Thread: Logan Canyon Sampler

Logan Canyon Sampler

This Saturday we are stringing together a few of the popular trails in Logan Canyon for a little epic adventure. 35 miles, 4500 vertical feet of total climbing, and 8000+ feet of descending. 27miles of singletrack and 8 miles of admittedly mediocre jeep road to connect everything together.

Viewing on a mobile device? Click this link to open the map: http://maps.google.com/maps/mm?ie=UTF8&hl=en&ll=41.803192,-111.674709&spn=0.208579,0.445976&t=h&z=12

Anybody wanna play? A good aerobic base strongly recommended!
    Last edited by neilether; 09-22-2010 at 03:35 PM. Reason: Fixed map per MTNBKR's suggestion

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Hmmm, not sure why, but my Google Maps cuts this track into two sections........for some reason it is not displaying the last part of the ride. It should end at 1st dam at the mouth of Logan Canyon

Deleted by OP
    Last edited by neilether; 09-22-2010 at 03:36 PM. Reason: fixed map above.....

Quote Originally Posted by neilether View Post
    Hmmm, not sure why, but my Google Maps cuts this track into two sections........for some reason it is not displaying the last part of the ride. It should end at 1st dam at the mouth of Logan Canyon

Maybe zoom out a bit, refresh the page, and grab that new link.

It's because Google Maps doesn't think anybody can ride that far. You have to do the Google Map two-step to get a long track to show. Extracted from the internets:

Because Google Maps offers a KML export of a My Map, AND can display remote KML files, it can exploit the two functionalities together to get a slightly better display method.

Import your long KML into a Google Map My Map. If it looks cutoff it may just be spread over two pages or more.

When viewing your cut off My Map, right click the 'View in Google Earth' button and copy the link to the clipboard.

Open a new Google Maps window, go to My Maps and paste the URL copied earlier into the search box, and click the Search Maps button.

You should now get a display of your My Map - that doesn't page. Then "Save to My Maps". The non-paging map will be in "Created by Others" however the URL can be used in Bogley.

I think you have to leave both the original My Map and the new Created by Others in my maps otherwise strange things happen.

See you Saturday.
    Gene

Quote Originally Posted by MtnBkr View Post
    It's because Google Maps doesn't think anybody can ride that far. You have to do the Google Map two-step to get a long track to show. Extracted from the internets:

Because Google Maps offers a KML export of a My Map, AND can display remote KML files, it can exploit the two functionalities together to get a slightly better display method.

Import your long KML into a Google Map My Map. If it looks cutoff it may just be spread over two pages or more.

When viewing your cut off My Map, right click the 'View in Google Earth' button and copy the link to the clipboard.

Open a new Google Maps window, go to My Maps and paste the URL copied earlier into the search box, and click the Search Maps button.

You should now get a display of your My Map - that doesn't page. Then "Save to My Maps". The non-paging map will be in "Created by Others" however the URL can be used in Bogley.

I think you have to leave both the original My Map and the new Created by Others in my maps otherwise strange things happen.

See you Saturday.
    Worked like a charm! Map in first post contains full version of the ride.

I don't see it. Must not be working
    Just looks like a Sat map of the area no trail marked
    IF she isn't happy no ones happy. If she isn't happy long enough you'll unhappy with half your stuff.
    http://childbikingutah.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by StudChild View Post
    I don't see it. Must not be working
    Just looks like a Sat map of the area no trail marked
    It is working for me this morning. Let me know if you are still having problems viewing it and I can send you the Google Earth file.

Don't mean to hijack the thread but, what would you guys think of a mtn. bike trail in Smithfield Canyon? I'm on the Uintah Wasatch Cache National Forest Resource Advisory Committee and one of the guys from Cache County is proposing a rebuild of the Smithfield Canyon dirt road and camping areas. With his proposal will be a mtn. bike trail basically paralleling the road with a distance of 7-8 miles. Could be a fun out-'n-back. I haven't seen any details but he explained the project to me yesterday at our meeting in Salt Lake. He will have the formal proposal at next months meeting. The money is there, but will be voted on by the committee for the go ahead. If approved, would anybody up that way like to get involved and help with design, flow, etc.?
    Are we there yet?

Quote Originally Posted by tallsteve View Post
    Don't mean to hijack the thread but, what would you guys think of a mtn. bike trail in Smithfield Canyon? I'm on the Uintah Wasatch Cache National Forest Resource Advisory Committee and one of the guys from Cache County is proposing a rebuild of the Smithfield Canyon dirt road and camping areas. With his proposal will be a mtn. bike trail basically paralleling the road with a distance of 7-8 miles. Could be a fun out-'n-back. I haven't seen any details but he explained the project to me yesterday at our meeting in Salt Lake. He will have the formal proposal at next months meeting. The money is there, but will be voted on by the committee for the go ahead. If approved, would anybody up that way like to get involved and help with design, flow, etc.?
    I would, that sounds great.
    IF she isn't happy no ones happy. If she isn't happy long enough you'll unhappy with half your stuff.
    http://childbikingutah.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by tallsteve View Post
    Excellent hijack! That would be awesome! There seems to be a lot of opportunity up there. The dirt road is an ok ride, and where the road ends, the singletrack above that is quite fun. However, there is a wilderness boundary up there somewhere that is not marked very well......Anyway, post it up here and I know quite a few guys who would be willing to help out. It'd be nice to have another bona fide singletrack trail (Green Canyon being the other) that close to town!

I cannot see it either! I want to see where you went!

I would LOOOOVE a Green Canyon single track type trail up EVERY canyon from the valley.

Millville Canyon has a new trail at the upper section for about 1 mile. They did this last June trails day. It wasn't quite worth the dusty bike ride on the road, but I will do it more when more single track is added.

Quote Originally Posted by Shan View Post
    I cannot see it either! I want to see where you went!
    Hmmm, not sure what's going on. I can see it on my computer. Can anybody else actually see my track on the embedded Google map? I tried to attach the .gpx file so you could open it in Google Earth, but that doesn't appear to be an allowed file extension......PM me if you want it and I can get it to you.

Cool! I'll pass on any information I get.
    Are we there yet?

I can see the track on the map.

Here is my attempt:

Viewing on a mobile device? Click this link to open the map: http://maps.google.com/maps/mm?ie=UTF8&hl=en&ll=41.803192,-111.674709&spn=0.277167,0.370102&t=p&z=12
    Gene

Quote Originally Posted by neilether View Post
    Map in first post contains full version of the ride.
    Currently it's only embedding this link: http://maps.google.com/maps/mm?ie=UT...45976&t=h&z=12

That location does not contain any tracks.