Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where would you live if you could choose?

Where would you live if you could choose?

I boat, waterski (Hydrofoil), Snowski, Hike, Rappel, Fly, and am looking into paragliding but can't do all of those things where I currently live. It seems that Southern Utah or close by with Arizona and Nevada may be a good place to relocate for all these things.

Since I probably can't afford lake front property I'd be towing my boat to wherever I needed to ride so somewhere within an hour or two of Lake Powell would be great.

Any suggestions?
    -------
    Jeff

"Be who you are, say what you feel.
    Because those that mind don't matter and,
    those that matter don't mind"

~Dr. Suess~

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I think if I could live anywhere in the U.S. it would be Kanab or somewhere very near there. IMO it's the perfect location to have the best of every season within a reasonable distance. I've already started priming my wife to live there someday... we'll see.

I'm living in my first choice :)

....but GJ's probably a little further from Powell than you would like to be.
    Randy Langstraat
    ADVENTR.CO | Anasazi Photography

Blog Entries
    This isn't ideal but it works really well. Live south of salt lake, not like Provo (Scott Card will argue this) and lake Powell is about a 4 hr drive. Moab is about 3 hrs. Zion is 4 hrs. Ski resorts and 30min to an hr away (with numerous options).

And hyrdofoiling would work good on the great salt lake and also you have other numerous options with reservoirs and hiking destinations.

Plus, a major airport and smaller airports surround you for flying or skydiving...

Southern Utah is great, but if you want different hiking options (like alpine to desert) and more things to do-not to mention better night life or even city life...St. George wouldn't cut it. But if you are fine without that stuff, than st. George to kanab would work.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Quote Originally Posted by IntrepidXJ View Post
    I'm living in my first choice :)

....but GJ's probably a little further from Powell than you would like to be.
    We drove through GJ on our way out to Zion last week, it's a nice town. Kanab sounds good as well. We did a Driving tour from Green River down 24 to 12 into Escalante then over to Zion back out through Kanab down to the Grand Canyon, back up to Page, Mexican Hat, over to Durango, up to Montrose through Gunnison and then home.

I liked Kanab a lot but didn't get to stop there. I noticed a real nice area on 89 between Mt. Carmel Junction and Hatch, It just seemed a bit far from and decent size municipality.
    -------
    Jeff

"Be who you are, say what you feel.
    Because those that mind don't matter and,
    those that matter don't mind"

~Dr. Suess~

I'm pretty happy where I'm at. I love the red rock but I love even more the alpine stuff. Every summer activity and every winter activity up here in Ogden. International Airport just 35 minutes away, Ogden airport right here, less crowded than happy valley (and from what I can see, better mtn biking than the provo area), and still close enough to Salt Lake to catch an evening bike ride.

But if I were elsewhere, it'd have to be St George or nearby. I'd have to live close enough to Vegas to see the major events/concerts and the airport.

Quote Originally Posted by p40whk View Post
    I liked Kanab a lot but didn't get to stop there. I noticed a real nice area on 89 between Mt. Carmel Junction and Hatch, It just seemed a bit far from and decent size municipality.
    Yeah, I would like it better if Kanab was just a tiny bit larger but it's getting close to the sweet spot for me. That area just north of there on 89 would be perfection if Kanab had just a few more good stores, etc.

The think I like the most about Kanab (aside from all the amazing desert scenery nearby) is that it is so close to the edge of the Colorado Plateau. At 5000' the climate there will always have distinct seasons, but if you want to find warmth in the winter all you have to do is drop into St. George down there at 2800'. The high mountain opportunities are good too, Skiing not too far away at Brian Head, high alpine lakes over near Escalante on Boulder Mountain. Mmmm... Kanab.

Bogley BigShot
    Away from the cities, where the air is clean, traffic is mild, people are mostly drug addiction free, scenery is gorgeous, summers are not blistering hot, winters are mild, people are kind and I am the hottest female in town. ~laughing~ Granted there are few jobs that pay well, but to retire its nice. There is a new project up on Sugar Knoll for NICE log cabin homes.

East Zion!

I have never ever liked Kanab at all and assume most small towns have its problems. It floods often (why dont they fix that?), many of people are prejudice and cliquish - far more than the norm, the BLM types are mostly hated, - my belly dance teachers husband was Thom, the head scientist for the GSENM - they went to a dinner by the city, and whereever they sat down, the locals got up and left. The city council is run by the good ole boys, its not clean and quaint like Springdale (which I do like, but I don't know the inner workings there) and I would not get to drive through Zion every time I go to town. The only saving point was Boone, the Valley's Commissioner and good old boy, but he fought for what is right no matter what. I adore him, but his term is ending.

SLC area the air is too dirty and its just too BIG!

Vegas is too HOT! Too dirty and the people are crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    This isn't ideal but it works really well. Live south of salt lake, not like Provo (Scott Card will argue this) and lake Powell is about a 4 hr drive. Moab is about 3 hrs. Zion is 4 hrs. Ski resorts and 30min to an hr away (with numerous options).

And hyrdofoiling would work good on the great salt lake and also you have other numerous options with reservoirs and hiking destinations.

Plus, a major airport and smaller airports surround you for flying or skydiving...

Southern Utah is great, but if you want different hiking options (like alpine to desert) and more things to do-not to mention better night life or even city life...St. George wouldn't cut it. But if you are fine without that stuff, than st. George to kanab would work.
    Yep; American Fork. The only real problem is finding someone to date in mormon-ville. (Nothing against mormons; I'd date 'em, but it seems pretty clear that they don't want to date me. + + = )

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    + + = )

That pretty much sums it up!

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    (Nothing against mormons; I'd date 'em, but it seems pretty clear that they don't want to date me. )
    You're wrong. Some of them have very very very very very very low standards.

Quote Originally Posted by Sombeech View Post
    You're wrong. Some of them have very very very very very very low standards.

if i had a choice, i'd take alaska in the summers, and southern utah in the winters. if i could only choose one location? torrey utah.

French Alps for the summer and winter (Chamonix?)
    S. Utah for the Spring and Fall (Springdale? Escalante/Boulder?)

Problem is my wife is cold adverse and likes being near her family here in Nor Cal.
    It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life. - Ten Bears, "The Outlaw Josie Wales"

wanaka, new zealand. where i am at in new zealand has all that you are looking for within 30 minutes of my house.

otherwise i do like flagstaff.
    But if I agreed with you, we would both be wrong.

Torrey Utah for me.

Torrey
    For sure

damn. if all you fools want to be in torrey too, i'm getting the hell out. i change my mind to loa.

Damn. Torrey must be nice. I switch my vote to Torrey!

I do enjoy the dummy in the cop car that is inevitably in one of those towns...