Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colorado Adventure 2010

Colorado Adventure 2010

The Cochetopa Hills

August 25, 2010

Last Wednesday I headed out on my Colorado Adventure. While I didn't make a set itinerary for the trip this year, there were a few areas that I wanted to explore further, and I tried to connect them into a big loop. From Grand Junction I headed south to Montrose and continued on US 50 towards Gunnison. After a quick side-trip on Blue Mesa and then topping off my gas tank in Gunnison I continued on to CO 114 and my first destination; The Cochetopa Hills. I had driven through this area quickly a few years ago when I took Los Pinos Pass over into the San Juans, and I was itching to get back and explore some more.

Pretty soon I had spotted a side road named Camp Kettle Gulch Road. I figured that it was a good time to get off the pavement and get the real trip started. I was greeted by some nice scenery.

Hardened lava along the road

I didn't consult a map before heading down this road, so I wasn't sure if I would be turning back around or finding another way out, but as luck would have it, this road ended up connecting to the Table Top Road and bringing me back to the highway right near the start of Los Pinos Pass.....and right where I wanted to be!

While making my way towards Los Pinos Pass, I passed a sign that I don't remember from my last trip down this road.

I love checking out historic routes, so I just had to follow this section of the Saguache - San Juan Toll Road constructed by Otto Mears and Enos T. Hotchkiss in 1874.

Much of it was in the trees.

Then I ran into a traffic jam. They were slow to get out of my way....

Two-tracking out of the trees

Randy Langstraat
    ADVENTR.CO | Anasazi Photography

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Lucky for me again, this trail looped back around to the Los Pinos Pass Road. Before reaching the pass, I turned off so that I could loop back to Dome Lakes.

I passed through Willow Park

...and then Big Meadows

Then through this row of aspens

But before I reached Dome Lakes, I was side-tracked by another segment of the toll road.

This section was all out in the open, travelling across the rolling hills.

Randy Langstraat

My favorite kind of roads

This segment brought me near Dome Lakes.

Next up I made my way up and over Cochetopa Pass

Cochetopa Pass marker and history

Shortly after I was across the pass I headed into Taylor Canyon

...which brought me back under CO 114
    Randy Langstraat

On the other side of the highway I made the short loop up and over Lujan Pass.

When I reached the highway again, it was time to start looking for a campsite for the night. I headed back up towards Cochetopa Pass and pulled off onto a side road, where I found a nice place to spend the night.

Before getting some sleep, I was treated to a great sunset.

The moon even seemed extra large when it rose over the hills and mountains

It was a great way to start my Colorado Adventure!

The full photo gallery from this day can be found here: Cochetopa Hills Photo Gallery

Stay tuned for the next four days of my adventure. To be continued.....
    Randy Langstraat

Very nice! Great pic's.
    I need a Canyoneering partner! I have a open schedule, all my own gear and am looking to go as much as possible..PM me!

"Boy, she's a bonanza!"

August 26, 2010

Those were the words a prospector shouted two miles upstream from Bonanza. That's how the town got it's name....and Bonanza would be my destination for the second day of my adventure. This town's population jumped quickly to around 5,000 in 1880, and those people left just as fast in 1890. I would be exploring the roads that they once traveled and would stop to check out the old mining relics along the way.

Before I could get to Bonanza, I would have to head out from camp. I followed a loop from the side road I had camped along to make my way back to the highway.

When I reached CO 114, I headed southeast to Saguache and filled up my fuel tank. From there I continued on to Villa Grove and then took a left onto the main road that heads into Bonanza along Kerber Creek.

Pretty soon I had reached my destination.

Unfortunately, Bonanza is all private property, so you can't really do much exploring of the old buildings in town. I did snap a few photos from along the road.

You can check out this cabin at the townsite of Exchequer, which is a few miles north of Bonanza.

Soon I turned off the main road to check out the Slaughterhouse / Kerber Creek loop trail.

Cocomongo Mine and Mill

Randy Langstraat

Before reaching the end of the loop, there was a sign to Mosquito Lake, so I figured that I would check it out.

When I reached the main road again, I made my way over to the Rawley Mine

Here there was an informational board about the Bonanza Off-Highway Vehicle Tours in the area. There were even some nice color-coded maps of the trails. If you would like to download a copy of these maps, you can find them here: Stay the Trail Maps

All of the main trails on the map were also signed and color-coded to match the maps. Some time and effort has been put into these trails here, and it shows!

Next I started up the Adler Creek trail.

....where I soon reached the upper portion of the Rawley Mine. There were plenty of buildings and structures still standing. I checked them out and took some photos :)

Randy Langstraat

After leaving the Rawly Mine, the trail continued to climb until it reached the Shawmut Mine and Round Mountain.

There was a trail up to the top of Round Mountain, so I had to head up there.

Nice views from the top at 12,036 feet.

Randy Langstraat

After leaving Round Mountain and heading back down the other side of the mountains, I came across another mine shaft.

Pretty soon I was back at the highway. I headed back south to the start of the Turquoise Mine trail.....which brought me back into the mountains again.

This trail then connected me to the Whale Hill trail which would bring me back over 12,000 feet and above tree line.

Climbing Whale Hill

On Whale Hill.....the San Luis Valley and Sangre de Cristo Mountains in the background

At the top of Whale Hill, there was another spur trail that I decided to follow. This spur ended up taking me over the peak of Mount Manitou and then back down to Round Mountain again.

Mount Manitou (12,010 feet) straight ahead

That pile of rock to the right is the peak of Mount Manitou

I love these roads above tree line
    Randy Langstraat

After heading back and finishing the Whale Hill trail, I was back at the Rawley Mine again. This time I would head north and follow yet another of Otto Mear's Toll Roads.

This wagon toll road once connected the towns of Bonanza and Shirley. The cost was 10 cents from all who entered the gates at each end.

There were some nice views from the highest points along this old toll road.

Back down on the other side. This trail is also known as Toll Road Gulch

Once past the old townsite of Shirley, I made a detour up Poncha Creek to reach Marshall Pass.

A few hundred feet from the pass, this fox crossed in front of me and stopped to watch as I passed by.

I continued on to reach the pass.
    Randy Langstraat

Before leaving the pass, the fox I had passed before came over and sat right outside the door of my Jeep looking up at me.

I sat and watched him for a little bit before I had to start heading down the old Marshall Pass railroad grade to Mears Junction. It was time for some fuel again, so I made my way to Salida for gas and a bite to eat.

I still had one trail to complete in the area, but it was getting late. I headed over Poncha Pass and then followed the short Poncha Loop trail to Clover Creek. Here I found a nice campsite with a nice view of the Sange de Cristo Mountains.

A little rain in the distance.

That rain and those clouds would make for a nice sunset before I got some sleep.

It was definitely a full day, but also a lot of fun!

The full photo gallery from this day can be found here: Bonanza Photo Gallery

Stay tuned for the next three days of my adventure. To be continued.....
    Randy Langstraat

livinutoutdoors.com
    Don't talk unless you can improve the silence.
    The trout do not rise in the cemetery, so you better do your fishing while you are still alive. SGH

Summitville

August 27, 2010

Gold was discovered in the Summitville area in 1870. The town at one time had a population of more than 1,500 and 2,500 mining claims were staked. At 11,200 feet on South Mountain, Summitville was once the highest major gold camp in Colorado. By 1889 there were only about 25 residents left in town. This would be my main destination for the day....but first I would have to get there.

Since I was camped just off of the Clover Creek trail, I finished up that trail and made my way back through Bonanza before heading up and over Ute Pass (9,944 feet).

Coming down from Ute Pass, overlooking the Cochetopa Hills

I reached CO 114 again just outside of Saguache and then headed east, where I picked up the Carnero Pass Road.

Headed south from Carnero Pass

Once I reached La Garita, I followed another dirt road further south to Del Norte. I fueled up and then headed towards Summitville along Pinos Creek.

I took a short spur trail to the summit of Grayback Mountain along the way

Grayback Mountain summit. 12,616 feet.
    Randy Langstraat

Nice view from the top

Pretty soon I reached my destination; Summitville. I hiked around and took a bunch of photos of the buildings still standing.

Randy Langstraat

Outhouse with a view
    Randy Langstraat

After finally leaving Summitville I made another short detour over Elwood Pass (11, 631 feet) on the Continental Divide

....then continued on south over Stunner Pass

From there I followed the Conejos River all the way to CO 17. I had originally thought I could take a trail back west over the Continental Divide from this point, but after consulting my maps, it appeared that I was mistaken. So my options were to head back east to Alamosa (out of my way) or dip down further south into New Mexico.

Wait, I thought this was a Colorado Adventure?

Lucky for me, this route through New Mexico followed the tracks for the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad. I stopped along the highway to take a few photos of the train passing by.

Amanda and I will have to make plans to come back one day and ride the train.

After crossing back over the Continental Divide...

...I made my way back north into Colorado again, and stopped in Pagosa Springs for some dinner and fuel. It was getting late, so I headed west out of town and took a trail to the top of Devil Mountain where I camped for the night.

The full photo gallery from this day can be found here: Summitville Photo Gallery

Stay tuned for the next two days of my adventure. To be continued.....
    Randy Langstraat

La Plata Mountains

August 28, 2010

From my camp on Devil Mountain, my goal was to reach and start exploring the La Plata Mountains. I didn't have anything planned, so I checked out a few trails along the way. When I reached US 160 again, I traveled further west for a few miles before turning off on the First Notch Trail.

I guess a stock Jeep is not a standard 4x4 ;)

The trail was a bit rock and muddy, but nothing I would consider difficult. It stayed in the trees most of the time.

One of the sections where it passed through a clearing

When I was almost to the end of the trail, I came across this large fallen aspen...

The trail beyond the fallen tree was nice and smooth

I wasn't sure if my winch would be able to move the tree, but I figured I would give it a try before turning around.....since I didn't want to head all the way back to the beginning again....

Lucky me, it started to move.

...but then I ran out of cable to the snatch block, so I had to setup on another tree to finish the job.

That was my excitement for that trail....
    Randy Langstraat

Soon I was back at the highway and then following the Los Pinos River to the Lemon Reservoir and up the Transfer Park Road which ended at the Weminuche Wilderness.

Lemon Reservoir

On my way back, I followed the Florida River to Durango, where I headed up the Junction Creek Trail.

When I made it back down to town, I gassed up the Jeep and grabbed some dinner. Then I headed west to the La Plata River and climbed up to Kennebec Pass.

Randy Langstraat

My destination is that notch in the ridge above my Jeep

At the top

Heading back down

Before going all the way back down, I took the short spur into Columbus Basin

It was getting late at this point, so I made my way to Mancos and started up the West mancos Road for a few miles until I found a campsite for the night.

The full photo gallery from this day can be found here: La Plata Mountains Photo Gallery

Stay tuned for the last day of my adventure. To be continued.....
    Randy Langstraat