Page 92 of 149 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394102142 ... LastLast
Results 1,821 to 1,840 of 2961

Thread: Where is it? (Poor mans version)

Re: Where is it? (Poor mans version)

No... try again

Sent using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    No... try again

Sent using Tapatalk

Your pants are on fire
    It's only "science" if it supports the narrative.

Spring Mountains from Lake Mead.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

The water in the picture is NOT Great Salt Lake and it is NOT Lake Mead.

Rockgremlin is closer than Scott........

And to get this correct you must name the body of water.

Doh! What was I thinking.

How about the Newfoundland Evaporation Basin.
    Utah is a very special and unique place. There is no where else like it on earth. Please take care of it and keep the remaining wild areas in pristine condition. The world will be a better place if you do.

Nope... but you are dang close.

Sent using Tapatalk

Nope.... getting colder...

Sent using Tapatalk

Where is it? (Poor mans version)

Lake Powell with the Henry's in the background?

Nope... but you are dang close.
    Yes. I know right where it was taken, but didn't know there was a name to a body of water other than the evaporation basin.

If anyone does know a name for the body of water, here are the clues:

The barren mountains in the foreground are the Silver Island Mountains and the snowy mountain in the background is Pilot Peak. It was taken from near the north end of the Bonneville Salt Flats and is looking west. Here is another photo, taken very close to the same place to the above, but without the snow or water:

Bonneville Salt Flats is what I was looking for.

The evaperation ponds (for the pumps) are further east.

The Salt Flats are under water for half the year, which is the reason they are so smooth (waves rolling back and forth).

Bonneville Salt Flats is what I was looking for.
    Hey, that's not a name of a body of water though; it's just what the water happens to be sitting on in the photo.

Anyway, the only reason I guessed at all is so I could hand my turn over to tmartenst, which I hereby do. I know most (not all) of the photos posted, but don't have the slightest clue about that one and am curious to find out.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott P View Post
    Hey, that's not a name of a body of water though; it's just what the water is sitting on in the photo.

Anyway, the only reason I guessed at all is so I could hand my turn over to tmartenst, which I hereby do. I know most (not all) of the photos posted, but don't have a clue about that one and am curious to find out.
    Ya that's the easy answer!

I also want to know about tmartenst's photo. Is it a graveyard?

Quote Originally Posted by tmartenst View Post
    Where is this?

@tmartenst

Looks like some kinda mining artifacts.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandstone Addiction View Post
    Looks like some kinda mining artifacts.
    ^^^THIS^^^

Looks like it carried a flume or pipe of some type.

Where is it? (Poor mans version)

Isn't that the graveyard up AF canyon?

Quote Originally Posted by moab mark View Post
    Isn't that the graveyard up AF canyon?
    No. The headstones there are plain rocks.
    Just where is it I could find bear, beaver, and other critters worth cash money when skint?

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    ^^^THIS^^^

Looks like it carried a flume or pipe of some type.
    Like the one that used to be in Big Cottonwood Canyon? I haven't been there since it was taken out but the limestone and quartzite looks right.

Yep, looks like part of the old UP&L Granite Flume.

Old Jeeper gets it (although mhambi is correct as well). This is accessed pretty easily by parking at one of the early turnouts in the canyon. If you keep following this downcanyon you run in to the failed Tavaci development where a herd of about 30 deer are the only inhabitants. Very cool place with a great valley view for such an easy hike.

I stole this from flickr just now:
    July 16, 2011, lower Big Cottonwood Canyon, Salt Lake County, Utah. Construction on the water flume (middle/right) began in 1896 and was completed in 1897. It remained in use until 1998 when it was replaced with an underground pipe. The total length of the flume was about 1.5 miles and its purpose was power generation: it connected two small power plants, the Stairs Plant at the upper, east end, and one at the base of the canyon to the west, the Granite Power Plant, and owned by the Utah Power Company (later Utah Power and Light). UP&L continued to own the flume throughout its life. Because it was built of wood, it had to be continually repaired. Rock slides and falling boulders also created problems. Documented occurrences involving damage to the flume for example happened as recently as July of 1987 and December of 1994 when the flume was still in operation.
    Despite the high amount of visitation that Big Cottonwood Canyon receives for both winter and summer recreation, visitors often are not aware of the existence of the flume that is perched high above vehicular traffic and that is mostly not easily visible when traveling up the canyon, and which is easily missed in view of its short distance and location on visitors proceed back down the canyon.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tonyfrates/5943792681/

22. Likes Sandstone Addiction liked this post