Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help! Camping Spot Near St George?

Help! Camping Spot Near St George?

Hey Guys. I need help finding a good backcountry spot to camp within 45 mins of st george tomorrow night.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I do have 4wheel drive so thats not an issue.

One stipulation: There must be trees large enough to support hammocks.
    Anything form short backpacking to car camping. All ideas are welcome.

Thanks in advance for your generous help.
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves."
    -John Muir

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Blog Entries
    I would say "Red Cliffs Recreation area". It costs $3 for entry per car and I think $7 or $10 for camping per night. Vault toilets, clean water, big cottonwood trees, even a small slot canyon within 10min of the trailhead that even contains a waterhole to play in. And it's about 15min away.

Another place is up Oak Grove up towards the Pine Valley mountains. Large pine trees abound. All dirt roads. About a 45min-1hr drive. And it's free.

Another spot, that costs money like $10/night is up around Gunlock reservoir. Great scenery and lots of cottonwoods in that area. But maybe you could find a place for free along the way up there. There are lots of dirt-road paths branching from the main road. About 30-45min away.

Have fun!
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    I would say "Red Cliffs Recreation area". It costs $3 for entry per car and I think $7 or $10 for camping per night. Vault toilets, clean water, big cottonwood trees, even a small slot canyon within 10min of the trailhead that even contains a waterhole to play in. And it's about 15min away.
    Every time I drive by Red Cliffs, the road is blocked by construction equipment resurfacing the road. And the pass under the freeway is roped off with caution signs. Just keep a backup plan just in case. Pine mountain on either side is really nice and large pine tree like ya want though. I know Dave (theking) who posts in the mtn bike forum, has camped in a hammock in that very area. He had a nice setup going when I visited him. but Red Cliffs is definitely closer, so I would try that first for sure.
    Your safety is not my responsibility.

Jman you must drive like a grandma I would vote oak grove, there could be a spot for a hammock at the end. It takes me about 30 min to get there and about 40 min to get to pine valley which is about 36 miles.

You don't need a hammock if you can find a nice sandy spot.
    Candition.com | Canyon Conditions

<%@me = User.find_by_adventurer(params[:theking648])%>

Red cliffs is a great spot and my first choice although I think its still closed. You can camp many places on the way up to oak grove I can think of several places that you can have a hammock along the way. Mosquito cove is on the way to Zion on the right side about a half mile before coalpits wash, Pretty cool little spot but expect to share it with people. There is a place just north of virgin on kolob terrace road that you can camp on the right side that has trees too.
    I need a Canyoneering partner! I have a open schedule, all my own gear and am looking to go as much as possible..PM me!

Thanks Everyone for the great suggestions.
    It looks like red cliffs is closed right now for repaving or something.

Quote Originally Posted by DSTRBD View Post
    Mosquito cove is on the way to Zion
    Didn't that place shut down a year ago because everyone dumped their crap in the river?
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves."
    -John Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Rau_Dawg33 View Post
    Thanks Everyone for the great suggestions.
    It looks like red cliffs is closed right now for repaving or something.

Didn't that place shut down a year ago because everyone dumped their crap in the river?
    it was open in February :) been a good quick free place to camp a number of times for me when I was more into backpacking southern utah (and didn't have kids)
    Tacoma Said - If Scott he asks you to go on a hike, ask careful questions like "Is it going to be on a trail?" "What are the chances it will kill me?" etc. Maybe "Will there be sack-biting ants along the way?"

Its always open when I drive by, I have been past there 20 times in the last month or so and see people camping there everytime.
    I need a Canyoneering partner! I have a open schedule, all my own gear and am looking to go as much as possible..PM me!

Oak Grove is definitely a great place. With a flowing stream, a few free campsites, and less people, this is my preference.

Its always open when I drive by, I have been past there 20 times in the last month or so and see people camping there everytime.
    OK. This is why i asked. http://www.bogley.com/forum/showthre...to-Cove-Closed

Oak Grove is where we'll probably end up. I was just there yesterday doing some bouldering. Driven through several times and always wanted to stop and check those boulders.
    For the most part the stone just sucks. But we did find a few really classic hard lines.

I have camped back in Pine Valley before. May go back. Still not really sure.
    -John Muir

Blog Entries
    yea, if red cliffs is temporarily closed. I personally would skip Mosquito cove, and head to Oak Grove. Mosquito cove is too noisy (usually mexican music till midnight), hot, usually tent & RV city in that crowded area...and lack of bathrooms on a floodplain.

If you head about 15min pass Oak Grove, you will hit some a big pullout (near the turkey farms) which have a nice running stream, lots of trees, grass, and hardly anyone up there. And it would be a LOT cooler up by Oak Grove than anyone near Zion, which always adds to a better sleep, for me anyways.
    ●Canyoneering 'Canyon Conditions' @ www.candition.com
    ●Hiking Treks (my younger brother's website): hiking guides @ www.thetrekplanner.com
    "He who walks on the edge...will eventually fall."
    "There are two ways to die in the desert - dehydration and drowning." -overhearing a Park Ranger at Capitol Reef N.P.
    "...the first law of gear-dynamics: gear is like a gas - it will expand to fit the available space." -Wortman, Outside magazine.
    "SEND IT, BRO!!"

Red cliffs is a great spot and my first choice although I think its still closed.

I think it's open again. I was there two weeks ago. Maybe it was only temporarily open.
    --
    Matthew

"If your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously reexamine your life."

Quote Originally Posted by mtthwlw View Post
    I think it's open again. I was there two weeks ago. Maybe it was only temporarily open.
    According to the BLM:
    "Temporary Closure ofRed Cliffs Recreation Area for Road Repaving
    Beginning June 1, 2010 the St. George BLM Field Office will temporarily close the Red Cliffs Recreation Area to all public use for 60 days while the access road to the area is repaved. The Recreation Area located approximately 15 miles north of St. George, Utah includes a developed campground, day use areas, hiking trails and other visitor amenities. The access road to the Recreation Area will be completely resurfaced and the road shoulders widened, improving the safety of the road for visitor travel when the project is completed. As the existing road paving must be removed, and heavy equipment will be in operation throughout this project, the access road to the Recreation Area will be closed to all public travel from its intersection with old Highway 91. This project is being funded through the American Reinvestment and Recovery Act (ARRA)."

I would like to go there but unless anyone solid knowledge of whether it is open or not i will just wait and do it in another trip.
    -John Muir

Beginning June 1, 2010 the St. George BLM Field Office will temporarily close the Red Cliffs Recreation Area to all public use for 60 days
    Haha... I just did the math. So it should be open then.

I think we'll head that way and Oak Grove will be Plan B.

Thanks again for all the help.
    -John Muir

Sorry Im a little late but the Red Butte Wilderness Area is pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by mattandersao View Post
    Sorry Im a little late but the Red Butte Wilderness Area is pretty cool.
    Is that by Zion? I think i've heard of it.
    -John Muir

One more ?

Does anyone know if Dogs are allowed in the Red Cliffs?
    -John Muir

Quote Originally Posted by jman View Post
    Another place is up Oak Grove up towards the Pine Valley mountains. Large pine trees abound. All dirt roads. About a 45min-1hr drive. And it's free.
    Hey Jman, I thought oak grove was a pay campground? Or are you talking about camping in the pullout/side roads on the way there...I'm all for free camping, esp. if there's water/toilets nearby.

One more ?

Does anyone know if Dogs are allowed in the Red Cliffs?
    Yes, at least I have had my dogs there many times, its a state park so there should not be any issue. Ill go by there tomorrow and see if its open.

Zions the "s" is silent trackrunner's Avatar
    Yes, at least I have had my dogs there many times, its a state park so there should not be any issue. Ill go by there tomorrow and see if its open.
    state or BLM?
    http://www.blm.gov/ut/st/en/fo/st__g...ampground.html

I know snow canyon is state.