Thread: Any classes around here?

Any classes around here?

I guess I'd like to at least learn how to set up a rope and biners for rappelling. And some of the basics for how to secure the rope, along with some canyoneering basics. Even a one day class would be better than the nothing I currently know--although I've been rappelling before, someone else set it up.

So, I guess what I'm asking is, I usually work on Saturdays, but I have September 18th off and if anyone knows of a class that some place like REI or elsewhere is offering--as long as it's close to Salt Lake--let me know.

(Mod Note: Moved from Hiking; more relevant here)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    well shhhhhhhhhhhhh. don't let anyone know. wouldn't want another repeat to what happened to spidey's free workshop thread. but . . .

sounds like a ACA basic skills workshop or something similar would meet your needs. ACA basic skills workshop is free

this would be the best place to check for availability
    http://www.meetup.com/ACA-Canyoneering/

if after a while one isn't scheduled in the fall in the local area let me know and I'll schedule one.

shhhhhhhhhhh

Quote Originally Posted by trackrunner View Post
    well shhhhhhhhhhhhh. don't let anyone know. wouldn't want another repeat to what happened to spidey's free workshop thread. but . . .

sounds like a ACA basic skills workshop or something similar would meet your needs. ACA basic skills workshop is free

this would be the best place to check for availability
    http://www.meetup.com/ACA-Canyoneering/

if after a while one isn't scheduled in the fall in the local area let me know and I'll schedule one.

shhhhhhhhhhh
    That's some great info, trackrunner. None I can make it to, and none nearby, but I would definitely be interested in some of these types of courses in the future. And I didn't see any basic skills workshops on the calendar--but I will keep checking back. Thanks!

Blog Entries
    sorry Wasatch Rebel,

There isn't too much help up here for beginners. There are rock climbing classes - but those run $150+/day. My friends and I have put on a free workshop back when we were attending Weber University and Dixie State (2006 and 2008) and we just focused on the basics. Nothing too exciting...

There needs to be more classes and workshops...100% agree.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

There's a rope skills class at Hansen Mountaineering (north Orem) on the third Saturday of every month (the 18th just happens to fall on the third Saturday ). See http://www.12fingeradventure.com/ for more details. Cost is $79, or $59 for boy scout leaders. I haven't taken it and can't vouch for the program, but at least it's something.
    Blog | FB

Quote Originally Posted by Udink View Post
    There's a rope skills class at Hansen Mountaineering (north Orem) on the third Saturday of every month (the 18th just happens to fall on the third Saturday ). See http://www.12fingeradventure.com/ for more details. Cost is $79, or $59 for boy scout leaders. I haven't taken it and can't vouch for the program, but at least it's something.
    Thanks, Udink. I'll check into that.

Three people in the Salt Lake City area are very close to completing their requirements for becoming ACA instructors: Steve Jackson, Clark Wiscombe and Jim Clery. Quite a few courses planned in the very near future. Most will be hosted by Out 'N Back in Orem.

U of U will be using the ACA curriculum for its canyoneering courses beginning next spring.
    Rich Carlson, Instructor
    YouTube Channel: CanyonsCrags

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rcwild View Post

U of U will be using the ACA curriculum for its canyoneering courses beginning next spring.
    Interesting. Can you provide any more information for this? Have to be a student? Prices? Etc.
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    Interesting. Can you provide any more information for this? Have to be a student? Prices? Etc.
    Sorry, I don't know the answers re UofU. Jim Clery will be the primary ACA instructor there. Not sure if he is on Bogley.

SUU here in Cedar City is also using the ACA curriculum. They do require student registration.

Both U of U and SUU will also issue credit for completion of ACA courses through our training centers. One credit hour per 3-day course.
    Rich Carlson, Instructor
    YouTube Channel: CanyonsCrags

Each canyoneering course is 316.00 for non-credit students. There isn't a link for registration yet as the Spring calendar isn't complete. The dates are as follows:

Technical Canyoneering:

Class Meets: Wednesday, 03/02/2011 (6:00 - 9:00 pm) and Wednesday, 03/09/2011 (6:00 - 9:00 pm)
    Field Trip: Friday, 03/11/2011 - 03/13/2011 (Leave early on Friday. Finish class early morning on Sunday.)

Advanced Canyoneering:

Class Meets: Wednesday, 04/06/2011 (6:00 - 9:00 pm) and Wednesday, 04/13/2011 (6:00 - 9:00 pm)
    Field Trip: Friday, 04/15/2011 - 04/17/2011 (Leave early on Friday. Finish class early morning on Sunday.)

This is part of the continuing education department so you can take them without ever being admitted to the U. I've taken several classes through them, if you or your spouse works at the U then you can get 50% off the tuition of these courses. I'd love to hear if anyone does one, I get that 50% discount so if they're any good it might be worth it to me. Just looked through them and they have some backpacking+fly fishing courses too. Cool stuff.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SLCmntjunkie View Post
    Each canyoneering course is 316.00 for non-credit students. There isn't a link for registration yet......
    Thanks man! Sounds like I'll need to register when it's open...

Thanks again.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

If you want to learn some simple basics of rappelling, it's best to get a friend or someone in the "know" to take you so you can get some one on one learning, imo. You'll probably get more from a class after you have the simple mechanics down first.

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wasatch Rebel View Post
    That's some great info, trackrunner. None I can make it to, and none nearby, but I would definitely be interested in some of these types of courses in the future. And I didn't see any basic skills workshops on the calendar--but I will keep checking back. Thanks!
    What date do you want for a basic skills workshop? I'll put it on the schedule.
    http://www.meetup.com/ACA-Canyoneering/ideas/411187/

Looks like Spidey (Steve Jackson) and Clark Wiscomb are now official canyoneering Guides and Instructors. Jim Clery is also I believe. I am confident Spidey and Clark will announce classes very soon.

BTW, Jim Clery teaches a heckofa Wilderness First Responders class if any one needs/wants that certification or instruction. I just took it and learned a ton and had a great time.
    Life is Good

Clark and I are teaching an ACA technical canyoneering course in Orem, Ut on the 4th, 6th, 11th, and 13th of November. The 4th and 11th will be in the evening after work. The 6th and 13th are Saturdays and will be all day. You can PM me for more details. We look forward to serving you. Thanks Clark and Spidey

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey View Post
    Clark and I are teaching an ACA technical canyoneering course in Orem, Ut on the 4th, 6th, 11th, and 13th of November. The 4th and 11th will be in the evening after work. The 6th and 13th are Saturdays and will be all day. You can PM me for more details. We look forward to serving you. Thanks Clark and Spidey
    Some people "go" through life and other people "grow" through life. -Robert Holden

If there is more interest in an advanced canyoneering course or a canyon rescue course we will switch to the most requested, or provide both. Again PM me for more details or go to the ACA meetup.

Content Provider Emeritus ratagonia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spidey View Post
    If there is more interest in an advanced canyoneering course or a canyon rescue course we will switch to the most requested, or provide both. Again PM me for more details or go to the ACA meetup.

Hard to follow the 'advanced' course without mastery of the basic material presented in the "Technical Canyoneering" course. If anything, perhaps doing a (1/2 the time) "high-speed technical canyoneering" course would be the NEXT act, for those who have a pretty good basis in technical ropework.

Tom

[QUOTE=ratagonia;417741]

Hard to follow the 'advanced' course without mastery of the basic material presented in the "Technical Canyoneering" course. If anything, perhaps doing a (1/2 the time) "high-speed technical canyoneering" course would be the NEXT act, for those who have a pretty good basis in technical ropework.

Excellent point Tom, I guess I was thinking more along the lines of if there were more people who felt they were to the point of experience they were ready for the advanced course. A fast track through the basic then into some advanced is probably a good idea for many. I will have to see about getting something like that planned.