Thread: Snow or NO on West Fork-Black's Fork Road?

Snow or NO on West Fork-Black's Fork Road?

Does anyone know the current road condition into the river crossing up the West Fork of the Black's Fork? Heading to the Buck Pasture first of Oct. and hoping to be able to hoof it. Otherwise, any information regarding ATV or (gulp) Snowmobile in the area. I haven't been in there for many years. Access to the wilderness boundary changed much?

Thanks,
    Jenny
    Jenny

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I haven't been up this year but in years past it's always been pretty good, especially later in the year once the runoff dies down. Even when it's been full the river bed has been solid and easily crossable. Definitely a HC 4WD thing though. I doubt you'll have any snow problems in early October but you never know, although enough for a snowmobile would be really unlikely. After the crossing I think you can make it another mile to a mile and a half before hitting a gate that is locked. From there it's a couple of miles to the wilderness boundary. My distances could be off, just going from memory.

Here's some pics I took of my buddy crossing last time I was there in 2008.

Name:  07highlinewfbf028.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  72.3 KB

Name:  07highlinewfbf029.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  78.5 KB

Name:  07highlinewfbf030.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  102.2 KB

Name:  07highlinewfbf031.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  105.6 KB

Name:  07highlinewfbf032.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  77.1 KB

Name:  07highlinewfbf033.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  68.2 KB

I LOVE the West Fork of Black's Fork! No idea on how the road is though.

Ibenick- great pictures of the stream crossing. Your pics brought back some good memories of a few years back when I drove across in my '90 accord. The water was a little lower, and we were the only "little" car at the end of the road. Haha- good times!

There is no snow yet - the crossing should be good as the water will be real low - those pics above are pretty high water. I was there one spring and some idiot tried to cross and he was setting on the roof of his vehicle while the water was going through his cab. There were about 20 campers with their lawn chairs and beers watching the event as a couple of trucks were trying to pull him out. It is the road on the other side that is rough, and then you have to cross the river again to get to the official trailhead. I would just assume park and follow the river up as it isn't that far.
    Biking, Hiking, and Fishing are life. Everything else is just fluff.

Thank you all for the responses to my inquiry. Dan R. reported to me that he saw from his flight window, new snow in the high country. I well recall how rough the road through the woods is/was. I'll throw in a mnt. bike to get me to the wilderness boundary, just in case. Then, a short jaunt up to the buck pasture. Hopefully, no snow this week. Then?....LET 'ER RIP!
    Jenny

Quote Originally Posted by carverbc View Post
    Thank you all for the responses to my inquiry. Dan R. reported to me that he saw from his flight window, new snow in the high country. I well recall how rough the road through the woods is/was. I'll throw in a mnt. bike to get me to the wilderness boundary, just in case. Then, a short jaunt up to the buck pasture. Hopefully, no snow this week. Then?....LET 'ER RIP!
    Jealous. Have fun up there. Temps are much higher than average for this time of year. You'll have a great time.