Thread: Boundary Trail, Inkom Idaho

Adventurer at Large! BruteForce's Avatar

Boundary Trail, Inkom Idaho

This area is the most narrow, rugged and off camber double track I've ever ridden.

About half-way through, I hit something and put well over 40+ plugs in my left/front tire. Several of us hit something along the trail, but I suffered at least a 2" gash in my sidewall.

I heard the pop and saw an explosion of green as the "slime" sprayed out of the tire.
    Initially, I didn't think plugs would work, so I cut up a foam air filter, wrapped it in plastic wrap (from my sandwich) and crammed that into the gash. The foam filter was too flexible, so didn't hold and just fell out.

I then put the 40+ plugs in and it held for about 10 minutes and two air refills, but after that, they all just fell out and the tire was 100% flat.

We were only half-way through the track (about 27 miles into it). It was a tough ride with 4 good tires, but I was out a front/left tire.. oddly, the one tire that was probably the most required due to the trail leaning that direction.

Suffice it to say that you CAN run a Bighorn flat for 12+ miles over some very hostile terrain. I show an after photo where you can see the sidewall is just trashed after we made it off the mountain.

A few photos and videos:

My attempt (was initially successful - You can see there's air in the tire) to plug up the gash.

Obviously the plugs came out, and I just made the decision to ride it out. Look at the sidewall. That's what happens when the tire is catching all the rocks because there's no air.

Here, Dennis (m74me) is demonstrating in his best Vanna White.

Full story plus Garmin tracks available at:
    http://utahbruteforce.com/bruteforce...kom-idaho.html
    2020 Jeep Gladiator (2" Lift, 37" Tires, Falcon 3.3 Shocks, Lockers, Sliders)
    2018 Polaris Sportsman XP 1000 (Hunter Edition)
    2014 Polaris Sportsman XP 850 HO EFI EPS (Browning Edition)
    2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Laramie/Resistol DRW (~800HP/1400TQ)
    Yukon Charlies 930 Trail Series Snow Shoes
    5.11 Tactical Coyote Boots

The random world and adventures of BruteForce

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

That trail was awesome on dirtbikes but I can see how it would be rough on atv's. That sucks about the flat bighorn. Thanks for the pictures

Fourty. You need to plan one of these Idaho trips and let the vegas crew know so we can partake of some of this goodness! Don't hold out on us.
    beefcake. BEEFCAKE!

Damn Brute! Sucks about your tire. Looks like you had a great time and made the most if it. Flats blow!

Awesome videos!