Thread: HDR Help Needed

HDR Help Needed

Took over 2000 photo's on my trip to Escalante, Bryce, Zion and Mesa Verde and have all the software required but my results are less than optimal. I was shooting with a Canon Digital Rebel Xti in Raw mode using a 10-22mm Ultra Wide lens. A lot of my photo's were shot without a tripod which I think is the bulk of my problem but even the pics I took using a tripod have a lot of ghosting in the image as if the originals aren't aligning.

I'm using Photomatix Pro and Photoshop CS4 with Noiseware Professional and have tried all settings without much luck. I have even tried to load all the originals into layers in Photoshop and nudge the layers that way. I tried creating layer masks to show some of the better detail but with so many photo's and little experience doing this, it would take me more time than I have patience to self teach myself.

I can get very good results from just manipulating a single neutrally exposed raw image in photoshop but when I try to combine the three as an HDR I get all of the misalignment.

Is there something I'm missing in the process? I've been reading the tutorial from this sight: http://www.stuckincustoms.com/hdr-tutorial/

Any help would be appreciated.
    -------
    Jeff

"Be who you are, say what you feel.
    Because those that mind don't matter and,
    those that matter don't mind"

~Dr. Suess~

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

tripod. tripod. tripod.

but that said, i almost never use HDR. it looks fake to me. i prefer simulated graduated ND filters, because it looks like film. (and they are easy to replicate.)

summit is the HDR king. he probably has a decent workflow. but, i imagine the secret is to make sure that your tripod is solid, and the bracket is fast.

Wanted to try the HDR method just to get some of those over the top images. I still have my single shots in RAW that I can correct the exposure in photoshop but was hoping to just jump into the HDR world. Obviously I didn't read far enough to know I should of had a tripod for every shot. Just old habit not to use one in high light situations.

A good workflow would be helpful though.
    -------
    Jeff

~Dr. Suess~

Stability is the name of the game when it comes to HDR especially with a "slower" camera like the xti.
    The latest versions of photomatix are pretty good at eliminating ghosting and moving objects but obviously a stable set of bracketed images always work better.

If you want to email me some bracketed RAW files I can process them and send you the settings. I am out of town for the rest if the week (currently sitting in an airport) but should be home sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Stability is the name of the game when it comes to HDR especially with a "slower" camera like the xti.
    The latest versions of photomatix are pretty good at eliminating ghosting and moving objects but obviously a stable set of bracketed images always work better.

If you want to email me some bracketed RAW files I can process them and send you the settings. I am out of town for the rest if the week (currently sitting in an airport) but should be home sunday.
    Thanks Summit, I'll send some next week. Have to bring the boat back from the lake this weekend. I appreciate the help.
    -------
    Jeff

~Dr. Suess~