Thread: Pleiades-Dragon Fly-Infinity Loop Fiery Furnace

Pleiades-Dragon Fly-Infinity Loop Fiery Furnace

My daughter and I and her friend and Dad were down to Moab over the weekend. Glad we went to Moab over North Wash, it was hot. Had a great time, here are a few pic's.

? has anyone tried rigging the middle two rappels in Pleiades with one long rope? If you have could you pull it?

About half way thru the Infinity Loop they wanted to know where I found this sadistic activity. There looking for Ram so they can give him a black eye.

That big boulder at the last rappel in Dragon Fly has fallen since I was there last. They are proud of their shadow pictures.

I bought a piece of junk Olympus waterproof camera on the way down. I do not think It can take a in focus picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images                     

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Blog Entries
    thanks for the TR Mark!
    Looks like a good time. Good choice with the water, I would of second that too.

And yes, you can combine the rappels in Pleiades. I did it and don't remember having any problems. Although, for most long pulls, I just use one handled ascender and it's a piece of cake...
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    thanks for the TR Mark!
    Looks like a good time. Good choice with the water, I would of second that too.

And yes, you can combine the rappels in Pleiades. I did it and don't remember having any problems. Although, for most long pulls, I just use one handled ascender and it's a piece of cake...
    Had a group in front of us last May, they combined the 2 and stuck their rope. If we hadn't been there, they wouldn't have been able to unstick it. Water temp was very cold and air temp was 39 when we started, not a lot of room for error.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

Nice TR. Loved the shadow pics!

BTW, for a waterproof camera I just picked up a Lumix (Panasonic) DMC-TS2 and I love it. 28mm equiv wide angle and 720p HD video.
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

Hi Mark,

Looks like your group wasn't wearing wetsuits in Pleiades, that work out ok? More of a class B than C this time of year?

Thanks, Carroll

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oldno7 View Post
    Had a group in front of us last May, they combined the 2 and stuck their rope. If we hadn't been there, they wouldn't have been able to unstick it. Water temp was very cold and air temp was 39 when we started, not a lot of room for error.
    Hmm, wondered how they got it stuck. I've done it 4x in the past two years, and have always combined the two with 0 problems.

But if you are doing a water canyon, during spring-run off with air-temps in the high 30s...you are just begging for trouble. Luckily you guys were there to step in and help.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Cam View Post
    Hi Mark,

Looks like your group wasn't wearing wetsuits in Pleiades, that work out ok? More of a class B than C this time of year?

Thanks, Carroll
    We just wear rain coats. Your mainly just getting sprayed by ice cold water. My daughter and her friend had wished they would of brought the rain pants also but they lived.

Hmm, wondered how they got it stuck. I've done it 4x in the past two years, and have always combined the two with 0 problems.

But if you are doing a water canyon, during spring-run off with air-temps in the high 30s...you are just begging for trouble. Luckily you guys were there to step in and help.

What's the length if you combine those 2?

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar

Significant waterflow likes to take ropes and wrap them around rocks underwater. Doing multiple rappels from the same anchor in Class C conditions tend to get ropes stuck.

But, some people are lucky and get away with it.

CAN set the rope for both raps for the kids, then have Mark go through last and do two separate raps. In some situations, this would be a good idea.

Tom

Next time will set it as one rappel and see if we can pull before I bail. It would be a better rappel and alot faster if you could do it as one and get to take your rope home with you. If Ram and Deeps are out there lurking how did you guys do it the other day? Just glancing at it, it looks like it would be no problem if you use one rope. If a knot is involved it looks like it could easily snag on the corner? Just guessing but I think the total length would be over a 100'? I bet you could probably link the last 3 into one and have a better chance of pulling your rope due to the angle for the pull then just linking the middle two? Regardless of how you do it it's a fun short canyon. Till you rub up against poison ivy on the way out.