Thread: Numb testicles while riding

Numb testicles while riding

OK, a little too graphic, but a serious mountain biking topic.

So I was rid- I mean my friend was riding and this is what he told me.

I was riding Snowbasin's Coldwater Canyon trail last week and pushing it pretty hard. I was focused on not stopping at all. As I got within @ 200 yds from the top, I noticed a pain down yonder. As I'm still peddling, I reach down and to my shock it was all numb down there.

I immediately got off my bike and had to double check if it was just my gloves or if it was really completely numb down there. It was, so I decided to walk the bike for a bit. It wore off after about 5 minutes.

I wasn't sure if pain was going to come surging back or not, luckily it didn't. But anyways, this had me concerned.

I'm assuming a better seat would help, one with the split down the middle. For those of you who know me, I'm not one to spend more than $100 on my old bike, so what's a good decently priced seat that will solve this problem.

...or, is this likely to happen often? I've been riding almost every week and this is the first time it's happened. --but, I usually take more breaks on the climb too, this time I was just pushing it. (I promise I would have made it all the way without stopping if this wouldn't have happened. )

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

what you want on your bike is a padded tractor seat and at least 650 cc's. you will never feel it again.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

I'm pretty sure this is a well known problem for cyclist. Happened to a m...a friend of mine...too a couple of times back when he rode a lot.
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

It's actually a friction burn from having so much hair. Come over tonight with a bottle of wine, 3 disposable razors, and some shaving cream and I'll help you fix er up.
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathcricket View Post
    It's actually a friction burn from having so much hair. Come over tonight with a bottle of wine, 3 disposable razors, and some shaving cream and I'll help you fix er up.
    Shaving cream is for pansies

OK then bring everything on the list minus the shaving cream.....

OK, I'll be serious. Find a Specialized dealer, where they have a sit bones measuring device. Get your sit bones measured, then pick a saddle within your price range, with the center cutout. I've had good luck with the Specialized brand saddles.
    Are we there yet?

Quote Originally Posted by tallsteve View Post
    OK, I'll be serious.
    you know there had to be one in the crowd.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

Don't think of it as a $100 investment in your bike. Think of it as an investment in your .... Uhhh....uhhh nether region.

Cool, thanks Steve. I assumed I needed one with the split, but is the "soft" split ok too?

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    Cool, thanks Steve. I assumed I needed one with the split, but is the "soft" split ok too?
    Cutouts work for me but not everyone.

Triple check the tilt of your saddle first though. The saddle has been working for you for quite some time, hasn't it? I ride for hours at a stretch and regardless of whether or not there's a cutout, if the nose is 1/8" too high, I get numbness in the jewels. If the nose is 1/8" too low, my hands get numb from continually pushing my butt back onto the saddle.

Maybe your body fat has gotten to too low. A saddle that's too soft means my sit bones sink in too far and the same problem manifests itself. Too hard and it's my sit bones that suffer. I'm sure there are several other ways to end up with the same problem.
    seen all good people turn their heads each day so satisfied I'm on my way...

Quote Originally Posted by cachehiker View Post

Triple check the tilt of your saddle first though.
    Now that you mention it.... I did adjust my seat about a month ago. I forgot about that.

I just chalked it up to staying on the seat longer than usual, as I'm one to take a break quite often on the climb. Thanks for the tip, I'll check that out.

my ummmm friend has this problem sometimes too i made a slight seat adjustment and it fixed it right up
    "Idontgiveshitjustdothedew"

Now that I am done laughing (sorry man, i giggle still!), I agree with the saddle tilt. Being as my piece of shit saddle post that came with my new Stumpy continually works its way loose, I can really tell the difference when I tilt it forward to level or just slightly forward. It not only helps the nuggets, it's also more comfortable over all.
    I just dropped by to see what condition my condition is in.

I think wearing some padded bike shorts would help also. I know you frown on Lycra, but if you wear them under those fashionable gym shorts, no one will know.
    I just dropped by to see what condition my condition is in.

I moved my seat back more today, that really seemed to help. I could feel I was more on my "butt bones" today.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    I moved my seat back more today, that really seemed to help. I could feel I was more on my "butt bones" today.
    Good to hear.

One of these days I'll find my way south again to ride with you and the rest of the hard core Bogleyite mountain bikers.
    seen all good people turn their heads each day so satisfied I'm on my way...

Start wearing biking shorts and look into WTB seats, for your price and every price range they make some of the best seats around and you can find great deals on them all over. Chainlove.com recently had there WTB rocket pro for 20.00 or so, hell of a deal. Get some good biking shorts and ditch the gym shorts it will help all around.

Two wheels are better than four, keep the rubber side down.

I second the WTB seats.