Thread: Question about Toyota Tacoma - Long Bed

Question about Toyota Tacoma - Long Bed

Hey all, my 1993 Nissan Hardbody just sh#% the bed (transmission+209,000 miles+other repairs needed=dead). The repairs are more than I spent on the truck 8 years ago .

So, I get to buy a new car. I am looking at a 2005 or 2006 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 SR5 Double Cab Long Bed (6 foot) truck similar to this: Name:  Picture 55..png
Views: 35476
Size:  200.1 KBName:  Picture 54..png
Views: 44100
Size:  211.8 KBName:  Picture 53..png
Views: 33068
Size:  230.3 KB

My question is: in your experience, is a truck like this too long to maneuver in many places in the desert and mountains? My old truck had a 6 foot bed but it also had much shorter wheel base and was taller. I can always lift it to help but I immediately worry about bottoming out on certain roads in the Swell, Cedar Mesa, etc.

Thoughts?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I've got the same truck shown above. I have no complaints about it. I've driven it off-road a bit not not too much. The only time I've ever bottomed out was on a curb but I think it could use a little more clearance. I plan on lifting mine soon. Great truck though.

We're all here, because we ain't all there.
    I didn't know they made them with a 6' bed, my wife was interested in one but hated the short beds.
    I'm not Spartacus

It'll come back.

Professional Mangler of Grammar

Guns don't kill people--Static Ropes Do!!

Who Is John Galt?

I don't think you'd have any problems. That's the sport version with the long bed, I have the Off Road version with the short bed and love it. I havent' come across anything that would warrant a lift and I've been taking it all over the place. Perhaps some slightly larger tires but not a lift. I had a previous gen Taco as well, extended cab Off Road version with the long bed, again no problems anywhere I took it. Here's some pics of my old one and new one in action.

Old Taco:
    Name:  IMG_0079..jpg
Views: 8028
Size:  64.3 KB

New Taco:
    Name:  IMG_9074..jpg
Views: 4615
Size:  58.2 KB

Name:  IMG_3752..jpg
Views: 4568
Size:  153.9 KB

Sweet truck!!! That is the next vehicle I am getting for me.
    The man thong is wrong.

Thanks all.

What is the difference between the sport version and the off road version? If the off road taller? I notice that they have an off road version that is 2 wheel drive.

I really don't want to have to lift it either.

I didn't think they had the TRD Off Road package available in a 2-wheel drive version... seems kind of like an oxymoron. Here are the differences that I know of:

1. TRD Off Road has some high performance Billstein suspension that kicks the crap out of the Sport. This is probably one of the largest advantages for the kinds of roads you'll drive on in Utah. I can attest to how incredible it is. I fly over washboards like I'm on pavement, it really amazes me everytime.

2. Off Road has some other little features that the sport doesn't have like Downhill Assist Control and some other little things like that. There's a button where you can turn off all airbags so when you're really off roading hard you won't accidentally deploy them.

3. The Off Road has chrome trim rather than color coded. Looks better in my opinion, more shiny, less cheap plasticy.

4. Sport has the faux hood scoop. Looks cool but is completely useless, doesn't actually let any air into the engine compartment. I wish I could have had one on my Off Road just for the looks though.

5. Off Road comes with better tires from the factory. Usually BFG's compared to some crappy Dunlops on the Sport.

6. Off Road has a locking rear differential and the Sport has a limited slip rear differential

I'm sure there's more minor differences but I can't think of them. I can tell you though that the only way you'd ever need one taller is if you're rock crawling. Throw a set of BFG A/T's on there that are the next size up and that's all the lift you'd ever need.

Here's one more pic of mine. Gotta show it off when I get the chance!

Name:  IMG_9355%20-%20Ver&#11.jpg
Views: 4635
Size:  103.0 KB

my dad has taken his stock extended cab long bed (8 foot) on a few trails and hasn't had any problems (except for the unwanted pinstriping on his pretty black truck)
    "Idontgiveshitjustdothedew"

I took some 4WD lessons from professional driving instructor who owned one of the short-bed 4-door models. I drove it for part of the lesson and it did great. But, I think your longer bed version will be a little less capable with respect to break-over angle. Compare the wheel base lengths but I'd suspect it will be longer. The bed sticking out a bit might have an impact on departure and approach angle too

That said, I'm sure it's a fine truck. But there are trails where those differences can matter. Do some searches but a real quick one of mine found this page that claims to measure these things on a variety of stock vehicles. I don't know anything about the site though, nor if their tests are accurate:

http://www.toyoland.com/trucks/4runner.html
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

I have a '07 Access Cab TRD with the 6' bed. I've been all over the swell, roost, cedar mesa, comb ridge, moab, kanab - zion area, uintahs, etc etc etc. Stock lift and tires - no problemo - Only one issue I've seen, is that if you have the tow package, the mount for the electric is put in a stupid spot - I killed it within 100 miles of buying my truck crossing a creek bed. Do the 'taco - you won't be sorry!
    Tear down Dams, Build up Dreams!

Nice, so is your TRD any of the above mentioned packages? Sport, Off Road? Sounds like I'll be fine either way but the Off Road is the better.

Mine is the Off-Road - the suspension is much better for off-road travel -

TRD Sport Has:
    Sport Tuned Bilstein Shocks

TRD Offroad has:
    Off Road Tuned Bilstein Shocks ( heavier Dampening Rate)
    Progressive Rate front Coil Springs
    Off Road Cambered Rearspings to compensate for wheel travel in offroad situations
    Smaller stabilizer Bar

Also, the chrome looks much better imo, and the scoop on the hood of the TRD sport is not only ugly, but fake.

In the Off-Road package, you also get the locking diff. which I've only had to use twice, but am awfully glad I had it when I did.

Also - and I realize this is personal preference, but my truck is 6-speed manual - and I'd never trade it for a auto.

Name:  4537943706_bb76dd8&#49.jpg
Views: 4507
Size:  260.7 KB
    Tear down Dams, Build up Dreams!

So I ended up getting an older version that I could just pay cash for. I don't need the car payment and I don't drive enough to worry about the newer smoother model. Pretty happy with it so far.

Thanks for all your help.

Name:  1999ToyotaTacoma2..jpg
Views: 4454
Size:  43.8 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Awesome. You'll have a lot of fun in that truck.

Congrats. Nice looking Toy.

I like the older version like yours better than the new! Sweet ride! I'm jealous!
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn