Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Imlay Canyon Hike 9-12-10

Imlay Canyon Hike 9-12-10

Ok Deanpaul, Shaun, Dave? We had an awesome time in Imlay yesterday, but, but, but this thread is WORTHLESS without pics! Thanks for letting me join you. Been a LONG time since I'd had the pleasure to visit this central Zion Canyon. My-my how things change over the years (days, weeks, months), anyhow it was really fun Dave, Shaun and Deanpaul! 27 Days and counting for 9 days of relaxation and excitement. Did I ever mention that I've become addicted to River Trips?!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    i'll get around to posting pics. conditions full. beach whale moves. two are a little harder beach whale moves but yield to back pack toss or sitting on your pack for extra leverage and giving a hand to those that follow.

edit: Deleting this portion as it was a poorly written sarcastic joke on my part. Sorry Bo, and anyone else for the confusion. I've always had nothing but fun and safety on trips with Bo, and consider him a great person and example to what others should live up to.

Quote Originally Posted by trackrunner View Post
    oh and Bo has this no jumping rule, especially if you can't tell the depth, which he broke the entire canyon. but to give him credit he was the only one that could tell the depth of the "clear" brown water in the canyon.
    Ah but contraire Shaun! I did not jump any "rappels"; On the other hand I downclimbed many of the rappels that you did, but you just weren't there to watch, and then I just reported to you depth and any hazards you might encounter! The only one that I slipped a few feet was that one that had a log at the bottom and I stood on it and slipped. That was the only one that my head even went under water. I did slide a couple times and drop maybe 2 feet into the water where it was waist deep, but never with any momentum that would have been injurious. I was quite enjoying the downclimbing problem solving when I felt safe and confident.

Ok Bo, this is the second time you have teased us with these great trips your doing, You sir, need a camera!! First fat mans's, now Imlay! Dont you dare post about your river trip without pics!!
    I need a Canyoneering partner! I have a open schedule, all my own gear and am looking to go as much as possible..PM me!

Quote Originally Posted by DSTRBD View Post
    Ok Bo, this is the second time you have teased us with these great trips your doing, You sir, need a camera!! First fat mans's, now Imlay! Dont you dare post about your river trip without pics!!
    Sorry 'bout the teasin'! Normally I do take a camera, but after several hikes I've done with certain people I realize it's not just about the fun, but time becomes a factor. I really like to get done sometimes while it's daylight and the restaurants are still serving. You can be certain I'll have 9 days worth of river photos! My last canyon trip (Fat Mans Misery) was really awesome as Sarah and I hung out together for 9 hours. Sarah is imaginative, creative, smart and best of all had fun and showed it in her expressions!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by DSTRBD View Post
    Here's a picture taken in 2003. (I took a camera) Mikal, Rich and I had a GREAT time. We did a lot of rock climbing together and I knew we'd be back home in time to get cleaned up, have a BBQ and hang out for the rest of the afternoon! We actually laughed a lot on this Imlay hike. I like it when hikes are fun! A few more from 2002 with Guy and Steve!

ephemeral excursionist blueeyes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bo_Beck View Post
    Sorry 'bout the teasin'! Normally I do take a camera, but after several hikes I've done with certain people I realize it's not just about the fun, but time becomes a factor. I really like to get done sometimes while it's daylight and the restaurants are still serving. You can be certain I'll have 9 days worth of river photos! My last canyon trip (Fat Mans Misery) was really awesome as Sarah and I hung out together for 9 hours. Sarah is imaginative, creative, smart and best of all had fun and showed it in her expressions!
    I love the picture!!! DSTRBD I am working on the TR and will get photo's posted soon. I only have so much time in a day and I need more.
    Chere'

i'll get around to posting pics. conditions full. beach whale moves. two are a little harder beach whale moves but yield to back pack toss or sitting on your pack for extra leverage and giving a hand to those that follow.
    Both of those "harder" moves were accomplished (as I was last one through on both) very easily by just reaching around the corner to the right, grabbing the large lip and pulling up onto one knee onto the saddle. No need for pack toss, sitting on pack or even assisting others. The canyon was full and very easily accomplished.

Had a great time with Bo, Shawn, and Dean Paul. I wish my camera was working. I think some where someone has a picture of Bo "repelling" upside-down into a scummy pothole, trying to test the depth out with his new fleece-lined Kevlar helmet!

--dNally

Quote Originally Posted by dnally View Post
    Had a great time with Bo, Shawn, and Dean Paul. I wish my camera was working. I think some where someone has a picture of Bo "repelling" upside-down into a scummy pothole, trying to test the depth out with his new fleece-lined Kevlar helmet!

--dNally
    Gotta' enjoy the canyon from all perspectives Dave! You know me by now?! Gotta to swim a "Rapid" to gain the whole perspective! I was checking for thunderstorms on the way down!

Quote Originally Posted by dnally View Post

--dNally
    Welcome to the Bogley Forum Dave! And for those that don't know Dave "dnally"; I've had the pleasure of doing several hikes with Dave; West Temple, South Guardian, Subway and some local Red Mountain Hikes. Dave invited me on a Green River Canoe trip a year ago, and then on the San Juan last may, and in 26 days a Colo. River----->Cataract Canyon trip. Yep Dave....you are partly responsible for my recent "River" addiction! Anyway, here is a picture of Dave searching for......uh......a camera?

I woke up Sunday at 5 and was moving alright, sore, but still wasn't sure if I would be up for another death march through a canyon after taking friends through 17 miles of the Narrows on the day before. I planned to make my go/no-go decision at our meeting spot. I had heard great stuff about Imlay, it was on my want-to-do list and to do it with Bo and Shaun made even more so.

I quickly rolled the air mattress up and made my oatmeal. Quick glance at the clock and the time had already flipped to 5:25. Crap! I throw the oatmeal down while driving to the visitors' center. I hate being late. Everyone is already there when I show up, loading bags into Dave Nally's truck for the drive to the trailhead. There are only four of us instead of six, making it a faster group already. I wonder if I can keep up. I ask Bo how quickly he plans to move through the canyon. He knew I did the Narrows the day before and was on the fence, but he just laughed and said it would be an easy day. I'd taken four Advil the night before, and another four with the oatmeal. I knew I had about four or five hours before the dose would wear off and my body would start to remind me what I did to it the day before.

We were hiking before 6 up the trail at the Grotto. It's dark, the stars are out, and we're hiking by headlamp up the switchbacks. It feels straight up. We hiked 3000' total from the valley floor to get to the top of the plateau and then overlanded it to the Crossroads where the Imlay sneak approach starts. 9.9 miles up and over. I was dying. Feet, knees, and legs were strangely fine. No complaints. It was the weight of my pack with my wetsuit and gear rack were wearing me out. I wasn't even carrying the 200' 9mm rope. Shaun was a stud and carried it the entire approach. Lots of route finding and bush whacking. Climbing up drainages over felled trees and thick brush. Loose rock and sand that would move under my feet while climbing up slopes left my feet spinning like Wyle Coyote. At one point I came down hard on my left knee and knocked it into a rock slab. Felt like a needle was stuck in it for the rest of the day. I could walk fine, but I was aware something wasn't right there.

We got turned around for a minute – I think we dropped into Imlay above the crossroads and weren't certain we were in the right drainage. Then Bo recognized we were in upper Imlay. Dave found a quick climb canyon left which avoided the end of the upper potholes. By this point I was all hot and ready to get moving into the technical section to cool off. We had covered almost 10 miles in just over three hours. This is the alcove area in the photos. We suited up and started off through a narrow section. I had a 4/3 wetsuit and no layers, several others wore a layer under their suit. I began to worry I was going to popsicle the rest of the canyon.

The water was chocolate brown and smelled like death. The canyon is all stagnant water, and even when it flows the potholes are deep enough I'm not sure it ever fully flushes. Like a filling station toilet. Only this toilet is full of dead animals. They fall in or wash in the potholes and can't get out. These were my first real keeper potholes. The water was unusually full, so we were able to escape more easily than expected with pack tosses and beached whale maneuvers. Exhausting and exhilarating, even in their kitten stage. Shaun helped me over the lip of a pothole he had already summited (it was that big) but I kept taking the Nestea plunge back into the ick. Bo and Dave didn't even try to mute their laughter. I think the adrenaline kept me from feeling much pain. And embarrassment. I need to lay off the cupcakes. The potholes became deeper as we entered a second narrow section. A lot of times we would be swimming across a long reeking pool and bang into submerged logs or the lip of a pothole covered by high water. This canyon would be crazy more difficult with less water. I can see that. There were some sketchy down climbs into pools where we slid 10-15 feet down banked sandstone. Sometimes the water was 3' deep, and by tucking our knees we had a gentle splash down. Other times I found a rock or log under the water that would bounce me face first into the putrid. Often the water in these small pools was way over our heads, and twice my controlled slide got out of hand and I fully submerged with a double shot of gross to my sinuses. Nasty. The technical section is only 3.2 miles long, but it takes the most time. About 7.5 hours for us.

We could hear the Zion Narrows and hikers for almost 20 minutes before reaching the final rappel. I kept thinking we would round a bend and it would open up. Just more and more canyon, but I was having fun. The finale was a shear 160' cliff to the Virgin River below. Bo rigged a 200' rope with pull cord, and tossed it down. The tourists below watched and kept their distance. I should throw a few business cards in the dry bag next time and ask them to forward us their sweet DSLR shots after we're down... At the top of the rap we found a pair of eyeglasses and shorts. Somebody was probably bummed to get to the bottom and realize that they left them at the top. I packed them down and gave them to the back country desk. While waiting I noticed a hole the size of a quarter over my kidney in my wetsuit rubber. Like a bullet hole. It must have snagged somewhere, probably on one of the log jam down climbs. I hadn't gotten chilled or even noticed the cold until here, in the breeze. I think the hole happened near the end of the route somewhere or I would have noticed the cold water before. The rappel down was quick. I should have taken my time and made it last. Smiled for the camera and stuff.

It was good to be out of Imlay, and onto the 3.7 miles to complete the Narrows, catch a shuttle to our car, and down a Murder Burger at Oscar's in Springdale. My feet, which had been fine until now, went into bark mode every time I rolled them on the rocks in the stream bed. Walking on snot-covered bowling balls, two days in a row. I was glad I hauled treking poles through Imlay. They hung me up early in the day because they don't collapse far enough to fit inside my pack and snagged on everything when we were bush whacking. I was worried I would need them when we reached the Narrows and I was right. Before most of us were out of our wet suits Bo was walking off with his gear and the rope. We made it to the shuttle in just over an hour. I was on auto pilot. I don't even remember swapping out my neoprene socks at the river stairs. Just did it. Kept moving. We didn't see Bo until the shuttle stop, and were able to run the last 50 yards to catch one just as it was pulling away.

Had our celebration at Oscar's. So thankful to have people to tag along with on these canyons. Learning as I go, certainly couldn't do it without them, great team and great friends. Decided to get a shower from the RV campground and make a decision about the night. It was only 7:30, but I knew I was going down soon. No way could I make it four and a half hours back to SLC, and I wanted to stay turn the canyon booty into the Rangers and work out a problem with my express pass. Turned out they had mistyped something when I set it up in January. I decided to treat myself to a night in Watchman campground at the park and got a walk up site. I usually crash on BLM land, so the primitive campground was like a 5 star hotel. Was tired but not sleepy. Watched a few shows I had loaded onto the laptop and read until 10 next to a fire. Didn't even bother with the tent, too tired, just put the air mattress next to the car so the light from the bathrooms was blocked. Sweet, clear night with perfect stars and a breeze to keep the mosquitos away. I konked out.

Easy drive home Monday morning. Noticed a swollen left ankle last tonight, little tough descending stairs. Thanks for all the laughs in the canyon. And the pace. Super freaking sweet! Ready to go again!

Starting elevation: 4176
    Highest point: 7360
    Ending elevation: 4590
    Suggested time to complete: 16 Sneak / 24 Full
    Our time: 11. Not supersonic, but totally respectable.

Approach after the major elevation gain.

Lots of log hopping and log ducking along the edge of the Great Western Trail. The approach was bush whacking and debris filled.

Looking down on a section of what I think is the last section of upper Imlay.

Alcove at the crossroads.

Alcove.

The last of the upper narrows section.

Ready to go.

Deep swimmer, right from the start.

Dave.

Shaun and my brand new La Sportiva's. No blisters after 31 miles in two days. Totally happy.

The weighted double rappel.

Bo and Shaun working out their trust issues.

Moving quickly.

Can you find Bo Beck? Really should have passed on the cupcake. Tight squeeze ahead.

Waiting to help with the rope.

Sculpted stone.

Waterproof camera for the win.

Debris.

Dave from one pool to another.

Shaun in hyperspeed.

Loving the Imlay pack James Wadsworth game me - super thanks, James!

Shaun setting the length.

Warm sun, cold water.

About to cross to second pothole...

Second pothole.

Slot with dead fall.

One of my favorite shots, down the rabbit hole.

Shaun's up. Shaun went down last on nearly every rappel (except this one) and pulled the rope, often while swimming.

Dave in the muck.

Shaun working out of a pothole. The water here was over his head.

First view of the Narrows.

Bo tying the most attractive pull cord knots I have ever seen.

160' final rap.

Going down. This elevator is an express..

Shaun at final rappel.

Out the Narrows.

Bo, if this thread was worthless without pictures, what's the appraisal now? ;)

The Sony TX-5 camera did well - a few user errors but I think it's a win overall. Better than the Olympus... Maybe not as bullet proof, but the touch screen and features win. Just need to baby it a bit. My philosophy on gear in a canyon? It's all going to get destroyed. Eventually. Probably because of a decision I'll make, starting with the decision to take it in in the first place. Harness, helmet, dry bag... Camera. Everything succumbs. It just depends on how well I can take care of it. Knowing that going in makes dealing with the inevitable demise of equipment easier.

Sweet pictures Deeps. Obviously you are in better shape then when you were whining about on the phone thursday. Didn't think you could make it down the narrows and then you decide to Imlay the next day, you the man. Oh and you didn't invite me. The narrows is one thing but Imlay.

so mark when do you want to go? I've done both Imlay and Heaps now. Offer still stand?

How about first part of next week? I have a couple of other guys that could go.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Bo_Beck View Post
    Ah but contraire Shaun! I did not jump any "rappels"; On the other hand I downclimbed many of the rappels that you did, but you just weren't there to watch, and then I just reported to you depth and any hazards you might encounter! The only one that I slipped a few feet was that one that had a log at the bottom and I stood on it and slipped. That was the only one that my head even went under water. I did slide a couple times and drop maybe 2 feet into the water where it was waist deep, but never with any momentum that would have been injurious. I was quite enjoying the downclimbing problem solving when I felt safe and confident.
    maybe my internet sarcasm font isn't working. my sincere apologies Bo. Yes I know you are a good down climber and never jump. I thought the "clear" comment was a give away as how you were joking the entire trip on how "clear" the water was.

just so everyone knows this: Bo is ALWAYS about SAFTEY & having FUN. Nothing less on his trips!

Edit: and if Bo catches you jumping even a small drop, or the end portion of a down-climb, he always tells you no jumping. I hope I make it clear to the people that post or view here that may not know him well about his safety and fun trips and my above comment was sarcasm and Bo never violated this rule.

There was a post ranking the top reasons why SAR is called out and jumping was near the top or the number one reason. I can't seem to find it. Shane, didn't you post it. All I'm finding is this post from Bo about jumping being the repeated reason as to why he is called out.

Quote Originally Posted by moab mark View Post
    Sweet pictures Deeps. Obviously you are in better shape then when you were whining about on the phone thursday. Didn't think you could make it down the narrows and then you decide to Imlay the next day, you the man. Oh and you didn't invite me. The narrows is one thing but Imlay.
    Oh, I knew the Narrows wouldn't be a problem... I was worried about doing anything serious the next day. I thought I would be nursing feet, knees, or maybe hips after walking from Chamberlin's in the river all day. But this Imlay opportunity was one I didn't want to say no to. Great group, great weather. I'd go anywhere with those guys. "Wish you were there".

Very nice TR! Questions though: 1) how was the water temp. 2) What mm were the wetsuits you were wearing 3) would you suggest less or more thickness for wetsuits. Just been eyeballing Imlay for a few weeks now. We last went through early spring. Just wondering if conditions have changed in 3-4 months.
    Thanks.

well conditions always change. second set of narrows after the cross roads was cold and from there on some pools were just as cold and others not as cold, but still cold.

I was wearing a 4/3 mm and layered some warm polyester clothes for extra warmth. I've been told by others this wetsuit runs warmer than other brands. In the very coldest pools I could tell the water was cold but it was tolerable and fine as long as I was swimming or moving. Out of the pools walking I was burning up in body heat immediately.

YMMV

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    I've been told by others this wetsuit runs warmer than other brands.
    and... which brand would that be?

Tom