Thread: BL and then some.

BL and then some.

Kick starting the running forum a little so here's a bit of an older trip. July 3rd, a couple of us ran from the Divide TH to Ben Lomond Peak, tacked on Inspiration Point and headed back down. Roughly 20 miles round trip, but worth every step. There was a mess of goats near Willard Peak that we ran near.

A couple of weeks later, some of us made the Divide to BL to Willard to Divide to Lewis to Divide monster run. 31 miles, over 7,600 ft of elevation gain. I earned every beer I drank that day.

I made a little vid during the first trip. I apologize in advance for any seizures induced.

I also made it up to BL last Saturday, weather was outstanding.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Pretty darn impressive! Are you all carrying camelbacks in these runs? What size? Do you have any way to restock with water? When I've done 18 or 20s here I have one bottle in a belt, usually stash another bottle somewhere or we do a double loop of sorts where we can get back to the cars for food & water.

On a related note, anyone ever been to the real Ben Lomond in Scotland? It must be quite a place because those Scots named so many other places after it. There's the town down the road from me here in Santa Cruz County. There's a peak outside of Queenstown NZ and your peak as well.
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

Now there's a run with a view.

Great TR.
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves."
    -John Muir

Quote Originally Posted by ststephen View Post
    Pretty darn impressive! Are you all carrying camelbacks in these runs? What size? Do you have any way to restock with water?
    On longer runs I'll wear my 2 liter Salomon hydration pack (probably switch to a Nathan shortly) in addition to a 20 oz. handheld filled with an electrolyte/carb drink (usually EFS). We were able to restock during the 31 mile excursion due to the fact we hit the cars at the TH before the Lewis ascent. I've got a couple of monsters planned around here that I'll have to stash some H20 and food on though.

Question

Im new to that area and love the trails - can you pop me an email so i can pick your brain on how to access that trailhead and other running in the eden area...Thx...Joe Tammaro

I love the Ben Lomand Trail! It's one of the best runs anywhere. Especailly along the ridge and the trail that links Ben with Inspiration Point. A nice variation of that is to go all the way up and over Ben Lomond and Willard Peak and down the "new" trail to Perry Canyon. I think they call it the Grizzly Peak trail. It's around 23 miles. The only downside is shuttling a car. I have to admit I've never even thought of doing your Ben Lomond and Lewis link up. That's a heck of a good run! Have you ever considered linking Ben, Lewis, and Mt. Ogden in a day? (Fifty miles maybe?)

Myself and a few friends ran up Ben Lomond Sunday via the North Divide out and back. The colors were amazing. You better get it in the next week or so or the window is going to shut for fair weather fall running on BL. The weather was cool, low to high 60's, overcast and threatening rain. The final push to the summit had some snow and mud. A little treacherous if you chose to run it going down.

I'm the only one that brings a camera so it is always my running partners in the photo. This is somewhere on the switchbacks above the parking lot.
    Name:  IMG_4137 (Medium)..jpg
Views: 214
Size:  101.9 KB
    It's your fault, you shouldn't have been there!

Quote Originally Posted by Gambel Oak View Post
    Myself and a few friends ran up Ben Lomond Sunday via the North Divide out and back. The colors were amazing. You better get it in the next week or so or the window is going to shut for fair weather fall running on BL. The weather was cool, low to high 60's, overcast and threatening rain. The final push to the summit had some snow and mud. A little treacherous if you chose to run it going down.

I'm the only one that brings a camera so it is always my running partners in the photo. This is somewhere on the switchbacks above the parking lot.
    Name:  IMG_4137 (Medium)..jpg
Views: 214
Size:  101.9 KB
    Whoah! Excellent photo.

Quote Originally Posted by Gambel Oak View Post
    Nice shot. I never bring one on my training runs, but I am enjoying taking one for the races. I hope to get some good NY shots in a couple of weeks.
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

Visitors found this page by searching for:

Outdoor Forum