Thread: experienced canyoneers request advice canyons in UT's N. Wash and Robbers Roost

experienced canyoneers request advice canyons in UT's N. Wash and Robbers Roost

We have a crew of 4 from VA and MS for our annual out-west canyon trip in mid-Oct. We have planned to arrive SLC, drive to North Wash or Robbers Roost area, camp out between 2 days of technical canyons then head to Moab to ride Porcupine,etc. We want to then drive back out for another night of camping squeezed b/t 2 more days of technical canyons before heading back to SLC to fly out. We are formulating our canyon plans now and need some advice.

Some perspective and background. While the Moab "area" (RR, N. Wash, Swell,etc) is totally virgin for us, all 4 of our crew have many years experience in the Zion area. We have done single day Full Imlay and 2 day Heaps trips many times each in addition to dozens of other Zion canyons. Imlay and Heaps with their keepers/pots, cold water swims , and long ass technical days are what we are into and enjoy the most. We have full rack of climbing gear but what we'd consider only 5.8 lead climbers (no 5.10 leaders in our groups this yr.). All have a high threshold for pain and suffering in general. We have 1 large four wheel drive vehicle and prefer not to get rent a second vehicle as a drop car.

So...driving from SLC towards the general Moab area...whats a good spot to make base camp for the next 2 nights and 2 days of canyons? I'm thinking we'd hit the Robbers Roost area for the first 2 nights/days of canyons/camping then go to Moab. After Moab we'd hit North Wash area for another 2 days of canyons and head straight from there back to SLC.

So we are looking for 2 days of awesome technical, challenging canyons in each of those two areas...and hopefully each can be done from it's respective basecamp. We have read all the Beta we can get our hands on but we know real value lies in you guys insight. The raw # of canyon choices and the option of doing more than 1 per day is something that frankly we aren't used to. We want to spend as much time in great canyons as possible as opposed to burning our limited trip time on mega-approaches due to poor planning and ignorance of local info.

Thanks so much,

Houston Hardin
    Jackson, MS

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

From a base camp in the north wash area, if you had 2 days, I would recommend Shenanigans and Hard Day Harvey. I think those are the 2 best slots in the area. The best slot in the roost by far, is Alcatraz (though Chambers and Larry are very good; N. Fk of Robbers also).

Nat

My only thought is being experienced in Zion or any other area doesn't necessary make you experienced in North Wash.... the skinny and/or high stemming canyons are a completely different animal.....

So my advice is to start with Middle Leprechaun and see what you think.... it's a classic and should be on your to-do list no matter what.... its one of the easier skinny canyons..... after that you will have a better understanding of what you are in for and should be able to make a more informed choice on what other canyons may or may not appeal to you....

The two most popular base camps where you are headed are Sandthrax in North Wash and Granery Springs in the Roost.

So we are looking for 2 days of awesome technical, challenging canyons in each of those two areas...
    None of the canyons in Moab I know about meet that description. Moab is more a place for short easy slots, arches and cool rock formations.

Larry and Alcatraz are my favorite slots in the Robbers Roost (haven't done Chambers). East Pasture and Sams Mesa Box are really cool too. Bluejohn has some cool stuff.

In North Wash, Middle Lep is cool and I really like Trail Canyon as well. They would be my two favorites. The Hog Springs drainage has some cool stuff.

My only thought is being experienced in Zion or any other area doesn't necessary make you experienced in North Wash.... the skinny and/or high stemming canyons are a completely different animal.....
    This is true.

Quote Originally Posted by rhouston8 View Post
    Imlay and Heaps with their keepers/pots, cold water swims , and long ass technical days are what we are into and enjoy the most. We have full rack of climbing gear but what we'd consider only 5.8 lead climbers (no 5.10 leaders in our groups this yr.). All have a high threshold for pain and suffering in general. We have 1 large four wheel drive vehicle and prefer not to get rent a second vehicle as a drop car.

So...driving from SLC towards the general Moab area...whats a good spot to make base camp for the next 2 nights and 2 days of canyons? I'm thinking we'd hit the Robbers Roost area for the first 2 nights/days of canyons/camping then go to Moab. After Moab we'd hit North Wash area for another 2 days of canyons and head straight from there back to SLC.

Thanks so much,

Houston Hardin
    Jackson, MS
    cable and segers hole, aka "the squeeze", sound like they would fit your bill. never done cable, but segers hole is fantastic. also in the swell upper iron wash is plenty of fun, at least when it was brim full - http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27140. and baptist draw/chute is in the area.

cedar mesa is a little further but gravel and cheesebox are great canyons as well and would fill your day.

x2 on hard day harvey, its really nice. and i've never done good day jim but it is right next door.

north wash/poison springs canyons are shorter days, you'd have plenty of time left over if long ass technical days are what you are into. unless you double up on canyons in a day. arscenic and constrychnine are great. leprechaun i personally have always found vastly overrated. foolin' around was way fun and i hear shenanigans is as well.

i think alcatraz is far and away the funnest slot in the roost, but nf is nice and the mindbenders are ok.

look in the canyoneering trip reports here if you want some more visuals and canyon info.
    signature

My first trip to N Wash we did East Lep, up East Blarney down West Blarney and then hit Morroco that evening. Next day we did Slidenaide and Arscenic in the Posion spring area. Was a great two days. Preferred the Arscenic and Slidenaide the best. Personally if you have never done a skinny canyon I would not start with Middle Lep.We went up it quite a ways and it is skinny. Bring both knee and elbow pads, these canyons are nothing like Zion. The only canyon in RR I have done was Larry. It is fun but without a shuttle it would be a long day.

When doing porcupine, shuttle up as high as they will take you that time of year. Awesome bike ride. If you have never rode the slickrock trail I would highly reccomend it also.

Mark

Also.... with your schedule you will be driving by Zero-G about 4 times. It's less then 2 hours car-to-car for an experianced group..... very few slots pack a bigger bang for the effert.... Zero-G is the Swell/Roost version of Keyhole in Zion.

thanks folks! what's the best campsite in close proximity to Alacatraz and Larry can

will continue due diligence. Good stuff for us to chew on.

what's the best campsite in close proximity to Alacatraz and Larry canyons?

Those look like two good 'uns close together with a central campsite likely.

-Houston

A lot of people camp right at the start of Alcatraz. It's not a bad campsite, and as Roost campsites go its better than most. The best part is you can use your car as the anchor for the first rappel in the morning.

And if you don't have a shuttle vehicle its a good place to base your Larry Canyon loop from so you do most the sand slogging early in the morning.

Not a good place to camp if you sleepwalk...

Not a good place to camp when the wind is blowing....

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Schnupp View Post
    Not a good place to camp when the wind is blowing....
    Is there a good place to camp in the Roost when the wind is blowing?

Has anyone ever seen the Alcatraz campsite in flood? I would imagine that since it is so wide, the flow there would be shallow. As in not enough to push a truck over the edge. A tent?

However, it is technically in a wash, and definitely something that gets discussed every time we camp there. Just wondering if anyone's seen it happen.

If you go on the road to the right a little past alcatraz there are some spots to pull off the road and camp. Really close still and not in a wash.
    The man thong is wrong.