Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Silver Lake is SMOKIN

Silver Lake Flat is SMOKIN

Well let me just put it this way. My boys and I have caught a total of 3 trout over last last few years.

So I heard Silver Lake was good and so I grabbed the 9 and 5 year old and headed up. It only about 33 minutes from my door to the water. Not bad.

There were only 4 other people there, 2 older couples, one from Layton and one from Alpine. They were really killing them on just a worm on a bobber, so thats what we did.

The nice folks up there also taught me when to reel them in. I grew up pulling Large Mouth bass out of ponds and lakes and there is more muscle than finesse involved. They taught us to just be patient as they are bumping it and waiting till the bobber goes under to start the reeling in.

It was a hoot and the fishing was good enough the boys were glad they went.

I am itching to go up there again as I suspect I could catch as many or more alone, as I would not be spending all the time messing with the boys gear, but then I would not be fishing with my boys.

I suspect double this catch could be done fairly easily.

Good times, and dont forget a warm jacket or coat, its COLD up in them there hills.

Are these all Rainbows???
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

PS. If you go up in the evening make sure you have a bright yellow or Orange bobber. Our red one were almost impossible to see most of the time.

PS #2 All you real fisherman who rely on trickery to catch your fish be nice, the boys need to have fun before we get all carried away with the method.

PS #3
    Check this poor feller out. There were several birds fishing as well tonight. They were doing very well. Looks like this one had a run in recently with a feathery friend.

PS#4
    We just threw the fish in a bucket and brought them home. They are all stiff now. Are they ruined??
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by JONBOYLEMON View Post
    PS #3
    PS#4
    We just threw the fish in a bucket and brought them home. They are all stiff now. Are they ruined??
    Nah. Rigor mortis or something... happens all the time.

If you want some more good bait fishing like that with the kids try Rockport. Once I started using Power Bait there I was catching them right and left... and they were big.

The 2 fish at the bottom of the lineup are brookies. The rest are rainbows.

No worries about the stiff fish. That's normal. Run some cold water over the bodies while massaging the fish back to shape if they won't sit in the pan the way you want.

Pretty colors on those bows. Glad you got out with your boys.
    Lost On A Hill

Utah Water Log

Whoops sorry, its "silver lake flat" I always get sl, slf, and sl up by brighton confused. This was the one you can drive to up AF canyon. High clearance 4WD might be a good idea if it rains.

Whoops sorry, its "silver lake flat" I always get sl, slf, and sl up by brighton confused. This was the one you can drive to up AF canyon. High clearance 4WD might be a good idea if it rains.
    I thought that was pretty strange when you said there weren't very many people up there... makes more sense now.

PS.
    One of the ladies up there last night was telling me you can take the fish, clean them, and put them in a freezer bag and cover with water and then freeze them. They will store all winter and just defrost in water when you want them.

Is that all there is to it?

Sounds like a good idea.

Also I heard there is alot of winter kill up there. I think I need to go save a bunch more fish from freezing to death, while they are still alive.

I've heard that's a good way to freeze them. The ones I keep never get frozen, since they're usually eaten within a couple of days.

Not trying to preach, but the possession limit for trout is 4 fish. That includes your freezer, so don't save too many.
    Lost On A Hill

Utah Water Log

Quote Originally Posted by LOAH View Post
    Not trying to preach, but the possession limit for trout is 4 fish. That includes your freezer, so don't save too many.
    Wow. I knew it was 4 but I thought it was 4 per day or something. Crazy to think that they would regulate your limit based on how many you have at home uneaten.

4 total? Or 4 per person. If its myself & 2 boys I thought we could keep 12 fish. I read the fishing guide and was pretty sure I read it right.

Also I had no idea we could only have 4 in the freezer. That seems a bit odd.

Since we had trout last night, It was MMMMmmmm Mmmmm good, Do the trout in my tummy count? Looks like I have some reading to do before bed tonight.

P.S. went up again tonight and brought home 6 nice ones. My 5 year old caught most of them. We also seem to be setting hooks better as most are hooking in lips now vs down deep.

It's 4 per person with a fishing license. I'd love to find out about the freezer thing but I'm not motivated enough to read the book. That and I rarely keep fish, too much work.

Sorry, it didn't click that you were taking your kids. Yes, that would allow for a total of 12 fish.

But my main point is that the daily bag limit and the possession limit are two separate limits:

You may keep up to 4 trout in a day (barring special regs). *Daily Limit

You may only have 4 trout in your possession for any period of time. This includes on your person, in your home, or anywhere else you have stored your fish. *Possession Limit

So if you catch a bunch of fish and keep 4, pop them in your freezer, then go out and keep more before those are either consumed or prepared for consumption, then you'd be in violation.

If you were spotted by a Conservation Officer with 8 fish (of yours) after a campout, you'd be cited. The Uintas offer a 4 trout bonus if at least 4 fish are brook trout. Same with parts of Boulder Mtn and Ferron Reservoir (total of 8 trout/day - possession).

If you smoke them, pickle them, cook them, or prepare them in a way that they are ready to eat, they no longer count against your possession limit.

Fillets are not considered to be "prepared for consumption", by the letter of this regulation. Same with cleaned fish.

Make sense?
    Lost On A Hill

Utah Water Log

I'll add that this limit can also affect your legal ability to fish waters with special regulations. If you just came from a general regs lake (all lakes with special regs are listed in the handbook) and have a full limit of 4 fish, you wouldn't be elligible to fish at a place that only allows for 2 fish or special size restrictions.

An example would be that if I just fished at say...Currant Creek Reservoir and kept a limit of cutthroats, I'd be in violation of the regulations if I were to succomb to the temptation of Strawberry while driving by. At the Berry, you can only keep a total of 3 cutts if 2 are less than 15" and only 1 is over 22". Fishing there with the limit of cutts from CC would automatically put me in violation of the special limit, and possibly the size restriction too.

Sorry to ramble about the boring regs, but they're real and if you don't read the proc every year, you could find yourself getting fined for something that you didn't know about. I was just thinking about the different ways that the bag/possession limit could bite someone who wasn't doing anything wrong on purpose.
    Lost On A Hill

Utah Water Log

Well I thought I had it figured out when I read this.
    "Residents and nonresidents who are under 12 years of age may fish without a license and take a full bag and possession limit. "

So me and my 9 and 5 year old could have 12 trout from 1 days catch, but could only take home 4???? or were you saying "me by myself and 8 fish" would get me in trouble??

Anyways now that I have the fishing bug again I am finding there a bass locally and I almost think I would rather catch them than trout and filet them bad boys up and cook them in some hot oil. Now thats good eating!!!!!

PS #2 I also tried some flies behind a water bobber and had a few hits but never got anything to take it. Bummer.

Thanks in advance for lending your knowledge of the laws to keep me out of trouble.

PS #3 There was NO one else up there tonight other than some guy across the lake but he was not fishing. What a great little spot!!!!!

Ps # "whatever"

We are taking the scouts camping and plan to head to Electric Lake next weekend. We will be 15 minutes from that lake overnight @ 10,000. May be a "Cool" night. Any suggestions on how to get the best fishing action for 12-14 yr old scouts? We plan to be @ the lake by 7:00 am Saturday morning. All the boys have licenses.

Or is there a better lake up there to go to? I am not familiar w/ the area.

This is one of the regulations that I have a problem with, but that's just because coming from Kansas, the possession limit in generally 2 - 3 times the daily limit.

So me and my 9 and 5 year old could have 12 trout from 1 days catch, but could only take home 4???? or were you saying "me by myself and 8 fish" would get me in trouble??

No, each of you could take home 4 fish.

Anyways now that I have the fishing bug again I am finding there a bass locally and I almost think I would rather catch them than trout and filet them bad boys up and cook them in some hot oil. Now thats good eating!!!!!

Just be careful about taking home bass. Most bass waters in the state either don't allow anything over 12" to be kept or a small amount. You'll want to research the specific water's regulations. Some places are mandatory catch and kill (Grantsville Reservoir, Green River), so no sweat.

PS #2 I also tried some flies behind a water bobber and had a few hits but never got anything to take it. Bummer.

Keep trying. Make sure your fly is at least 4 feet away from the bubble, maybe more. A great fly for this is a renegade or a parachute adams. Buggers also work...even marabou jigs under a bubble.

Thanks in advance for lending your knowledge of the laws to keep me out of trouble.

Thanks for not taking my info the wrong way. Just trying to help.

PS #3 There was NO one else up there tonight other than some guy across the lake but he was not fishing. What a great little spot!!!!!

Sounds like a neat place. Makes me wonder where you were...

Lost On A Hill

Utah Water Log

1k post for LOAH. NOT to shabby.

PS #17. Went yabby fishing again up at Strawberry tonight. This time the crawdads won. They were few and far between. But we only got 12 pounds or so. Last time it was not even a sport, more of a slaugher. Oh well we will eat them anyways.

Also put a worm 5' under a bobber and there the worm stayed ALL NIGHT. Not even a bump.