Thread: Death Point in Zion

Death Point in Zion

Anybody here ever hike it?

I know about the private property issue so not interested in that route. The topos seem to suggest you could do it from the bottom but who knows?

Anybody have any experience with it?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The topos seem to suggest you could do it from the bottom but who knows?
    I've been to Death Point when I descended the canyon system east of it. As far as getting to Death Point from the bottom, I would say that the chances are extremely slim unless you are an expert big wall climber.

Thanks for that. I've been looking at this for a long time. It looks like you could get there from the east via La Verkin cr. and some bushwacking. The last thing I want to do is piss those ranchers off. Thanks for your response.

If you find a route, or get permission I would love to tag along!!!

I have been out on Death Point, many years ago. I knew the landowner to the north. Not sure has has the land now.

I know this post is a year old but I came across it when searching for Death Point on Google. I have done Death Point a few times in recent years....below is a link to a quick blog I have on it. I have done all 5 Kolob Fingers now, just did Herbs Point this past week after the fire.
    The logistics to gaining access to the fingers is one thing, the biggest problem is fighting the brush once on top!
    I tried to post a link for my blog but it will not let me, so if you are interested email me at rjhooper(at)rjhooper.com

Quote Originally Posted by rjhooperphoto View Post
    I know this post is a year old but I came across it when searching for Death Point on Google. I have done Death Point a few times in recent years....below is a link to a quick blog I have on it. I have done all 5 Kolob Fingers now, just did Herbs Point this past week after the fire.
    The logistics to gaining access to the fingers is one thing, the biggest problem is fighting the brush once on top!
    I tried to post a link for my blog but it will not let me, so if you are interested email me at rjhooper(at)rjhooper.com
    Hey, welcome to Bogley. Spam settings won't allow link-posting until you've posted a few times. You should have a look around, introduce yourself, participate; you sound like our kind of people.

Death Point has been an ongoing point of interest to me. This is probably old news, but back in the 60s and 70s, you could hike in from the north, no problem, and it was written about in the old "Guide to the Trails". Then according to the people I have spoken with privately, relationships soured between the NPS and several of the landowners to the north of the park; it had to do with maintaining the access road and building an appropriate trailhead and parking area (or lack of will to do such).

I know a few people who have hiked here with several owners' permission a few years back; I'd love to see this more accessible in the future. From the historical photos I have seen, you get a really wonderful view, including yet another unique angle of the Kolob Arch. Oh yeah, and everybody loves the bushwhacking!

Thanks Don! thats what I am trying to do a little bit! tons of awsome resouces here!