Thread: Full Imlay?

Full Imlay?

Anyone done Full Imlay recently? Or even this year? Just curious what the anchor conditions are in the top half of the canyon. Trying to decide between full imlay or sneak route in a couple of days. Thanks.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I did the whole canyon with Parker from Vegas back in early June. Although I have never done it with the Sneak Route, I would highly recommend doing the entire route. The rappels are fun and from what I hear, you dont save much time going the sneak route. All the anchors were fine as well, but this was months ago.

Just ran Full Imlay a few days ago. Anchors in the top 1/2 of the canyon are fine, no issues. The lower section potholes were all full. The water in them was quite stank, lots of organic debris. The upper section really is worth doing; starting from Lava Point/West Rim Trail is the way to go, the approach hike is all down hill, but it is a long car shuttle but worth it not to have to gruel uphill from Zion Canyon/Grotto/Angels Landing

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave Silence View Post
    Just ran Full Imlay a few days ago. Anchors in the top 1/2 of the canyon are fine, no issues. The lower section potholes were all full. The water in them was quite stank, lots of organic debris. The upper section really is worth doing; starting from Lava Point/West Rim Trail is the way to go, the approach hike is all down hill, but it is a long car shuttle but worth it not to have to gruel uphill from Zion Canyon/Grotto/Angels Landing
    Did you go through on Friday/Saturday?

Just a heads up we were going to try and do Imlay tuesday. Got the permit and called to try and get a red pass to park and was informed that west rim is closed from the bottom to angels landing all next week. Good thing gwe found out before my buddy had caught a flight down from Boise and then find out we couldn't go. How much longer is doing full imlay verse the sneak route?

Mark

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by moab mark View Post
    Just a heads up we were going to try and do Imlay tuesday. Got the permit and called to try and get a red pass to park and was informed that west rim is closed from the bottom to angels landing all next week. Good thing gwe found out before my buddy had caught a flight down from Boise and then find out we couldn't go. How much longer is doing full imlay verse the sneak route?

Mark
    The book says 12 to 16 hours for the full, 9 to 14 for the Sneak route. So that would be 2-3 hours longer. Uh, I guess I'm in the same boat, was planning Imlay on Saturday...

Tom

The backcountry desk should flag that online. If we hadn't called for a parking pass we would of just showed up. Needless to say Tad is pissed. He got his ER schedule rearranged to come.

Quote Originally Posted by Deeps View Post
    Did you go through on Friday/Saturday?
    Ran it on saturday

Quote Originally Posted by moab mark View Post
    The backcountry desk should flag that online. If we hadn't called for a parking pass we would of just showed up. Needless to say Tad is pissed. He got his ER schedule rearranged to come.
    September 3, 2010
    For Immediate Release
    Ron Terry 435-772-0160
    Erik De Groat 435-772-0180
    10-39

Angels Landing Hiking Route to Close for Repairs Superintendent Jock Whitworth
    has announced that the Angels Landing hiking route and all climbing routes on
    that rock formation will close for several days starting in mid-September. A
    Zion National Park trail crew will be working on route improvements including
    re-chiseling existing steps, drilling and installing new posts and chains in
    some areas to better delineate the route, and adding dry stone masonry to
    improve footing. The closure is necessary due to helicopter activity in the
    area, movement of materials and equipment, and for visitor and work crew safety
    while work is in progress on the narrow route.

September 15th and 16th and September 20th through the 23rd, the West Rim Trail
    will be closed from the Grotto to Scout Lookout. The Angels Landing route will
    also be closed from Scout Lookout to the summit of Angels Landing. All climbing
    routes on the cliff faces of Angels Landing will also be closed for those time
    periods.

From September 27 to October 14, the Angels Landing route from Scout Lookout to
    the summit and climbing routes on the Angels Landing cliff faces will be closed
    Monday through Thursday. The Angels Landing route and climbing routes will be
    open Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays. The West Rim Trail from the Grotto
    trailhead will be open at all times for those hikers wishing to visit Scout
    Lookout or the West Rim of Zion Canyon.

Alternate hikes with similar views are available on the Observation Point and
    East Rim trails. When open, the West Rim trail to Scout Lookout and further up
    to the canyon rim is also very rewarding. Rangers at any of the park visitor
    contact stations can help with alternate trip planning or you can visit the park
    website at www.nps.gov/zion.

Visitors are reminded that their safety is their responsibility. Even with the
    route improvements, exposed cliffs and great heights present situations where
    lack of situational awareness can have life threatening consequences. Any
    location with vertical exposure can be dangerous and should not be
    underestimated. Attention to the terrain and focus on footing are essential for
    a safe experience.

Ran Full Imlay on Saturday. All anchors in upper section and lower section were in good shape. About 3 potholes in the lower section required beach whale moves, not too difficult, but if water drops another foot or so hooking could become neccessary.

Ahhhh, the only way to do Imlay. Jealous. I love that canyon.
    Life is Good

Quote Originally Posted by ratagonia View Post
    Uh, I guess I'm in the same boat, was planning Imlay on Saturday...

Tom
    Tom, still planning on an Imlay trip? looking for partners to carry the ropes?

Quote Originally Posted by UtahAdventureGuide View Post
    Tom, still planning on an Imlay trip? looking for partners to carry the ropes?
    We've got a good team lined up, so, thanks but the trip is full.

Tom