Thread: Seashell Cave/South Fork Cave

Blog Entries

Seashell Cave/South Fork Cave

My friends and I had Tuesday off and I just got some information about this cave on Sunday, so what choice did we have?

It was an hr drive from home up to the canyon, and once we hit a very rock section in the road we had to park the car. We walked about a mile and half to reach the entrance of the cave, and it was all uphill, but thankfully, the path was wide, the terrain and fall colors were great, and the air temperatures were on the cool side.

@uintahiker, told us that it was bolted so we brought out gear and brought 400 feet of rope (8mm). The first room is quite large and is probably 20feet+ tall, and maybe 15 feet wide or so. There is only one way to climb down and it's a simple downclimb. But some might prefer a handline.

I thought for sure that the cave would be full of debris and graffiti with its proximity to the river, but that wasn't the case at all. It was clean, and the no graffiti, or logjams anywhere. The cave was pretty cold on the inside, so jackets are needed, especially gloves.

About 10feet to the North of the big room there, it slots up and forms a pour-off into a 50-60ft rappel into a much larger room. There were 3 bolts placed in strange positions, but we used the one right up above your head, which makes jugging at the end easier (free-rappel vs. wall-rappel).

This bigger room was 60feet+ tall and maybe 40feet in width. On opposite sides of the room there are big passageways. Probably from the river of water that is present in the spring months. To the north, that passageway goes maybe 30+ feet until you hit a large logjam. We didn't procede through it since it was really muddy in that isolated section. We could feel a breeze so it evidently continued pass the logjam.

On the opposite side, the passageway looks like a large mining tunnel. It proceeds another 20+ feet and gets quite tight and the only way through it belly-style. It was too muddy and decided not to go. But you can shine your lights and see that it continues for a ways.

Then we jugged ourselves back up and that was it. Pretty short adventure, but still, it was very nice to escape and do some caving this year.

This cave is more than likely a sump cave, which means that the water just percolates through the soil and disappears. We thought that the stream in the cave would lead to a smaller hole somewhere along the mountainside, but that doesn't seem to be the case (although....we didn't explore all of it so it might...)

After exiting, and with our caving eyes, we found an additional 3 caves in the area. These were a bit more exciting that the main cave, as they twist and curve more (which we love), but some where short, and others we ran out of time to continue investigating.

But there is a LOT of potential up there for more caves. A LOT of limestone.

One last thing, we called it seashell cave due to the large quantities of ancient seashells embedded in the granite and limestone rocks in this cave. And the weird thing was, the other caves we explored, did not have ANY seashells in them. Even on the hike in and out we noticed like one or two shells along away, but this cave hordes copious amounts. Interesting.

The pics are small, yes I know, but it's better than waiting for the big pics to upload. Maybe, I should use my picasa slideshow instead...
    Attached Images Attached Images                       
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Sweet! Glad you made it up there! Great TR & pics!

The south fork of the Weber? There are many caves and mines in that area that are very fun to explore.
    I need a Canyoneering partner! I have a open schedule, all my own gear and am looking to go as much as possible..PM me!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DSTRBD View Post
    The south fork of the Weber? There are many caves and mines in that area that are very fun to explore.
    Yup. No wonder we found some pretty easy up there.
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Awesome! I love the south fork, one of my favorite camping canyons of all time. So you did the 2 that were easiest to find? just past the meadow after the rockslide? One on the left after exiting the meadow trees and one just left of where the river runs into the mountain? There are other sinks around in the meadow area too. The famous "yellowjacket" mines (Rhodes mines) are up the canyon further on the right in a side canyon. I have been in more than a dozen holes in that area. SOOO Beautiful there... Jealous...
    I need a Canyoneering partner! I have a open schedule, all my own gear and am looking to go as much as possible..PM me!

Hey J-man & Dstrbd-
    PM me with the coords you've got for the other caves. I've got another one for the area as well...

Blog Entries
    Here's a few more pics from my phone.

"SEND IT, BRO!!"