU might be able to stem over.

Tom

Tom,

-Houston

Oh, and...

I was contemplating a "stern warning" about getting in over your heads, but if you guyz iz TAG cavers - yeah, no problemo.

T

Instead of Eardley.... I'd substitute Arscenic or Slideanide, both are great routes and located close to the highways you will be driving..... you could actually do both routes for the same time/energy you would spend on Eardley.

Thanks Tom and IceAx.
    Grateful indeed...seeing that we have only one week a year to come out to visit the great state of UT for the canyons,etc.

And if either of "ya'll" are in the TAG neighborhood and want some vertical caving action..I can set you up, even if I can't make it myself.

cheers!

Houston

@ Tom

Looks like some interesting weather is headed your (our) way. There's a tornado warning for just south of Flagstaff and they're calling for potentially 60mph winds/golfball sized hail and flooding...

So glad I rode my bike to work today

If you do end up with extra time in the Larryea Area, you could check out No Mans Canyon. It is the next one west of Larry and only a few miles from the Alcatraz campsite. I've been meaning to check it out myself, the South Fork is done caver-style so bring your frog rig. Like I said, haven't done it yet.

If you do end up with extra time in the Larryea Area, you could check out No Mans Canyon. It is the next one west of Larry and only a few miles from the Alcatraz campsite. I've been meaning to check it out myself, the South Fork is done caver-style so bring your frog rig. Like I said, haven't done it yet.
    I didn't think No Mans was that great (but was still OK). Sams Mesa Box, East Pasture, North Fork and Bull Pasture slot are better. White Roost isn't bad.