Thread: Cuberant Lakes Basin- Uintas- Sep 2010

Cuberant Lakes Basin- Uintas- Sep 2010

This was my final backpacking trip of the season. We decided to return to Cuberant Basin where we spent Labor Day weekend last year. It is a pretty hike, not too technical, and then you have an entire basin to explore while you are there. While this is not the most difficult trail in the Uintas, there are some sketchy sections that I would not take small children on or dogs that have a hard time on rocky trails, a fall on these areas would for sure cause injury. The camp sites are plentiful throughout the basin, and firewood seems to be pretty plentiful. Our site at Cuberant 3 is about as epic a camp site as you can get. The fishing is pretty good with dry flies, though spinners got a few of them over the weekend as well. I wish ibenick would have stayed until Monday, the fishing Sunday on our hike through the entire basin was incredible. We fished Cuberant 1 and Cuberant 2 until dusk. I landed 15 fish total on Sunday alone. We basically had a fish cookout Sunday night, which we all were stuffed from. Our final night out there it dipped to 29.2 degrees according to the Suunto I had hanging just outside my tent at 5:00 AM. We had a great morning at our site though a little chilly, and then packed it up with a stop at Cuberant 2, then a brisk hike out with only a pit stop at the junction. At the car for the tradition of the brew after a hike, and then it was off for our traditional after the trek Uinta Drive through for a Cheese Burger and a Raspberry Shake. Epic on all accounts, ibenick was a favorite new guy this year with the crew, and we had a good time, despite the fact that the dogs outnumbered the crew. Love them dogs! It has been an incredible summer, new areas, new adventures and new friends. Life is good, cant wait until next season. Until then, bring on the fall colors for hiking and bring on the pow pow!
    Last edited by Dr. Nebz; 12-23-2011 at 04:44 PM. Reason: Leaving

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Glad to hear the fishing was better at the other lakes! I'm surprised it only got down to 29 up there considering it was that cold at much lower elevations in the Wasatch.

Quote Originally Posted by ibenick View Post
    Glad to hear the fishing was better at the other lakes! I'm surprised it only got down to 29 up there considering it was that cold at much lower elevations in the Wasatch.
    Yeah, Sunday was great. Cuberant 2 was on fire! Colin was killing it there! I nailed most of my fish there as well. Elk Hair Caddis was the winner Sunday. I was getting them to hit it on the drop. The Cutty that I landed at Cuberant 1 was the biggest of the trip according to Colin and Chris. BTW, any idea what happened to those Brookies we landed that I had knotted on my stringer on Friday? I find it pretty hard to believe that a cougar or even a dog could have undone those knots I tied for each fish. And the stringer was still there, as if someone or something pulled it out, undid the knots, undid the stake from the ring, took the fish and put my stringer back with courtesy. I think Sasquatch nabbed our fish! Or another hiker that happened along when we were not looking. But those eyes from those visitors Friday night were pretty spooky too. Things that make you go "Hmmmm....."

It was so cold Monday morning. I could not feel my feet until about 10 AM. We all got up about 7:30 AM and got the fire going again and made coffee. I am sure it was probably colder than 29 degrees, that is just what the Suunto said at 5:00 am when I got up to put on another pair of socks.

Great to get out with you this past weekend. The crew and I thought you were really cool and they said you are welcome anytime we go. We will try not to "Bear Paw Bandit" too many pancakes next season!

Have a great time in Escalante!