Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cataract Canyon trips

Quote Originally Posted by moab mark View Post
    How they getting back upstream?
    The 5 of us are splitting the cost of renting the canoes, paddles, groover and firepan from Tex's in Moab. When we arrive at Spanish Bottom (just below the confluence with the Green River), Tex's has a Jetboat that they run down the river and pick up folks that need a shuttle back to Moab, and run the customers and canoes back upriver to Moab. We used the same service when we did the Green River from Ruby Ranch to Mineral Bottom last october, except that the shuttle was via Van and Trailer back up Mineral to Moab. Great operation that Tex's has.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by ibenick View Post
    But without a guide or the luxury of having friends that raft, how would someone like myself get into such an activity? I'm thinking hard about buying one of these trips. It will be nice to have them cook for me and all that but more than anything I just want to get out there. Without friends that already do this stuff it's kind of the only option.
    In the early 90's I met folks that were river guides on the Grand. They asked if I'd like to do a trip and I said yes. Working as a swamper on 2 upper Grand trips was a blast! One trip was a "Deadhead", meaning that there were no paying customers, just boatmen (and boatgals) running empty boats to Phantom to pick up paying customers. I was eventually asked in late 90's to row a baggage boat on a commercial (same company 'Sleight Expeditions- High Desert Adventures') down the San Juan. 5 or six years back one of my friends (commercial guide with OARS) invited Tanya and I on a private on the Grand. Since then I've played around on rivers a bit by trial and error (Deep Creek-Zion Narrows) and most recently hooked up with friends doing the Green, San Juan and now Colo. River thru Cataract. A fair amount of planning takes place and research to understand what you'll be getting into. This winter I hope to do a 150 Mile Canyon "Canyoneering" to the River and then down on packrafts to Tuckup and out. I'm pretty certain that our planning will begin on this trip that we are embarking on this sunday. As Alex put it: You pretty much just have to make the Committment and Do It! I assure you......you won't regret it Commercial or Private. It's frigging AWESOME and more ADDICTIVE than Crack!

I've taken quite a few people down rivers with me, I don't think anyone got into it heavy. A lot of people want to be weekend passengers. The river really shows it's glory when you are faced with a class 4-5 rapid staring at you and you are committed and pushed away from shore. No way but down with the river thundering ahead. Your heart is about to jump out of your chest, the water is raging down below. The last look over your gear, everything secured, everything is rigged to flip and then the ........... calm.

That calm is what every river rat out there spends thousands of dollars, months of planning and hours of discussions. The calm of skills kicking in, because your brain can't process the environment fast enough when the river takes you and pushes you down. All you do is keep your bow down ignoring the screaming passengers who are getting hit in the face with a raging water, who are getting tossed left and right and hopefully stay in the boat. Up down, left right and then it's calm. We made it.... we didn't flip and then the cheer of joy is heard from everyone. Young or old, skinny or fat, ugly or uglier.... on the river everyone is the same. And you want nothing else but to take your raft up top and do it again.....

Until you sit behind the oars and stare at the unknown below you will not experience the joy of the river. It is truly more addictive than any other sport I have ever tried. Just something about being away from everyone in the most remote areas and making home in one piece.

Here is a video of my Cat trip last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Until you sit behind the oars and stare at the unknown below you will not experience the joy of the river. It is truly more addictive than any other sport I have ever tried. Just something about being away from everyone in the most remote areas and making home in one piece.
    Yee Haw! Not too sure what it'll be running on the 16th and 17th, but this ought to be awesome on the Packraft!

Question Alex: On the upper Colo. how is the firewood supply? I'm planning to bring 6 firelogs and a big bag of split firewood from home, but for Cataract it looks as though wood wasn't too big an issue? Yes? No?

We didn't have much fires on the upper Colorado, but there is drift wood everywhere, plus all the dead tammies to cut down and burn! Past Big Drops there is a ton of drift wood, just stop and gather some before making it to camp.

We didn't have much fires on the upper Colorado, but there is drift wood everywhere, plus all the dead tammies to cut down and burn! Past Big Drops there is a ton of drift wood, just stop and gather some before making it to camp.
    Thank you Alex! I think I'll scrub bringing along a bag of split wood then.
    Just got a call from GoPro and they're overnighting me a Gopro HD Helmet Hero! If I can get it to adapt well to my helmet before I take off on Sunday I ought to get some awesome video like yours to share!?

I'd get an extra battery and a big SD card

Here is a video of my Cat trip last year.
    Great video, Alex. Thanks for posting!

To the original poster, I wouldn't go to Cataract for my first rafting experience, or at least go in October (low water). Cataract is classified as one of the biggest whitewater in the United States at high water. I personally would start out with Desolation canyon or Lodore/Yampa if you are lucky enough. Of course if you go with a commercial then anything is doable.
    You know, at my age, I just want to go down it to see what it's like. I'm probably not going to have the funds or the time to make it something I do regularly for the rest of my life. I don't live near enough a large river to actually learn what I need to learn to do my own trip. I can definitely see your point though, and maybe if I can sell my novel, I'll be able to have enough time and money to devote myself to some of my desired pursuits. Until then, I'll provide the toilet paper.

I'd get an extra battery and a big SD card
    Should be coming with the camera. I specified an extra battery, but I may have to go pick up a 16 or 32 gig card.

Quote Originally Posted by Wasatch Rebel View Post
    You know, at my age, I just want to go down it to see what it's like.
    A lot of river rats I know and some of the toughest sobs out there are way over the hill. If you want to do it once, then by any means call a commercial trip. I listed above the ones I got good feedback about or floated with their guides.

A lot of river rats I know and some of the toughest sobs out there are way over the hill.
    Are you referring to me Alex?! No really though, the river trip Tanya and I did in the Grand a few years ago had Jack at age over 70 and OC (who's probably rowed the Grand more than any other human alive) also over 70. Rich, who I did the San Juan with and will be doing Cataract with, I'm guessing to be in his mid 60's? But it is a commitment to pick it up as a new hobby and go full tilt with it. Can be pretty expensive and time consuming for sure! Can't beat the peacefulness, comraderie and pure excitement of a good river trip though!

I'm enjoying the energy in this thread!

To Shane: I did the exact same "booked your cruise for you, Dear" trick on my wife! It was the Grand for our 10th anniversary.

About the passengers treating a commercial trip like Disneyland: I don't think we were that way. Of course, I'm biased to not view myself that way. It is a fact though that we spent more time hiking with the guides than hanging with the clients on the river. Every time that boat hit the shore we were off exploring and then later partying with the guides and the few other hardy clients also up for it.

This is inspiring me to get planning on an easy trip like the Green to Spanish or the San Juan.
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

Grand is a bit different, since you have some time to know people and get into the groove of things. I guess I was referring more to daily and overnight trips. If you've ever done any dailies you'd know what I am talking about. The commercials pack those boats so tight with people, run them through and send them on their way. Being on the river is all about kicking back, having a cold one and bsing with everyone till weeee hours of the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Bo_Beck View Post
    A But it is a commitment to pick it up as a new hobby and go full tilt with it. Can be pretty expensive and time consuming for sure!
    That's what I mean. I'm not too old, but picking it up full tilt as a new hobby--well, I've already got so many things lined up in the queue that I just won't end up having time to learn it. Who knows though? Maybe I'll love the ride so much it will spur me on to drop everything else I'd planned and move river running up to the front of the line. I've done some rafting and canoeing on the Snake--smaller stuff of course, and that sure was fun.

Grand is a bit different, since you have some time to know people and get into the groove of things. I guess I was referring more to daily and overnight trips. If you've ever done any dailies you'd know what I am talking about. The commercials pack those boats so tight with people, run them through and send them on their way. Being on the river is all about kicking back, having a cold one and bsing with everyone till weeee hours of the morning.
    WoW! I have a Facebook account that I mostly neglect, but every once in a while I stop in to take a look. I noticed that Kase (a friend of the husband of one of my ex-employees who was a river guide up in Montana) will be doing Cataract on what he is billing as "The Booz Cruise" on the same dates as we will be there! Maybe we can hook up for some of those weeeeeeeee hour bsing sessions and tip a few together! COUNTING DOWN 2 Days to go!

Bo check your PM
    Got it. Thanks Alex.

20 hours to go! I'm set. Foods done, packraft and gear packed, liquid courage stashed, Gopro mounted, permit in hand! Now just need to try to get some sleep tonight! Nah!

Quote Originally Posted by Bo_Beck View Post
    Got it. Thanks Alex.

20 hours to go! I'm set. Foods done, packraft and gear packed, liquid courage stashed, Gopro mounted, permit in hand! Now just need to try to get some sleep tonight! Nah!
    17 Hours to go!~ Do I sound like a little kid? At heart you bet! Forgot a few things so it's back into town then it's SLEEP! S@#t You gotta be kiddin'! Mike, Rich, Rocky, and Dave.......and peacefulness......whoa! Lets getdoonandoonpuckaroon! Wonder if the stars will be out? Oh...PS...Dave your wife brought over the permit that you forgot! Last night on the Grand for you and then it's right back on the water!