Thread: Wind Rivers (Gannett via Wells Creek)

Wind Rivers (Gannett via Wells Creek)

I started a thread a few months ago asking if anyone had been to the Winds recently
    (http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...62-Wind-Rivers). We just got back yesterday and thought I'd post a TR.

Sept 1 - Headed out with Dave and Lane to the Green Lakes trail head and camped at the campground. Clear night, didn't put the fly on the tent and everything got a little damp.

Sept 2 - Took our time getting going and ended up hiking the 12 miles in to what would be our base camp for the rest of the trip. Our packs were heavier than usual since we had our mountaineering gear (including a rope that we thought we might need) and lots of junk food. =) Found a decent spot in between the Green River and Wells Creek. Went to bed fairly early in anticipation for summit day (Gannett Peak).

Sept 3 - Up by about 6am and out of camp around 7 to make our first attempt at Gannett Peak. In hindsight, We probably should have left earlier. We worked our way up the steep canyon, route finding our way through trees and boulders...and boulders...and more boulders. Got to the crux where if the water is too high, some climbing might be required. We were able to cross without incident and left some of our technical gear. More boulder hopping. We worked our way around Many
    Bug, Scott, and 'the skinny' lakes and headed left (where we should have gone right) up past a cool waterfall, then around a small lake to Minor Glacier. At this point I was hammered and due to various circumstances called it quits and told the other 2 I was gonna head back. They worked their way up the glacier for a bit but also decided against continuing (fatigue, knowing daylight might be an issue, a very icy and hard glacier, etc). So, we struck out on our Gannett attempt. Kinda a bummer but still a scenic hike. Down we went the way we came. It was almost worse heading down the steep boulder hopping route. We got back to camp safely and very hammered! =)

Sept 4 - Recoop day! We slept in, read, played cards, did a short day hike. Saw a couple of moose. While we were chilling a day hiker walked right by us (quite a coincidence!) and just about jumped out of her shoes when we said 'hello!'. =)

Sept 5 - We debating breaking up the hike out into 2 days...but as always...we opted for getting the h out and having an extra day back at home before work on Tuesday. We flew out after talking to a number cool people including Phil (guy that used to work at Hansen Mountaineering). Headed home tired and pleased even though our first attempt at Gannett was unsuccessful. We knew what we were getting ourselves into with the Wells Creek route. Oh well...next time we'll get 'er!

Some pics:
    Hiking in (4 pictures below):
    Name:  Wind Rivers Sept .jpg
Views: 1535
Size:  81.2 KB

Views: 1513
Size:  120.6 KB

Views: 1496
Size:  116.6 KB

Views: 1382
Size:  171.7 KB

Wells Creek boulder hop fest (3 pics below):
Views: 1355
Size:  49.3 KB

Views: 1426
Size:  127.9 KB

Views: 1561
Size:  90.9 KB

It opens up. Many Bug Lake, Gannett in the background:
Views: 1919
Size:  98.6 KB

The 'skinny' lake and Gannett:
Views: 2495
Size:  101.2 KB

Unnamed lake and Minor Glacier(?):
Views: 1469
Size:  147.9 KB

Lane and Dave can be spotted in the middle of the pic where they called it quits:
Views: 1441
Size:  165.3 KB

Recoop day where Dave and I hiked up the Green River for a bit. More log/boulder hopping. Ugh! =) (2 pictures below)
Views: 1394
Size:  129.4 KB

Views: 1449
Size:  124.4 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Awesome. Awesome. Awesome. Thanks for posting! I need to get me some Wind River action and fast!

Quote Originally Posted by ibenick View Post
    Awesome. Awesome. Awesome. Thanks for posting! I need to get me some Wind River action and fast!
    Np. Thanks to you as well...I enjoy your posts and TRs. Your Cuberant trip looked fun. Nikita pics made me laugh!

Excellent. I've wanted to be in the Square Top mountain area for a while, it looks awesome up there.

Wow! What a rugged approch to Gannett. I had thought about that approch forever but decided to do the Titcomb Basin route. It was much easier than what your pictures look to be. Thanks for the TR

Great TR! Looks like an epic trip.

Awesome trip and pics. My parents live in Lander. This makes me want to take more trips up that way. Perhaps I'll need to take 3-4 days off this summer for an extended "visit".