Thread: Climbing Grand Teton

Climbing Grand Teton

Has anyone used Exum Guides to climb Grand Teton before ... was wondering how they rated with you.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrington3165 View Post
    Has anyone used Exum Guides to climb Grand Teton before ... was wondering how they rated with you.
    My two brothers and sister-in-law did it about three weeks ago. They charge roughly $500 per person, and expect about $20-35/tip a person per day.

They train for 3 or 4 days and when you start your journey they will provide everything except the food.

You will camp at the large saddle in large canopy tents and wake up about 3am to climb the cliffs to the top. And plan to summit around 8am and be back at your cars around 4-5pm.

You will practice climbing and rappelling Near Jenny lake at hidden falls for those few practice days.

They saw three bears on their way up and over 5 moose on the way down. They said the fauna and flora are abundant.

It was a tough hike, but manageable if you are in reasonably good shape. One of my brothers just hiked with me down to Havasu Falls the weekend before the Grand Teton trip (up and down...easily 25miles in three days). You should be in decent shape, otherwise the hike will kick your butt and the guide will refuse to take you up.

That's all I can remember top of my mind from them. Any specific questions you want me to ask them?
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

The Grand? Do you have any climbing experience?

You could do the Owen Spaulding route without a guide, and if you are a climber you could do the Exum Ridge route too.

If you are super hardcore you can do the grand in a single day and pack light. We did that last time, but the weather got crappy and icy so we ended up turning back about 700 feet from the summit :( That sucked.

But... the window for this year is over - unless you want to die. So if you want to go next year, and you have your own gear and stuff we might do Exum Ridge route sometime... I'll only charge you $400 and make you carry all my gear ;)
    -----
    "It's a miracle curiosity survives formal education" - Albert Einstein

For a good time, check out my blog. or update the CanyonWiki

Exum and JHMG are both outstanding for guiding The Grand. I'd compare the two and pick the one that best fits you. Both will tailor your climb to fit your experience and desires.

i don't think you will find any guiides more qualified then the guides for exum. i have many friends who have worked for the exum guide service over the years and i would highly recommend them. i also did the exums guide course in 1980 as well.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.