Thread: SLC --> Partner(s) wanted to decend Great White Icicle in Little Cottonwood

SLC --> Partner(s) wanted to decend Great White Icicle in Little Cottonwood

Thanks for clicking...I am looking for a partner(s) to do the GWI route canyoneering style in LCC near Salt Lake. I'd prefer someone who's done this route previously and can do the route finding, but a GPS unit and decent experience would be sufficient. I'm a titch-more-than-moderately experienced canyon leader with a climbing background. I'll make it worth your while...accoutrements on me...I have a massive cooler full of ice cold sierra nevada PA in my truck and more... I have the gear... even extra, and I suppose you do, too. (got a spankin new Sterling high tenacity polyester static we can grind up on those quartz monzonite, granite-like, non-sandstone-like edges)
    Should be fun..WILL be safe...
    -David

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

When were you wanting to go?

I could get out labor day Monday afternoon, or Fri, Sat, or Sun any start time. Or if it's after next week, the day will depend on my harsh schedj...

Did you find a partner? I'd like to know if you did it and how it went?

I have had my eye on this route, for a while now, as well, and had been wanting to do it. This last weekend, my wife and I were contemplating doing it, wish-washing back and forth whether or not to try it this last holiday weekend. Then, on Monday (Labor Day), around 10:00, we decided to go out and give it a try.

We through all of our canyoneering gear into the Jeep, and headed toward LCC. According to the beta on climb-utah, it suggests wetsuits, especially when the temps are not in the high 90's, as you will be rapping down the waterfall in the cold water. We knew that the high temps in the valley were only supposed to be near 70, and as we approached LCC, it was barely creeping above 65.

My hope was that with it being so late in the summer, and there being relatively little rain fall in the last week, or so, there might be little to no water coming down the waterfall, thus we wouldn't have much water to contend with. So, we decided we would hike up to the base of the falls, and scout out the water fall flow, and determine from there if we want to risk it.So, we went on up to the power plant, parked there, found the Temple Quarry trail, then the hiker made trail to the base of the granite slabs with the climbing bolts. We went to the left of the slab, and found the water fall, and found that there was some fair amount of water coming down. The temps at that point were likely 10 degrees or more cooler than in the valley, the entire route was in the shade, and there was a cool breeze = could be very cold, especially without wetsuits. We didn't want to risk getting in that cold water, and having our hands and fingers get numb from the water. We decided it would be a better call to wait until a warmer day to try this, and headed back home.

We have tentatively set a day, either Friday or Saturday, of this weekend (Sept. 10, 11) to attempt, hoping for warmer temps. When we looked at the forecast yesterday, it looked like they were predicting Sat. to be in the upper 80s. However, right now, it is showing an expected high of 77 for Sat., and even colder on Fri. If that changes as the week goes on, and it looks like it could be in the upper 80s for Sat., then we will likely attempt it. If you are interested, let me know, and we can meet up.

Quote Originally Posted by BasinCruiser View Post
    According to the beta on climb-utah, it suggests wetsuits, especially when the temps are not in the high 90's,
    Actually.... if you are a paddler and have a splash top and waterproof pants that is the ideal setup. But most people don't have a splash top lying around the house like I do....

Re:

BasinCruiser: I thought for sure it'd be chilly at least for the Oktoberfesters at Snowbird, even more for traipsing through fresh runoff... PM Sent

Iceax: I understand-no swims....I have the paddle top but not the pants...suggestions?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Petzl_Pretzel View Post
    Iceax: I understand-no swims....I have the paddle top but not the pants...suggestions?
    Just go buy a pair of cheapo rain pants at Wal-mart. This same set up works well in several wet canyons (Pleiades, Rocky Mouth). The only problem with GWI is you are in the spray for about an hour and it can get cold without some protection.